Hello and of course questions

GoldenMotor.com

Padanew

May 9, 2008
Hi my name is Padanew. I am interested with learning about motorized bicycles as a way of saving gas and applying my interest in mechanical devices. I already own a bicycle that is still in good shape. I am in good shape with a lot of lower body strength. Which puts me at over 300lbs. Okay, now for the questions.

1. I would like to know who is the best dealer in bike kits?

2. What size engine should I go with?

3. How well does the engine handle hills?

4. I have seen some engine models. Some mount inside the frame while others mount over the rear tire. Which is the best and why?

5. Are there any books I could read about to help me to understand more?

6. What are the most common problems that you run into and how do you fix them?

7. What are the rules regarding use in the U.S.A.?

8. Is there anything else you can think of that I would need to know about that I not experienced enough to know about?

I know this is a lot of questions. I hope you can answer them. Thank you for your time and attention.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hi my name is Padanew. I am interested with learning about motorized bicycles as a way of saving gas and applying my interest in mechanical devices. I already own a bicycle that is still in good shape. I am in good shape with a lot of lower body strength. Which puts me at over 300lbs. Okay, now for the questions.

1. I would like to know who is the best dealer in bike kits?
Dealers vary in there level of service...that'sdax (dacscommm ebay I.D.) is very good with after the sale service, you can't go wrong there.
2. What size engine should I go with?
If you can fit under moped laws in your state you may want a 48cc, but I would suggest the 70cc kit for anyone over 200#.
3. How well does the engine handle hills?
That depends on several factors...A 70cc engine with a stock 44T sprocket and my 200# will pull up any hill we have here in north east Ohio. There are other sizes of sprockets available up to 50T and one guy here sells sprockets in any size you want. Bigger sprocket + less speed, more pull.
4. I have seen some engine models. Some mount inside the frame while others mount over the rear tire. Which is the best and why?
That's partly a personal preference...some even mount over the front wheel, see my avatar. The frame mount kits cost the least, the GOOD rack mount kits a re a bit more pricey, easier to instal and have a little less power, but are generally smoother. You may get differing opinions on this one.

5. Are there any books I could read about to help me to understand more?
I don't know of any, maybe I should write one!

6. What are the most common problems that you run into and how do you fix them?
Intake air leaks seem common, but are very easy to fix and can be avoided altogether.
Some mounting problems can occur, but where there is a will, there's a way!7. What are the rules regarding use in the U.S.A.?

8. Is there anything else you can think of that I would need to know about that I not experienced enough to know about?

I know this is a lot of questions. I hope you can answer them. Thank you for your time and attention.
Also, looky here-this will help you aviod most problems right off and will make your frame mount bicycle motor kit most enjoyable! http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey Padanew, welcome to the forum. Looks like Joe answered most of your questions. I don't think I could add anything to what he said. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. I have two center frame mounts. They run great and are fun to ride.........................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. glad to have you with us. we are all here to help each other with our motorized bicycles (^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome,
I encourage you to take on the challenge. If someone with my low level of mechanical skills can do it anyone can.

I bought my kit on ebay, all the after the sale information you need is here. However after the sale parts are pretty hit or miss. In other words if you get a bad component some dealers will help some won't.

I don't recommend any particular dealer over another. pay your dollar take your chances. A lot of the ebay dealers are just passing on the kit and they are less expensive I think. If you want to pay for services you might not need then go with the more expensive dealers I guess