cant get it started

GoldenMotor.com

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
just put together a used 48cc engine, not sure the brand, have spark, have gas getting to carb, gas in carb bowl, but just wont start, has new pull start from guy i got it from. thanks in advance for any help.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
You'll have better luck if you can pedal it and bump start it.
The pull rope starter would work best on a settled in, tuned up engine.
Pull the rope, the engine only gets a few turns to start. I've pedaled mine quite a ways getting it to catch before. They can be cantankerous when they're cold.
Push the tickler (primer) button and hold it in for a bit to get some gas in there.
Good luck!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Also, make sure your spark plug isnt gapped too wide... it should be between .024" and .026", I've seen a few that were almost impossible to start just because the plug was gapped to .030". These ignitions arent that strong so a tighter gap can be a good thing...

Brand new or freshly rebuilt engines can also be a mother to start the first few times anyway... If ya got a nice hill to go down that makes those first few starts much easier. Once the engine has a little more time on it you'll be able to start it with 3 to 4 pulls on a cold morning.

Sometimes I cheat and use starting fluid, I do NOT recommend this, but it works if you just spray about a half second blast into the air filter then try to start it. I don't recommend because people get carried away and shoot in too much of the stuff and it's bad for the engine.

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
Thanks for the tips fellas, tried again yesterday just for a minute, made sure the jet was clean, it was, still wont start. made one little pop and a little blue smoke came out the back of the carb through the air filter. gave up, my brothers coming home from work in 2 days, hes a mechanic and will check it out. Love this site and appreciate the help

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Check your magnet too.
The slot must be at 1o'clock position when TDC.
it can be put on backwards and still give spark, but timing will ed way out.

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
got a chance to take pull start off today, found that there was no shaft key between the magnet and the shaft, must be the problem, gonna look for one tomorrow or order one. thats got to be the problem, or at least a problem, thanks again

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
Fired it up today. Bought a 40 cent key, had to sand it a little to fit, got it back together, pulled the rope to make sure everything was lined up as i was screwing the pull starter on and it made some noise. I screwed it on tight and turned on the gas and it started on the first pull! I was jacked up. Put the chain on it and noticed it was catching on the motor somewhere. I'll have to look at it tomorrow, had to go to work. thanks for all the assistance.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the chain is "catching on the motor somewhere" there's a good chance your sprocket alignment is way off. Engine angle in the frame can cause this problem too. Tilted too far forward or back or if the engine isn't straight in the frame the chain might hit.

Could you provide us with a photo of the engine installation?

Tom

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
sorry, dont have a smart phone, dont even have the internet at home. live in the country, on the internet at work. Took the sprocket off and filed it down a little, was still catching. Put the old chain back on and turns smooth, but its too short now, i jacked it up getting it off. Brand new chain i had is a little too big. Whats the smaller chain size that works? Dont really know the difference yet. I'm pretty sure i have it mounted properly though.

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
Its not actually catching on the motor, it doesn't seem to sit down properly on the sprocket, i had a screw stuck bad and finally got the cover off to see. guess ill have to order a new chain, but motor seems to be running ok, just cant ride yet, sucks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are a lot of us who prefer to use #41 chain. Look for an industrial supplier near you and even some Ace hardware stores carry #41 chain, master and half links.

I think you'll be happy with it. Ball park price is about $20.00 for a ten foot length.

Tom

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
Got the 41 chain from tractor supply, works great. Got chain put on, lined up just right, sprocket doesnt turn. Somethings wrong with the clutch i guess. Took the cover off and need to figure how to take the clutch off. Clutch spins when giving it gas but wheel doesnt turn.