Chain still sticks

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
from the marks on sides of teeth, I'd say your sprocket is cut for a 420 chain rather than 415 - if you take off the chain, get the rear wheel off the ground, have someone pedal bike while you hold a file against side of sprocket, you should be able to make it thinner pretty quickly

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
from the looks of it, your running stock chain with a clamp adapter.
as mentioned file the teeth... but file them from the side! the adapter sprockets are quite thick.. at least the ones that ive seen. just sold an adapter last week, i run a 41 chain... was almost too big for that one!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You can get a thinner sprocket or buy 41 chain. The 415 that comes with kits is caca, so I would go for the chain, it's not as expensive as a new sprocket.

But it's a bit wider so you may have to do some "Dremel work" on the "clutch cam cover" or the pins will be digging grooves in it.

Good luck!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
George, Crassius has a sharp eye. The manic mechanic adapter I bought last summer came with a real nice 40 tooth aluminum sprocket that is trim and not thick at all, and really made well. I use a 415 industrial KMC chain, it's small and the sprocket accepts it just fine, it worked fine with the kit chain, too.
You wouldn't need the whole adapter, just a new sprocket that will bolt up to your adapter's mounting holes.
Measure the radius from the center out to the holes and call the manic mechanic store and maybe one of theirs will bolt right up.
~Regards

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hmmm, 10 replies without someone mentioning that whoever sold that sprocket probably knows what chain will fit it - possibly some 4-stroke chain that will bind on the motor of a 2-stroke

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, dumb question. Is a #41 a 410 chain?
No.
#41 is #41. It is an industrial chain size that seems to work well with most sprockets. It is a little wider than some of the others but a superior chain that will work. As far as interference with the clutch actuator cover requiring some grinding, that is true with whatever chain you choose to run. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6682

It is available at Grainger, Tractor Supply, and other industrial suppliers. Some Ace Hardware stores carry #41 chain as well as master and half links.

Those who use it swear by it and I'm one of them. I've never had a problem with it and I have bikes with lots of miles on their odometers.

As with any roller chain, sprocket alignment and chain tension are important. Roller chains don't work at angles or with too much or too little tension.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The #41 chain sounds good. The problem is that I don't have much leeway on either side of my 415 chain now. Maybe just a 1/4". Is the 41 going to fit? I have a huffy millennium bike. Thanks,
George
You'll be fine. The difference in width isn't enough to cause you problems with 1/4" of clearance.

Let us know how things go for you.

Tom