Recurring Fuel Leak

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have constant problems with fuel leaking out of every possible spot on the carb, especially right where the line connects to the carb, no matter what I do, within a week, fuel starts leaking at a rate so fast that it drains the tank in about 6 hours. I am so ****ing sick of this bull**** and I am willing to try anything at this point, if this keeps happening I am taking the motor off and giving up. No matter what I try the fuel leak comes back. I have replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel line with multiple other types of fuel line, put zip ties where it connects, tried clamping it, tried using a smaller line, and no matter what, it still leaks to the point where I am afraid to ride it anywhere anymore for fear that someone will look at it the wrong way and cause it to start leaking and the tank will be empty when I need to ride home. Please help.:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't say what engine and carburetor you have so we're assuming it is a Chinese 2 stroke with either an NT or CNS carb. If not, let us know what you have. If it is the HT engine and one of the common kit carburetors here's some suggestions.

Are you certain the fuel is leaking at the carburetor and not the tank or petcock and running down the fuel line? Many before you have mistakenly assumed the leak was down steam from where it actually was.

The fuel inlet fitting on the NT carb can loosen and allow it to leak. Make sure it's tight into the carb body. You'll also want to make sure the carburetor bowl is tight and the gasket is good. If you've had the bowl off there's a chance you put it back on with the float hinge pin not seated and the bowl is tightening against it instead of the gasket. That's also a common mistake.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you can take 3 turns of safety wire around the fuel line ends, then twist them tight to get a nice, flat, squeeze on them