Riding my couch

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Walking through my folks barn the other day looking for my father's welding torch that he hadn't used in years, part of the floor let go under me and I came down pretty rough on my foot, busted up a few toes pretty good. Doc described it as "a bunch of pieces", so no more pedals for me for about a month at least, here in Maine, that get's me into the start of pretty chilly weather for riding. Just got new fenders and a new seat and layback post too. Been riding the couch for a couple days now, already starting to go nuts. Gonna have to set up a chair out in my workshop...

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I had a full leg-cast a couple of years ago (Thanksgiving time to New Year's), and if it wasn't for my bike, Ida gone nuts! Was my left-leg, and even if my car was automatic, I still would have trouble trying to fit behind the wheel. Being a passenger almost as difficult. Obviously, I couldn't drive clutch in any case. I ended up using my bike exclusively. I bungee-corded my crutches to the frame, and got around comfortably resting my feet on the pedals. Starting was harder since I had only one foot pedaling, but having the convenience of being able to ride right up to the front-door of stores etc. was WAY better than looking for a handicapped parking-spot, and then hobbling around on the crutches.

Here's a pic of my bike after the cast came off (notice the cane):

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry to hear of your mishap, Knightscape. I hope you heal quickly. Being couch bound is okay, for a while. If you're a reader or TV watcher it can be fine, for a few days then you need to move around.

I was that way for a couple of weeks summer before last, right in the middle of perfect riding weather and it was frustrating.
At least I had a comfy chair in my garage where I could sit and look at my bikes. But it was not the same as riding.

Make a fast recovery and keep us informed of your progress.

Tom