Bike Won't Run After Stop!

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hey guys. I recently got some help from a chill dude from this forum and I got my bike built! I've been riding it and I've probably ridden about 20 miles on it in total so far(TBH I have no real sense of distance, especially on a bike). I know that's not much at all. My estimation is probably wrong. Basically I've been riding the bike in short 15 minute spurts around my hood multiple times a day for the past 2-3 weeks.
Just yesterday, the guy who helped me put this together invited me out for a ride. The first actual long ride ever for this motor (and myself). We were riding and everything was awesome for about 45 minutes. I rode up to a red light, stopped the bike, then started pedaling to get the bike moving again before I let out the clutch. Then suddenly, my pedal chain fell off my pedal crank sprocket because the chain's very loose. So then, since I was stationary and I couldn't pedal, the bike couldn't move. I rolled to a stop and the motor goes out. Nothing's out of the ordinary here. I think to myself, "the pedal chain should have nothing to do with the motor itself, right?"
I proceeded to put the pedal chain back onto the pedal crank sprocket. Easy peasy.
And, wouldn't you know it, my motor wouldn't get going again. I kept trying to get it going again but it just wouldn't work. The motor will start and rumble, but there would be no acceleration from the throttle to the motor. So the motor would then just die out. Pedaling would not get it running again. Here I was, stuck on the side of the road, pedaling a heavy-ass motorized bike that won't accelerate. I got a good workout, that's for sure. It's just so unexpected...and so strange.

TL;DR - My bike wouldn't get running again in the middle of a ride after pedal chain fell off pedal crank sprocket and motor dies at stop. Pedal chain should have nothing to do with motor function at the time.

What could be the reason for this strange occurrence?

Bike is Schwinn Jaguar.
Motor is 2-stroke Flaming Horse 80cc purchased last year.
Spark plug is NGK B6HS (7534)
Everything else stock.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Check the electrical connections.. including where the wires are soldered to the mag coil, the 'top' solder joint from the coil to the 'frame' of the magneto. That one is often tricky, as it can look okay but not actually be connected.

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Just mentioned this in another post but is your white wire coming from your magneto isolated? When your chain popped of it could have caused that wire to come into contact with your engine and fry your magneto.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just mentioned this in another post but is your white wire coming from your magneto isolated? When your chain popped of it could have caused that wire to come into contact with your engine and fry your magneto.
Symbyot, I'm sorry but I need to counter this advice. The white wire touching metal will not damage the magneto. Many builders do in fact use the white wire in the kill switch circuit. One kill switch wire to ground, or the black wire, and the other to the white wire. Grounding the white wire will shut down the engine but it doesn't compromise the magneto in any way.
If your magneto was damaged somehow it wasn't due to the white wire touching the frame or engine.

Tom