Got Spark but not Starting

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Well I got my bike started in the end YAY. I reversed the wires, tried WD-40 and nothing. Then I put the wires back to black to black and blue to blue, no WD-40 and no choke at all and it started straight away. I don't get it, It wouldn't start like that before and now it does? I think I should just be happy that it work's and not know how.

EDIT: My Magneto is also flipped around and was for some time.

dance1

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I just read another forum with someone who had the same problem as me and their problem was timing as mine might be. Their solution to the problem was reversing the wires, so black to blue and blue to black and then they used starting fluid to help it get started, which I would use WD-40 like someone suggested in this thread. Would this be safe to try?
OK, in my opinion that is now the stupidest advice ever given here.

Black is engine ground from the magneto.
Engine electrical ground is what completes the circuit between your single wire spark plug and ignition system, the Blue wire side.

Reversing the frigg'n color coded 2 wire ignition system is like thinking if you swap the + and - on your car battery it would somehow help anything.

Lachiepower0402, perhaps you may want to know what you are talking about before you suggest your guesses or really REALLY bad advice again?
Just a tip, take it or leave it.

Just Notes:

WD40 is not a lubricant or starter fluid, it is a solvent NASA developed to de-ice space shuttle external fuel tanks.

Chances are your original magneto actual blue wire coil is not as more foten than not the mag coils ground tab that solders to the magnet broke free and can be fixed in a minute with a soldering iron.

The # in the middle of an NGK spark is the heat range, the lower the number the more heat the plug keeps in.

If you run in cold weather you want a low number to keep heat in.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario

Engine electrical ground is what completes the circuit between your single wire spark plug and ignition system, the Blue wire side.

Reversing the frigg'n color coded 2 wire ignition system is like thinking if you swap the + and - on your car battery it would somehow help anything.

Lachiepower0402, perhaps you may want to know what you are talking about before you suggest your guesses or really REALLY bad advice again?

Just Notes:

WD40 is not a lubricant or starter fluid, it is a solvent NASA developed to de-ice space shuttle external fuel tanks.

Chances are your original magneto actual blue wire coil is not as more foten than not the mag coils ground tab that solders to the magnet broke free and can be fixed in a minute with a soldering iron.

The # in the middle of an NGK spark is the heat range, the lower the number the more heat the plug keeps in.

If you run in cold weather you want a low number to keep heat in.
Not sure why your comment is relevant at all. His question was if WD-40 is safe to use, which it will. I however, recommend using Carburetor cleaner or starting fluid.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

If the color coding or connections are in doubt, it's a 50/50 chance reversing it will in fact "help something" - unlike the car battery example it can't hurt anything, so there's little harm in trying... it would be best to trace the wires to be sure their connections however.

I'd caution against harsh reprimands even if you think you know what you're talking about, a helpful suggestion is far better for all involved.

An example;

Just Notes:

WD40 is a lubricant, penetrating oil and water-displacing spray (thus the WD) and does in fact make a fine starting fluid, not uncommon at all to be used with diesels in particular - it is not however "a solvent NASA developed to de-ice space shuttle external fuel tanks" as were that the case, it'd be named "DI40" or some such.

Try their website for more info: http://wd40.com/about-us/history/

All kinda moot as http://www.pbblaster.com/ is far better anyway lol ;)

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
the reason I don't use carb cleaner or starting fluid in a 2stroke is it can possibly dry out the oil in the cylinder, which can possibly cause a seizure.