A Cool Event or What?

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
There was a cool event down near San Diego today, anyone who followed Moto-Cross over the years would have really dug this! Does Carlsbad Raceway ring a bell?

The event:

A bunch of the old world champions and pro's from days gone by and even to this day attended this event at Iron Fist Brewery in San Marcos.......a very cool event!

I will post a few pics of some of the bikes that were at the top of their class back in the day.......and I do mean "back in the day".

dance1

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's your first taste of the end of the bike show....

and this is what I consider to be my first "real" motocross bike.....this was a 1972 CZ 250, mine was actually a 1971 but were virtually the same bike

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was told about old CZ crossers. Get it wrong, and the kickstart came back up and lacerated your leg.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I was told about old CZ crossers. Get it wrong, and the kickstart came back up and lacerated your leg.
Not sure how that stumpy kickstarter could lacerate, the the CZ often required a few hours of kicking just to get it fired up.....seriously. Even after changing the stock Jikov carb with a Mikuni, it still took a few hundred kicks to get it started. Once it started......life was good!

I broke my kickstarter from so much kicking and had to weld it with an added steel plate conformed to the starter stop mechanism.

Later I changed the look of the 71' to the red coffin styled plastic tank with a white plastic front fender (with red stripe) and a white fiberglass rear fender with the stripe as well to resemble the 1973 CZ 250 of that time. I loved that bike till got a brand new 1978 Suzuki RM250 C model that made you feel like Roger DeCoster every time you jumped on it!

More pics.....

dnut

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Where are the Maico's? They RULED open class for years....
Great stuff here scotto.
Three thumbs up!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am still holding out hope that a Hodaka 500 or a Penton was there.
My Penton 125 was the most beautiful looking bike. I loved that radial finned Sachs engine!
Hodaka 500's are very rare...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If memory serves me right, only 2 were ever made, just before Hodaka closed their doors forever.
I confess, I don't really know much about Maicos except that they were badass!
I once had a chance to buy a Maico. I think it was a 400 too. Sadly I was a few hundred shy of the final asking price.

Edit: I just looked them up, it was an 80's 490 Spider.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If memory serves me right, only 2 were ever made, just before Hodaka closed their doors forever.
I confess, I don't really know much about Maicos except that they were badass!
I once had a chance to buy a Maico. I think it was a 400 too. Sadly I was a few hundred shy of the final asking price.

Edit: I just looked them up, it was an 80's 490 Spider.
I was gonna say.....it would take 4 Combat Wombat's to make a Hodaka 500 :D