Exhausted nearly all means..HELP

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
At first couldn't get a visible spark. Then I read that I could reverse the blue and black wires. Black to Blue...Blue to Black.

It started up and ran and I did a few laps around the block. At that time I didn't have the kill switch hooked up so when I got back I left it running then hooked up the kill switch and killed the engine. After about 5 minutes I ran another lap around the block and came back. Idled it for a minute and it sounded fine. Then killed the engine again with the kill switch.

Ten minutes went by as I was cleaning up and buttoning up everything..basically zip ties to loose wires. After I was done I went for another lap. NO GO!!! WTF!!!

I have a 66/80cc slant head NT carb boost bottle attached.

Ask me I bet I've tried it already. I've scraped this forum looking for solutions.

HERE'S A FEW.....
Replaced -- kill switch, spark plug, CDI, fuel,
Checked -- Ohms, fuel getting to float bowl, clutch fully engaged or disengage (because at first the wheel wouldn't freely roll), magneto........

I don't get it. It worked for a hot minute and then it all of a sudden didn't.

Help a rider out. It's getting warm again in TX!

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
Thanks all for the other possibilities.

Yes I did leave the fuel on when I let it sit for that 10 min or so. When I drained the tank and carb then put in new fuel that shouldn't be an issue. The only reason why I changed the fuel is because it had been sitting unused since last June.

I have a second part of nearly all my engine parts so I'll test that stator tomorrow and check to make sure all wires are insulated and properly grounded to the engine.

Keep the possibilities coming.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Look inside the mag cover for any sign of water. I've seen several intermittent failures like you describe caused by water getting inside the case. Even after drying, the coil will continue to be unreliable and maddening.
Testing is misleading since they can test good and yet short under load.
A new one is only $10-$15 bucks...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you can't see a spark, then only sure next step is to hold plug in your hand & roll bike forward - BTW, did you ever get the wiring back to blue to blue & black to black as it should be?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i asked about the fuel valve because if you leave it open, sometimes it will fill the entire engine with fuel.your bike won't start til you pedal it all out.

if there's raw fuel coming out of the exhaust when you try to start it, that's the problem.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
if you can't see a spark, then only sure next step is to hold plug in your hand & roll bike forward - BTW, did you ever get the wiring back to blue to blue & black to black as it should be?
Negative Ghost Rider....After it worked have the wires flipped it never worked again after that. I suspected that it may be because I hooked up the kill switch after it worked but I replaced it with my last kill switch which worked fine when I used it with my last engine.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
i asked about the fuel valve because if you leave it open, sometimes it will fill the entire engine with fuel.your bike won't start til you pedal it all out.

if there's raw fuel coming out of the exhaust when you try to start it, that's the problem.
Coming out of the exhaust is the normal charcoal dark oil spots...my mix ratio is 50:1

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
Look inside the mag cover for any sign of water. I've seen several intermittent failures like you describe caused by water getting inside the case. Even after drying, the coil will continue to be unreliable and maddening.
Testing is misleading since they can test good and yet short under load.
A new one is only $10-$15 bucks...
I'm 99.9% sure it's not water damaged. This is a brand new engine kept in the garage. I began putting it together about a week ago then was able to finish today. Hoping I could ride but was hit with troubleshooting it instead.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
get rid of the killswitch
solder ALL wire connections
check to make sure ground strap on mag is tight and not arcing against the mag itself

if this fails, scrap the motor and buy a moped...lol naw eff mopeds them ishts are stoopid

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm never comfortable with the advice to run without a kill switch. It is a safety feature that needs to be used. Relying on the clutch or choke to shut down the engine at speed or in the event of an emergency won't help you much.
The kill switch/button should be there, easily reached and working properly. If yours is defective either fix it or replace it. But use it.

Tom

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
Yea I'm not too comfy with the idea of getting rid of the kill switch. I'm going to check and recheck my checks again before.
I haven't gotten around the checking the mag yet so that's my next step but thanks for the info.