my new CNS air filter

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
so iv had constant trouble with my skyhawk running rich, found it would always run better (almost perfect) with no air filter. first thing i did was located an oil breather i had at work. it was made out of the same stuff k&n filters are and was a fair bit bigger then the stock "performance" filter. boy didnt that make a difference!

only problem i had with it was the rubber boot was missing. to make it work i retro fitted the stock rubber filter boot to the new filter but never had a tight fit. after it fell off tonight i went and searched online for a new filter and found this:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...aspx?t_c=74&t_s=383&t_pt=3434&t_pn=K/N62-1380

the only way i noticed i had lost the filter was because i had more power. this filter is 1" longer and 1/2" wider then the one i currently had on there. plus its 1 1/4" ID for the intake which is a perfect fit! cannot wait for this thing to show up!

fyi. 4wheelparts had it cheaper then summit!

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
its here!

on the left is my prevoius air filter (about twice the size of my "stock" perforance filter), and on the right is my new filter. even comes with filter oil.

i ahve yet to try it out, its currently 8 degrees here.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
update. long over due. this air filter works amzing! thats all i can say. plenty of power to boot. i still had to adjust the pilot circuit a tad smaller but thats a lot less then i had to do before!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I made the assumption it would fit the NT carb as well, silly noob. Now I have an awesome filter that doesn't fit.

I'm going to ponder a couple ways to make it work

After some searching I found couple reducers I can put together to make this work. Plus I think it will look cooler. A genuine 60mm air filter is going to cost me a fortune. So the reducer route is cheaper.

And the KN filter is easily worth two crappy Chinese ones.

Last edited:

badmoon

Jul 11, 2008
Canada,Québec (french)
Received my new Takegawa air filter today fit #1 on the CNS carb and it is 2 or 3 time bigger that look very nice see those picture.

With the takegawa you can plug a hose on it too soo that can be cool for tune the carb.

I will test the bike later to see how this monster change the things.

badmoon

Jul 11, 2008
Canada,Québec (french)
I've tested it very good but now I need to have more gas because I have more air now.

I will lower my needle or change my jet this air filter is a great improvement compared to the stock one.

But need new tune.

I think I will have to upgrade my jet to a #74 now and I will check my spark plug before change it .

I think i'm too lean better power anyway :p.

Last edited:

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
personally iv never liked the filter material used in that setup. couple of months ago i bought a cheap intake off ebay for my truck. came with a huge filter to replace the stock. didnt see much improvement over stock box with drop in k&n filter. even after tuning the computer. thats when i noticed i could see more light thought a dirty k&n air filter then i could a new cheap filter with that kind of material. replaced filter with a true k&n and got the results i was expecting.

badmoon

Jul 11, 2008
Canada,Québec (french)
Im with a #76 jet Needle Rich as possible but seem lean . I've ordered a #78 jet from SBP to see what it will do after this.

With the #76 it run very good but my idle is ALWAYS hard to adjust I don't know if I have to change the pilot jet or something like that I'm a noob at this for the moment :)

(It's just hard to keep the bicycle IDLING if I adjust the air screw it works but give to much air flow when running normally so my RPM is higher every time so hotter too. So I dont need to turn too much the air screw or my bicycle will REV to much high)

Anyway I have full of power and it respond fast.

I'm hurry to test the #78 jet if something can be change.

I will need to make a video of my bike soon. I'm able to run 50km/h - 60km/h my fastest speed was 67km/h but it was not on flat road.

Im Running 40:1 oil gas ration with 3/4 of Castor Oil and 1/4 Cheap Synthetic oil for the moment.

Anyway just to say that the STOCK air filter is a junk because it fast to be dirt and too restrictive for this carb .

Last edited: