For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey, who remembers those little leather loops with a red reflector you used to see around the the front, and sometimes the rear axles on bikes...and how long has it been since you've seen one? And...just what in the heck were they for? I was once told they kept the grease from goobering up the axle and kept it shiny.
Tom

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
I don't want to get any of you crusty older flabergeezer's mad or anything, but I'd remove those things on a MB. If one got into the spokes, eeek!

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
I'm a qualified old guy! LOL and i sure do remember those leather rings and they did keep your hubs nice and clean and shiney, now im going to get and old leather belt and make a few up! Thanks for the memories!

Reactions: EZL

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
When I was growing up the rich kids had the nice leather straps. Us poor kids used the old split rubbers out of the old pump jacks. I was one of the poor kids.............

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
It works like a buffing belt and polishes the axel. a weight like a relfector or rivet that holds it on also slows it making it spin slower then the axel. Plus it keeps the rust and grease off. I used to see shinny hubs and rusty spokes. Another thing we used to do is light sparklers in the spokes and have a light show at night.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yeah, If you're a country boy and grow up riding dirt roads.....those axles can get pretty crusted with dirt. It may be the only thing shiney on an otherwise
dirty bike.....but reaching in there to clean it tears up your fingers whereas you can clean the rest of the bike fairly easily.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
It's like fussy dice and suicide knobs, they may not be that functional but they are just as nessary. Whats an 18 wheeler with out the chrome naked lady mud flaps? hanging a bell on motorcycles, who's idea was that? :p

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
LOL yep and a bike bell is a must for passing pedestrians. Those 125db air horns make them jump right out in front of you.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Next you'll be making fun of my ankle clips that protect my bell-bottoms with the cuffs ...... D.J.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Lets not forget those impressive 'fashion accessory' yes yes
i do speak of the 'streamers' fixed to the end of the handlebars
ABSOLUTE must on ALL bikes rumors are it adds another 4km/kr to your
top speed as it raises the sex appeal of your ride...apparently the wiminez love the guyz that roll with streamers :-S

get your streamers NOW ya old coggers
Hey hey!!!! I'm not so old I can't come down there and throw a stick in your Mr. Fancy Pants spokes!!!!

I bet you secretly have a bike stashed with a purple metal flake banana seat and a real high sissy bar, don't you?:crash:

Disclaimer for those with no humour- JK!!!!!!!!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Anyone remember the bicycle used in the movie....

"Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure" ?

That's the perfect bike for streamers and axle buff's.

Now, just imagine it with an HT and all that other stuff :eek:

Attachments

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
We used baseball cards with clothespins clipped to the fender stays to make a motor sound, and for a deeper Harley effect we would use partially filled balloons in the same fashion. They would last a surprisingly long time.:D

Reactions: Apache Bronco

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Hey Weedy,

Thats when balloons where still made in America!!! You'd be lucky to make it arround the block now a days (thats even with an extra thick condom made in Japan)! They don't make anything right anymore!

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry