RTV as a silencing agent?

GoldenMotor.com

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
has anyone thought to put hi-temp RTV between the fins and on the outside of the covers, i know it could be messy but was wondering if it may have same effects as the hoses on the fins and dynamat on the covers.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Rubber blocks between the fins is used on a lot of motorcycles.
Seen mbers use rubber tubing in the fins too.
Put the Silicone inside the covers like dynamat. Seen that stuff? you coat / dip tool handles with used like that too.
Card board cut to fit the inside of the clutch cover works too.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
but i was wondering if you used it in place of the blocks, or to slather on the out side of the covers, would it help or just look odd

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It would compromise the cooling more than it would be worth. Stick with tubing or rubber blocks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't coat the cylinder or cylinder head cooling fins. They're how the engine dissipates heat. They are heat exchangers and need exposure to moving air to allow the heat to transfer from the engine to the ambient air.
A few pieces of rubber squeezed between a few fins shouldn't hurt but don't go overboard and block all of the air.

Have you lubricated the primary and secondary gears on the right side of your engine and the clutch actuating parts on the left? They can be a source of noise as well as the resonance through the covers and cooling fins.

Tom

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've bolted a metal (skull) plate on the clutch cover and noticed a reduction in noise. I also grease my clutch gears and actuator regularly like 2door suggests which helps noise as well as reducing wear.
Have been collecting rubber for some blocks in the fins but don't have the materials yet.
I do hear quite a lot of ringing from the fins, so I'm sure some rubber blocking in the head and/or cylinder will help quiet things at cruise speed.
Every thing I quiet down reveals something else noisy under it.
I'm thinking the single loudest noise on the bike (besides the exhaust) will turn out to be the intake roar, but I may be wrong. I'm just too lazy to whip up a real airbox to see how loud it really is.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
im not saying slather the whole engine in RTV, just saying the places i've put pieces of hose about same size and to coat the out side of the covers, thinking for those lowes has the spray on grips for tools that may work and bring color also

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I doubt it would do much in small amounts...simply not dense enough to help much methinks.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
the question is tho, because it adheres to the metal a bit, and because its kinda like the hose, would it be a replacement, or what about the crud you can use to "repair" motor mounts from car quest (haven't looked for the stuff in a while may not be available without ordering)could you make your own blocks that fill in the gaps were you want it, without having hose or blocks looking all willy nilly, and if you coated things like the inner covers and outer portions would it deaden the sound without costing arm and a leg. right know i have hoses on the side and it quiets the engine down a bit, but would RTV or similar rubberized stuff work just as good and make it cleaner. i need to buy more because i slathered it on the gear case and the air intake to see if it helps (had some black stuff laying around) it "sounds" quieter but really cant tell. may need to get the aerosol stuff for a consistent thickness