Timing Belts Cars

GoldenMotor.com

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Timing belts on cars should be watched very carefully. Was reading a post about Kevlar belts where cars were mentioned. I don't know the value of Kevlar as a belt I assume it is good. Depending on whether you have an interference or non-interference engine the belt failure can destroy your engine by driving the pistons into the valves as I understand it.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Non-interference engine won't have to worry about massive engine damage, you just have to set the cam timing and possibly fuel sync back up stock. An interference engine will grenade itself if the timing belts blow up.

That's why I like timing chains. They just have the possibility to jump time, and run poorly. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Timimng belts or even steel timing chains breaking can mean the end on an engine. I've seen valves driven through the tops of pistons when a timing chain, or the timing gear (sprocket) failed at highway speeds.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
FWIW, my dad had the chain snap in his 69 Plymouth Fury III 318 and all he had to do was replace the timing set and retime it.

Granted, that's a MOPAR for ya. :D

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm not aware of any carburated V-8's that were interference engines...at least not till the 2000's or so
Usually it's the multi-valve modern engines that bend the valves.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used to HATE rice burners but I had a Nissan teach me a lesson.
I had a Sentra with over 240k on it when it broke the belt and bent all the valves,.
Being cheap, I bought 16 new valves and tore into the engine.
Imagine my shock when I pulled the head and found NO WEAR showing AT ALL! The original hone marks were still clearly visible!
This engine ran great with no smoke so don't think it was never fully broken in... It just looked factory new inside after 240k miles!
Made a believer out of me! I still ooze American V-8 torque, but I now respect the rice burners as well as the dinosaurs.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
What happened to me is the tensioner failed. It was relatively cheap to replace on that vehicle at that time. The failure of the tensioner resulted in destruction of the belt IMHO. I think it cost something like $50.00. If they still use these tensioners IMHO they should be replaced with the belt.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I'm not aware of any carburated V-8's that were interference engines...at least not till the 2000's or so
Usually it's the multi-valve modern engines that bend the valves.
302 ford would bend the exhaust valves with a broken chain or gear

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Considering you're talking 75-120k of use (or abuse) on the timing belt and tensioner, yeah, change it.

Serpentine belt tensioner is a different story. You change that mofo when your belt keeps squawking.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
In my instance you got the mileage correct. I changed the belt twice during the 100K miles or so. But until it happened I didn't know there was a tensioner. I know now. Very easy on my vehicles. They cost too much to abuse.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
done a ton of belt replacement,owners manual is right on with timing belt replacement intervals,follow it and its all good.

chrysler 3.0 v6
timing belt
tensioner
water pump
cam and crank seals.

do it all otherwise you will be going back in to do it again.bite me in the ass,will ya?never again!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
^Ugh, the Chrysler V6.....PITA to work on. Can't get to a damn thing.

I love my Ram's 360, fairly easy to work on and sounds great when modded.

I will likely do my water pump when I do my timing set and cover gasket later....when I have money....when the 76 is mostly squared away for the winter....:D