centrifugal clutch questions

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
OK , where i live there's a few inclines with traffic lights at the top and i do need to go there way , (luckily at the moment only had to stop 2x)and its hard to pedal off to get speed to let clutch out , so i thinking about a centrifugal clutch so i no need to pedal at lights etc etc,
i have seen lots of pics on how its done , but i a noob at this kind of thing but willing to learn (just set up my rear brake lights turn signals etc and really chuffed with myself i did that)but this is a different thing , how hard is it to do install the clutch,i not seen any videos on how its done :( but again lots of pics etc,i just don't want to screw it up also,is there any video i can look at on installing one ??? also,

I want a centrifugal clutch that will let me still use the manual clutch so I can pedal-start the motor i heard they sell them somewhere ??,

and if i can get one that i still can use the manual clutch , will i need to widen my pedals (i know i would have to with a pull start )but that's more money for wide pedals i cannot afford at the moment ,(just spend 100 on other upgrades) again i just thinking about it and throwing some questions here .

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I hear that in some places, putting on the centrifugal clutch classifies it as a moped with all legal papers needed for same. I try to avoid that. I also can't operate a pull start with my poor ol' arms, so prefer to pedal start the motor which can be a problem with some centrifugal clutch setups.

For hills, I've learned to adjust my routes a bit, or always turn to the right onto level ground at a stop on a hill, then make a u-turn and another right to get back to where I was going

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
If you want a centrifugal clutch you can disengage the output power to the wheels by using the clutch still but cannot drop the clutch to start it anymore, you will have to purchase a pull starter recoil kit aswell.

My opinion i think you would benefit best with out the centrifugal setup with the minute amount of power these engine produce.

I believe the centrifugal setup would be fit best for kids and such to where they can be limited on output speed/power.

The faster the engine spins the harder the clutch will grab(centrifugal force) and the faster starts you get. So say if you have a stock bicycle engine and slap a centrifugal clutch on it may take a while to get up to speed because the stock engine will run a very minimal amount of rpm to just engage the clutch.

Heres a video that will help you understand how the clutch works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SAGjUidZs
Its not my video.

Hoped i helped!

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The centi-clutch that I have in my garage right now came from the factory with a starter spring in it. It allows you to pedal start the engine. Once the engine is running it acts like any other centi-clutch.
No pull starter needed.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
For hills, I've learned to adjust my routes a bit, or always turn to the right onto level ground at a stop on a hill, then make a u-turn and another right to get back to where I was going
yep i done that a few times as well and i got a moped sticker for my bike as well

so mrfubs they don't sell them kind no more , i been looking around but it does not say if you need a pull starter as well , if so and i decide to get one , i will need wider crank ,i even been looking for a engine that already got them mounted ,

gearnut , i read the post and it frightened me for if anything goes wrong hehe,
now if i did get one in time and if it broke or was having too much problems with it (touch wood hope not) but can you revert back to a normal set up ??and take it out .
ty for your input :).

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty both of you for the links , i will read up and watch the video to learn more , i need to learn more before tempting this upgrade :) .

so if i get one and it does not work out , can i go back to the way is was and take the clutch out ???.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
of course you can! keep in mind that a centrifugal clutches are used in a wide variety of things, gocarts, mini bikes, chain saws, weed wackers, ect. its all the same concept! good luck!

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I know this a few weeks old but I had to say something. I have had a centrifugal clutch going on 2 yrs now and I can leave the manual clutch on the bike. I also can pedal start the bike. I do also have a pull start too. I added the pull start and the centrifugal clutch my self I bought them separate

Last edited: