71cc & 75cc Auger Motors

GoldenMotor.com

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
image-1785177052.jpg

Anybody have any experience with these larger displacement engines? Similar to the HF52 auger motor. I'm assuming they have the 76mm clutches, but I haven't confirmed that. Their rated power is around the 4hp+ mark. In Australia they can be picked up for around $250. Cheap high powered friction/chain drive with some 33cc stickers???

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I saw those when I was looking for a source for the awesome ring and pinion trannies. I wonder how they achieve such a high displacement with that style motor. I have the 52cc one and that overboar is the largest I've ever seen sold for power equipment and pocket bikes, usually the next step would be the reed and high comp top end kit with billet head (which isn't worth buying, because you can get a stage III Cagllari with all that for around $100). I bought it for use on a daily rider bike since the transmission is mega beefy and 33:1 (regular bicycle wheel sprocket gearing!) and the motor doesn't have reeds to inhale when they eventually fatigue. It also comes with the option of a replacement plan at HF, so if it pops this year I'll get a new one and rip on.

I love mine, its a great affordable chain drive if you put a 7/8" freewheel adapter keyed onto the trans. I think it would perform a bit better with a gravity fed carb versus the pumper because sometimes you get a pressure pulse feedback that causes oscillation in the revs, which you can overcome by playing with the throttle a bit or just gassing it and ripping out of the hole. Putting a less restrictive filter on and an expansion chamber, and lightening the clutch shoes with a drill seems to have tripled the power out of my "1.5 HP" auger motor, which is really only rated that low because the clutch stall is like 4000 rpm stock and the EPA tuning and baffle box muffler are meant for noise and emissions compliance, so it never gets into the powerband, which on my BMX in its current setup is from 8500-10600.

Last edited:

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I was wondering if the reduction gearbox could be of any use. I noticed they all seem to be 30:1 to around 35:1. I was guessing that if you want around 20:1 with a china sprocket then the auger gearbox would be in the ballpark of standard bike sprocket.
Not bad value for a motor, like the HF, and a bit of potential there also with basic mods. I could only imagine that the 75cc motor, stealthly looking like a motor of half it's displacement, would keep Mr law enforcer happy.

16v, is the gearbox's noisy on these machines?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The gearbox is silent, uses heavy gear oil, all the noise is from the motor and the clutch area, these 2 shoe clutches rattle a bit.

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I've found a little bit of info on these motors on the Goped site. One particular scooter called an "Evo" has a 71cc motor fitted with a 2 speed. I think it is called an Evo 2x 71cc.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Looks like the only source for the 52mm 71cc cylinder kits is direct from China. I'd like to try one of those with a boost bottle to smooth out the pumper carb pulsation a bit.