Need help installing this part

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
if it fires at all, its not your ignition system... unless that short time killed it (I doubt it). You may have an air leak but again I doubt it, if it's bad enough to kill the motor, then it shouldnt start to begin with (had this issue). As another member said, the choke could be the culprit.
Does your bike "kick" forward right as it dies? If so, your clutch is catching. Either you're releasing the clutch too much without enough speed (common mistake with new riders and even new drivers in standard cars) or the clutch plate itself isn't releasing. Remember the motors are only ~2hp, while you're significantly lighter than a car, the power to weight ratio is far lower than a car (You'd have to pull 20hp to get the same ratio as a Lotus Elise, 10hp for a typical old ford taurus).

When troubleshooting, the more detail you give us about what exactly it does just before and when it dies, the better answer we can give you. Detailed pictures of the problem area are ideal and videos showing what it's doing are the best.

Last edited:

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
When troubleshooting, the more detail you give us about what exactly it does just before and when it dies, the better answer we can give you. Detailed pictures of the problem area are ideal and videos showing what it's doing are the best.
Today I did a plug test and saw sparks so I assume the plug isn't the issue. I also took the kill switch plugs out and that did not change anything. I noticed my chain was very loose and would occasionally jam and stop the bike. I don't think this would affect the engine starting though. I examined the fuel line and noticed it wouldn't flow well into the carb. When the bike was stopped, the fuel line wouldn't fill entirely and leave a bubble, but I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Is my fuel filter on backwards? Would a loose chain be preventing the engine from starting? I usually pedal up to about 5mph before I try to start it. The engine sounds like it is starting, but doesn't power up and just revs down until it dies right when I pop the clutch. I've tried it quite a bit and now I'm worried about flooding my engine.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
loose chain is dangerous any way you look at it, I'd fix that before attempting to get the motor running (god forbid you're moving 30mph and the chain locks up). With the clutch disengaged (handle pulled in) the chain shouldnt affect the motor running at all. However if you're moving and the motor stops suddenly with the back tire because the chain bound up, then yes, I would have to say that's your issue. If it died slowly, and the back tire still rolls, then you have another issue, possibly fuel, as you suspect.

As for your fuel/fuel filter, the filter is on right by the looks of it, and as long as the tank is above the carb (which it is) then gravity and suction will take care of it, I normally got a bubble in mine because the tube came back up slightly. You can cut the line to be a more direct shot if you wish, but it's never been an issue for me. If the line is close to the motor, you could be experiencing vapor lock (fuel vaporizes in the line because of the heat from the engine), but from the pic it looks like it's off to the side and should be good. fuel flow should be alright, it should trickle a steady stream at minimum, the stock jet shouldnt suck up more than it can provide, at least not that quickly.

So... I suppose check your float. In the carb bowl there's a white plastic float. it has a pair of metal 'tongs' that press against it and adjust the flow needle according to the amount in the bowl. You can bend the ends up or down to adjust how much fuel gets into the bowl before the needle closes it. It's been a while since I had an NT carb but you should be able to figure out which direction they need to be bent to allow more fuel in (IIRC, you bend them down to let less fuel in, bend them up (toward the carb body) to let more fuel in). There's a whole thread in norm's repair forum for carb tuning, it'll include step by step instructions to do this.

P.S.: Some members swear by the in-line filter, I've never had one (not that I didn't use it, my kits never came with them). My roommate's motor came with one and he's been having issues starting it sometimes too. Once he gets it running and warmed up it's easy to start again. His filter never filled completely so I suspect neither did his line (his isn't clear). Perhaps this could be a troublesome part?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
are you trying it with the choke lever up, then trying it next time with it down?

are you hitting the tickler button?

is your throttle closed when you're not turning the grip?

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
are you trying it with the choke lever up, then trying it next time with it down?

are you hitting the tickler button?

is your throttle closed when you're not turning the grip?
I tried it both ways and I have been hitting the tickler. I've tried both open and close throttle.

When I applied moderate pressure to the carb, it twisted on the intake (about 7/10 strength) so it was not totally tight. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause an air seal issue. Since the chain is loose, I am afraid to keep trying it until I tighten the chain (tomorrow). Perhaps pedaling at 5mph is not enough for the first start?

I am likely going to jet the carb.

I appreciate the help going on this this thread and I've come a long way since page 1.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your fuel filter is in backwards. Fuel should flow to the outside of the filter element, not the inside. Your carburetor shouldn't move. If its loose, its leaking.

5 mph is generally considered a little slow for pedal starts. Try it a little faster, maybe 10mph and give it some throttle and maybe try half choke. If/when the engine starts keep it running by disengaging the clutch and give it a few moments to warm then pedal up to that 10mph mark again before releasing the clutch.

The engine needs three things to run; Air, fuel and ignition. It sounds as if you have all three and just need to experiment a little to find where it likes to start. They're all different in that respect.

Tighten that chain before you do anything else. 1/2" to 3/4" slack and make sure the chain and sprockets are aligned as well as the tensioner wheel if you're using one.

Tom

Last edited:

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
So I put the filter on the right way, and tried pedaling faster, and the engine started perfectly. I'm pretty sure the carb air leak was the main issue. I rode it around the block and now its parked until I tighten the chain. It was a blast and I'm so stoked!!!!

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
great news! I remember how exciting my first ride was. And each subsequent first ride after a fresh build on my last 2 bikes. Honestly my bike is significantly faster than my roommate's but for some reason I really like the low, laid back profile of the chopper (and how stiff it is, my bike has front and seat post suspension, his is solid all the way). But yeah, just take care of that chain, maybe lube up your wheel bearings (I didnt but... its recommended) and you'll be set, happy riding!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So I put the filter on the right way, and tried pedaling faster, and the engine started perfectly. I'm pretty sure the carb air leak was the main issue. I rode it around the block and now its parked until I tighten the chain. It was a blast and I'm so stoked!!!!
Good news. Thanks for getting back to us with your findings.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Cool beans, man. I've found with mine that if it sits up too long I have to turn the choke on and roll the throttle to WOT a few times to get it to start. Get that chain tightened and see what happens. I've noticed my bike would start kind of erratically with a loose chain. If you have a tensioner, take it off (or at least the roller) and remove links from the chain if need be. Then put it back on and have the roller all the way at the bottom of it's range, move it closer to the wheel so it tightens the chain up. Then you should be good to go for a while in that regard.