help a noob out.

GoldenMotor.com

Hmann

Nov 13, 2008
usa
ive recently become interested in building a motorized bike. i have been looking for build kits on the internet but i am not sure what to buy. my main concern is speed and i would like to be able to crank as much speed out of one of these as i can. what should i buy?

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i saw a guy at bonneville that had a luge board mated to a harley sportster, something like that maybe? and a fully enclosed cockpit might work. you could add a pulse jet. a v8. a blower would help get the speed you need.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Im also a noob to the hobby. Youll find that there are several dealers on ebay for kits. If you look to sidebars of this thread you may find a kit. If you are interested in speed thats doable as well.

I want to forewarn you that these modifications to a bicycle will make it as dangerous as a scooter/moped if not more. It only took me 4 days before eating pavement.

You still get the benifits of bike riding though. I was surprised after my first ride to find that my legs had a small burn from peddling. In a way you still get your exercise while having a cheap fun way to get around.

For speed parts look up Andyville and Sick Bike Parts(Pablo). Search the forum well, the info you seek is here.

Hmann

Nov 13, 2008
usa
im fine with the danger part ive been racing DH longboards for 3years, and they go over 50. but what should i go for like a bikeberry kit or something i weigh 170 if that makes a difference

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
I 2nd the pulse jet, on a Strech cruiser. Or maybe just get a cheap kit, see if you like it then take as far as you want. Build your dream. The pulse jet might give the rush you seek. Have fun. Enjoy. Welcome to the site.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Well, I'm a noob too and like the speed as well, but it is true that unless your average bicycle is really built for those kinds of speeds, something bad is lurking around the corner.

I got a 80cc on Ebay at a real good price and also got myself a pull start for it (because I'm lazy rotfl). I'm real happy with it. I think you'll find some interesting mods you can do to it as well on this site, that'll make your ride perf'd out.

The second option is the pulse jet!

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
ive recently become interested in building a motorized bike. i have been looking for build kits on the internet but i am not sure what to buy. my main concern is speed and i would like to be able to crank as much speed out of one of these as i can. what should i buy?
Lookin for speed and power? most of these kits are limited to 2 to 3 HP and and only 6,000 RPM max. Go for a pocket bike engine, 48cc 7 to 8 HP 12,000 RPM. But you must reduce the RPM to have a workable torque, probably a jackshaft. And you'll also need some proper engine mounts...All the other parts like fuel tank and accelerator can be from the kits... You'll need a very sturdy frame like steel, cromoly, or titanium...:D

It might be more expensive, but it will be well worth it...(^)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
im fine with the danger part ive been racing DH longboards for 3years, and they go over 50. but what should i go for like a bikeberry kit or something i weigh 170 if that makes a difference
If you want speed, stay with the longboard.

If you want a kit, I would suggest a seller that has been around awhile.

Look in the "review" section for the deal on sellers.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In my opinion for what little it is worth, all the china kits are about the same out of the box. Find a dealer you are comfortable with and a price you can live with. There is just so much you can get out of these things they aren't Harleys or even Hondas.... Well except for the honda lol