Bikeberry engine kit is not starting

GoldenMotor.com

tbone7770

Dec 6, 2012
Dallas, Tx
i received a 2 stroke bicycle kit from bike berry. it hasnt started.

i have done the following things:

* checked spark plug gauge. set it to 1.4
* followed the Bikeberry DVD instructions
* done the spark plug test setting the spark plug on top of the engine
and spinning the back wheel, the result is no spark
* adjusted the carborator based on bikeberry youtube video
* replaced the spark plug
* tried pedal start and nothing happens when i release the clutch

Any help on getting this bike motor running would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Well for starters, if you have no spark then you could have a bad CDI or maybe even a bad mag. Probably the CDI. Just make sure you have the wires plugged in right and also do away with the kill switch wires to make sure it`s not messing up. I had a run of bad CDis back a few months ago. Bought 5 from BGF and 3 were no good. Just cheap china crap! Can`t blame the sellers,they can`t tell either.
Now I am starting to rant so will stop right now!

tbone7770

Dec 6, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I checked the CDI black and blue wires with an OHM meter and it had a good reading
so the Bikeberry people said that the CDI is okay. But that doesn't mean that the boot
part coming from the CDI is not working correctly

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you want help getting your engine running, just ask for it. If you came here just to bash a vendor your posts will be edited or removed.
Any comments pro or con regarding vendors should be posted in the 'Swap & Shop' section.

Check your wiring connections.
Disconnect the kill switch (button) to test for ignition.
Check for fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor.
Assure the choke is open and operating correctly.
You must pedal up to speed, approximately 10 mph before engaging the clutch to start the engine.
What fuel/oil ratio are you using. 16:1 as suggested in the instructions is too much oil.
I don't understand your plug setting. 1.4? What does that mean? Gap the plug to .024 to .028" to start with. We usually recommend replacing the kit supplied spark plug with a better quality one. The spark plug boot that comes with all kits is also a trouble prone part. Replace it with a good automotive quality boot and assure a good electrical connection at both ends of the high voltage lead.

Start there and let us know what you find.

Tom

tbone7770

Dec 6, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Check your wiring connections. wiring connections per DVD instructions

Disconnect the kill switch (button) to test for ignition. done

Check for fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor. done

Assure the choke is open and operating correctly. the writing by the choke is in chinese

You must pedal up to speed, approximately 10 mph before engaging the clutch to start the engine. done

What fuel/oil ratio are you using. 16:1 as suggested in the instructions is too much oil. used 8:1 ratio

I don't understand your plug setting. 1.4? What does that mean? Gap the plug to .024 to .028" to start with. We usually recommend replacing the kit supplied spark plug with a better quality one. The spark plug boot that comes with all kits is also a trouble prone part. Replace it with a good automotive quality boot and assure a good electrical connection at both ends of the high voltage lead. the instructions say to put plug at 1.4 millimeters. will look into replacing the plug boot that comes with it.

someone below said something about the tire turning with the motor. what do they mean by that?

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I learned this from Fatdaddy - it's probably something SIMPLE you're overlooking.... You need a spark. Make sure the engine is engaged (like Johnny said) when you're turning the rear wheel checking for spark...

tbone7770

Dec 6, 2012
Dallas, Tx
when you say 'make sure the engine is engaged'.....what does that mean? i followed all the instructions from the DVD and they said nothing about making sure the engine is 'engaged'

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
He means the clutch. Leave the handlebar lever alone, don't squeeze it. The clutch is disengaged when you squeeze the lever and engaged when you release it.

Also if you've set the plug gap at 1.4mm that's roughly .065". That's probably why you don't have any spark. I told you earlier to set the plug gap at .024 to .028. Plug gapping tools are cheap, often even free from auto parts stores and they read in inches, not mm as a rule. .065 is way too wide a gap. I doubt the ignition system could even produce enough current to bridge that distance.

Sorry but I'm going to suggest you throw that DVD in the trash and listen to the advice from people here who have years of experience building these bikes. If the information on that disc is no better than the printed instructions I've seen with these kits it is essentially no help at all and often erroneous.

Tom

Last edited:

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
i received a 2 stroke bicycle kit from bike berry. it hasnt started.

i have done the following things:

* checked spark plug gauge. set it to 1.4
* followed the Bikeberry DVD instructions
* done the spark plug test setting the spark plug on top of the engine
and spinning the back wheel, the result is no spark
* adjusted the carborator based on bikeberry youtube video
* replaced the spark plug
* tried pedal start and nothing happens when i release the clutch

Any help on getting this bike motor running would be appreciated.

Well you do have a 6 months parts exchange warranty for your motor. Have you given us a call to trouble shoot? If you have no spark its an electrical issue. The spark plug gap should be between .025-.029, you need to get an ohms meter and test your CDI(electron ignition coil) and your magneto. You test them on the sauder point between the wire and end connecter piece. We also have a you tube video for how to test your electric parts, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFyDYIkElI. Once you have found which part is defective I highly recommend you call so you can get the defective part warrantied.

zpt

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
.028in is about .7mm - if you don't have an easy way to measure it, then a matchbook cover is about .030in and will be close enough to get a spark

engine 'engaged' means the clutch is turning the engine when the back tire turns

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
engine 'engaged' means the clutch is turning the engine when the back tire turns
Yes, well said. I prefer to use the words 'engine engaged' rather than clutch engaged. The clutch is just the tool used to engage or disengage power to the drive train. There are different opinions as to what 'clutch engaged' means. Personally, I think that means pulled in. Like a manual transmission car, when you engage the clutch pedal the car goes into neutral.... I think 50 percent of people.disagree though. LOL.

tbone7770

Dec 6, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Since i was not getting a spark from the plug I had to send back
the CDI and the magneto to Bikeberry.com. Its been two weeks
and i just got the items back with a note stating that the magneto
tested okay but the CDI tested off by 2. i cant believe how bad customer
service has gotten these days. I recieved back a replacement CDI
which was in an unopened package so I know that they didn't test it before
it was sent back to me. I installed it on the bike and got the same
result, no spark. I gauged the spark plug at .028 as posted here
instead of .065 that the supplier told me to use and still no spark.

If i had known that it would of taken this long to get this product
working i would of never purchased it. One of the worst purchasing
decisions.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Huh... Did you read post number #5 in this thread from 2door? Particularly the first two sentences..

Building a motorized bike is supposed to be fun dude. Troubleshooting all the various issues is how you'll learn about it! I bet you're just not snapping the spark plug in correctly or overlooking something equally easy. No offense meant; I'm just suggesting it's probably an operator error rather than a vendor issue..:-||

Last edited:

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I agree with Groove. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but there is bit of learning curve here that you have to understand. To get the most out of your engine and sometimes even get it going you have to learn about how they work. These little China girls are like children, if you take the time to understand how they work, their little qwerks and oddities and listen to them, they will be well behaved. But if you think you can just slap it together and go, they will not run well or long and leave you angry.
I would suggest putting the tools down and do a TON of reading on this forum. I have spend more time here than I have actually working on my bike and it has been well worth it. Though I don't understand half as much as some of the experts here, I know how to troubleshoot a lot of issues I haven't (and hopefully won't) see. And with the search feature I can find info on almost anything I need to know.
So relax, do some reading, have a beer or a few, and enjoy! I am sure the problem is very simple and you will feel good once you figure it out! Good luck.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
Since i was not getting a spark from the plug I had to send back
the CDI and the magneto to Bikeberry.com. Its been two weeks
and i just got the items back with a note stating that the magneto
tested okay but the CDI tested off by 2. i cant believe how bad customer
service has gotten these days. I recieved back a replacement CDI
which was in an unopened package so I know that they didn't test it before
it was sent back to me. I installed it on the bike and got the same
result, no spark. I gauged the spark plug at .028 as posted here
instead of .065 that the supplier told me to use and still no spark.

If i had known that it would of taken this long to get this product
working i would of never purchased it. One of the worst purchasing
decisions.
Hi Tbone7770! My name is Jen (as you can tell from my screen name ;)) and I was the one who processed your RMA. I am sorry you feel that my customer service was less than satisfaction as that was never my intention. I am constantly looking for ways to improve and your feedback is very important to me. I typically do not write a personal note to people when I process their RMA but I thought that I owed you an explanation as to why I was sending back your Magneto and replacing your CDI. I replaced your CDI because the readings were off which can cause you to not have spark. Since that was/is the issue you are experiencing, I replaced your CDI in hopes that this would solve your issue. (apparently, this did not work and I am more than happy to troubleshoot further with you to make sure you get your engine up and running!) So please, if you are still experiencing difficulties with your engine kit, give us a call here at 1.800.317.0479 (ext 103 to get to me directly) so that we may better assist you in getting your engine up and running.
Happy Holidays!
daxtitg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The OP would be well advised to heed this offer from his vendor. It's not often that they will come forward here and try to help a customer with their problems. This vendor is obviously concerned with their customer service and is extending their offer of help on a public forum. Commendable. Thanks, Jen.

Tom