Broken front mount stud help.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can use heat, just don't cook the thing. Make it hot enough that you can't touch it with a finger. A small propane torch will suffice. Move the flame around the area and don't concentrate on one spot.

Here's one more argument against using thread locker on these engines. It isn't necessary and can cause you big problems down the road.

I doubt paint thinner will work. It will clean up a spill while the Loctite is wet but after it has cured not many solvents will touch it.
Tom

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Ok so I tried using the other easy-out. Turned out to be a bad idea haha, despite you're warnings the easy-out has snapped inside the whole (my fault I felt it grab and just kept forcing it till it snapped). What's done is done and now I'm looking for another option.

So now I'm wondering if it's possible or if anyone has done it here before, but could I drill a hole under the existing front mount hole? It seems like there is enough space to but not sure if it would be a bad idea or not. The thing is I already have the front mount from sbp so that would be the most simple solution. If this is a bad idea, I'll have to go another direction with the way Al.Fisherman did the front mounts.

Maybe the stud could go here?

And drill the mount for the new location.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
Big mistake. The red has no use on a motorized bicycle. Save it for when you're working on earth moving machines.
i have the red for my truck so its all i use i wanted the high strength but ended up with high temp lol my mistake for not reading good i use it on my tank front and rear mounts and fenders anything i dont want to come apart..duh.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Ok so instead of trying anything further and possibly messing this up even more, I figured I'd take to someone more experienced lol. So I took the motor to my step father, a couple days ago. I went over tonight to see if he did anything.

So the next thing I want to do is weld the piece the u bolt goes through on the sbp front mount to frame and it should be ready to go.

This piece:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That looks like a helicoil repair, it should work just dandy.
So the next thing I want to do is weld the piece the u bolt goes through on the sbp front mount to frame and it should be ready to go.
Why do you want to weld the muffler bracket? I have installed dozens of those and so long as you have the right sized muffler bracket they hold just fine as is and you aren't stuck with a fixed mount which you may really regret some day.

That bracket you have looks pretty big, is that why you want to weld it?
That would be silly, muffler brackets are a $3 item at the auto parts store and come in any size you want so just get one that exactly fits your down tube.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
That looks like a helicoil repair, it should work just dandy.Why do you want to weld the muffler bracket? I have installed dozens of those and so long as you have the right sized muffler bracket they hold just fine as is and you aren't stuck with a fixed mount which you may really regret some day.

That bracket you have looks pretty big, is that why you want to weld it?
That would be silly, muffler brackets are a $3 item at the auto parts store and come in any size you want so just get one that exactly fits your down tube.
You are correct sir, the exhaust clamp that came with the mount is too big, and the smallest one they carry, which is the 1-3/8" exhaust clamp. If I where to get a small exhaust clamp that would make the U bolt smaller, so would I need to do any modifications the other bracket that bolts to the motor?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You are correct sir, the exhaust clamp that came with the mount is too big, and the smallest one they carry, which is the 1-3/8" exhaust clamp. If I where to get a small exhaust clamp that would make the U bolt smaller, so would I need to do any modifications the other bracket that bolts to the motor?
Sick bikes sales 2 size Z brackets for the front mount. One is for smaller muffler clamps (1 3/8 to 1 1/4" , the other for larger ones (1 1/2 to 2"), but both accept a range of U bolts, hence the angled slot on each side for the muffler clamp.
The difference is the width of the plate and where the slots are so if the proper fitting muffle clamp don't fit you bought the wrong one.

You need to know the exact diameter of your tube to match up a clamp.
I picked up a vernier caliper for like a buck at harbor freight years back and was amazed how much use I get out of it.

If you don't have one you can measure the distance around the tube and divide it by Pi for the diameter, try to get to within 1/8th to 1/4".

With the right sized muffler clap your front mount won't be going anywhere like this build in the stall now.

That is 2" and sorry it is hard to see as an example but unless it is a silver or gray bike all the mounts get paint so they disappear ;-}

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I did get a caliper and measured the down tube, but it's smaller than when sbp carried. I don't have the measurement right now I'd have to measure again and see if there is an exhaust clamp the same size.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California

So I measured the DT again, as you can see it says 1inches. I noticed exhaust clamp that came with kit is from napa auto parts, does anyone know if they sell a smaller clamp like a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8?