Grubee No Start Situation

GoldenMotor.com

vhatley

Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73118
Hey guys, what b happenin? Have a Grubee 66/80 cc, fairly new engine, probably less that 50 miles, that wont start at all. Friend said that it ran for a bit, but the just quit. First thought was the problematic carbs, so replaced it with the much simpler one, that is good, (ran on another bike,) tried 3 different spark plugs, and yes, the spark is good to the plug, hand is still a little numb from the spark at the cap. Loosened the exhaust to make sure there wasn't a restriction. Good compression, but removed the head just to look, and the cylinder still has hone marks, but is showing good signs of the rings seating, it's that new. Still no start...going to check the crank seals right now, but I really don't think I'll find anything there. Any ideas??:-||

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
that was the last problem i had with mine before i threw it in the corner and bought a
sky horse kit the GT-5 is horrible it might be the case seal does it want to start at all is the question mine is a sheared woodruff key throwing the timing off that i dont want to fix at this point

vhatley

Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73118
cool, didn't think of the woodruff key...look at that when I check the seals. As far as the start...not even trying. Tried on a 1 block downhill, then walked home, my butt is too old to pedal a beach cruiser up a dam hill...thanks for the quick answer, BTW.

vhatley

Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73118
Ok, fresh 91 octane, 32:1 mix, good carb, getting gas to cylinder. Pulled the in tank filter, and still nothing. Just checked the woodruff, and that's okay...but it looks like the other guy was in there, so is it possible to put the magneto on the crank backwards? Well I can see it is possible, but which side goes out?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
there is a post on here to tell where the magneto is suposed to point when the engine is at TDC i dont remember what it was but it will tell you whether its on backwards or not

vhatley

Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73118
Got it! The magneto stator was backwards, but I'm gonna leave the dude the simpler carb, he's wanting to learn them and that is a better place to start. There was also a problem with the spark plug cap...as per the norm. But here is the best way I have found to fix that...2 nuts on the screw on the plug, and then clamp the bare wire between them.

Thanks a lot Johnny, the help is very appreciated..wee.