problems installing engine...

GoldenMotor.com

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hi all,

I've been having problems installing my engine.

When putting on the chain the clutch lever was still working. I put chain on bottom part of sprocket, pushed the clutch lever and turned the sprocket to get the chain to come out and connect the two chain ends together.

Installing all other pieces went fine, CDI, throttle handle, clutch handle, carburetor etc.

But the engine won't start!

Now here are the problems:
- Somehow yesterday the setup changed so that without pulling the clutch lever the back wheel spins freely. So the clutch is permanently disengaged and won't engage or disengage anymore.

- I took off the drive gear cover and now it won't fit back on. The bucking bar sticks out too much. I managed to take out the ball bearing this morning and it all looks clean behind it, just a horizontal piece of metal against which the ball bearing pushes.
The clutch lever is facing towards the back of the bike so that the flat part is against the bucking bar.

- When spark plug is disconnected and I turn the back wheel, the piston does not move.

- When spark plug is disconnected from engine but connected to CDI and held to the engine fins it gives no sparks when turning the wheel.

- A kill switch was not provided, is there a homemade solution to this with some wires near the steering wheel? There is rubber between the engine and frame.

I'm really at a loss of what to do next. I don't think the Kenyan bicycle shop that I bought it at knows anything more than I do.

I get a lot of attention on the streets with the engine in the bike but I'd really like to get it running also. Hope some of you can help.

For some pics of the bicycle see: http://www.bit.ly/kenyanbicycles

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Have you pulled the cover off of the clutch side of the engine yet? I wonder if your flower nut retaining screw came out and the flower nut loosened up?

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
I did take off the cover on the right side, even removed the flowernut and the screw in the flowernut. Does not seem to make a difference.

Read on the forum that it might have something to do with the woodruff key, don't know where that is located and how to remove it though. I have very limited tools at home here in Kenya, just a multitool and an adjustable wrench.

Could anyone advise on how to make a makeshift kill switch until I buy one at a shop somewhere? Is a wire going from the white engine wire to somewhere on the frame sufficient? Connect the wire to the frame when starting the engine and disconnect when stopping the engine?

Thanks for all your input.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
The woodruff key on the clutch side is under the small bevel gear. If the woodruff key has sheared, when the clutch lever is not pulled in and you roll the back tire, the clutch gear and bevel gear will move but the crank will not (and neither will the piston).

Sounds like this might be your issue.

The only special tool you need to remove the bevel gear to check/replace the woodruff key is a gear puller which comes with most kits. If yours did not come with one, there are a bunch for sale online and I think a lot of forum members have extras.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Also, you do not (repeat; do not) want to ground your white wire to the frame for an engine kill switch. The white wire is there for a different purpose altogether.

One thing that you might do is to wire a switch into the blue wire. When this switch is open your spark plug will not fire. When the switch is closed, it will fire.

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
Sadly I did not get the gear puller with my kit. The shop here in Kenya had just a carton box with all the parts in it. No kill switch, no manual...

Most vendors on internet won't send to Africa so that'll be a problem. I'll go to the shop today and try and convince them the engine was not working when I got it and demand a new one. But they don't have many left because they have stopped importing them, most people here now opt to buy the 125cc motorcycles.

So I can just buy a simple switch somewhere and put it between the blue wire of the cdi and the red/black wire of the engine? (Me engine has the following wires: black, red/black, white and CDI has: black, blue) I understand to leave the white wire alone altogether, but is grounding not necessary at all?

Will keep you updated and hopefully post some pictures.