The little gear puller tool....

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A member here asked me for help with using the little puller tool that comes with the China Girl kits.
This forum will not allow me to reply with a long winded response so I will post it here and link to it instead.
Hopefully this can help out others here as well.
I though that instructions for using the tool had been covered here before, but I cannot find them..... so here goes:

Your engine should have come with the puller tool. It is double ended and each end is a different size to fit either the small crank shaft pinion gear, the clutch hub, or the drive sprocket. Which end fits what I cannot recall right now.

Remove both the mounting nut and lock washer that is holding the part being removed from the engine shaft.
Before using the tool inspect it for dirt and crud in the threads as well as the threads in the part you wish to remove. Remove any crud found with a toothbrush and some automotive parts spray cleaner (carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner work well).

Remove the center tension bolt from the tool. Put a drop of oil on the tension bolt threads as well as the threads on the outer part of the tool.
Determine which end of the tool will fit the part and carefully, slowly thread only the outer part of the tool into the part being removed, being very careful that the tool is going in straight and true. The threads are very fine in relation to the diameter and can easily cross thread. If you suspect that cross threading is occurring, STOP and carefully unscrew the tool. Inspect the threads on both the tool as well as the part for any damage, and if no damage is found, try again. If cross threading happens and you force the tool to tighten up, chances are that it will not thread into the part far enough to hold fast and grip it well enough to remove the part, popping out when tension is applied, either way ruining the threads on both the tool and part.

If the threads are damaged during tool installation and you catch it in time and back the tool out, you may get lucky and be able to straighten out the threads with a sharp scribe or the sharpened tip of a drywall screw. Careful that you don't stab yourself while doing this!

After the tool is fully threaded into the part and tightened only snug, put a drop of oil on the tip of the pre oiled tension bolt and thread the tension bolt into the center of the tool.
You will notice that the outside of the tool has a hex shape to it like a bolt or nut, This is to allow you to hold it with a wrench while tightening the tension bolt with another wrench. Tighten the tension bolt into the tool and expect it to take alot of pressure before loosing the part. If things get really stoopid tight, do not risk stripping the threads, instead, hit the tension bolt on the end (like driving a nail into a board) with a small hammer. Not too hard, just a good, firm smack. This will induce a shock into the parts to be removed and usually pop the part off of the shaft. Sometimes it takes 2 or 4 smacks to get it done.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: The little tool....

Thanks, Gear.
That little tool has been responsible for a number of questions from new builders who find it in the kit. Usually people just tell them what it is and what it's used for but never go into detail about HOW to use it.

We should all bookmark this thread and link to it whenever anyone asks about the weird black thing they found in the box. Thanks for taking the time to answer it right.
Tom