Announcing the Howard Sprocket Mount!

GoldenMotor.com

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
That is one ultra beefy looking hub mount, no danger of that bad boy slipping! how much does that thing weigh? That makes others of its kind look like a toy.
Nice work Sgt.
FR

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
can you provide specs on the SIZE of the hub this will mount to so I can compare it to hubs I own to see if it will fit? Diameter and width of hole... I like the idea, but dont have any of the hubs you mention....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Send a cheque to:
Gregory F. Howard
922 19th Ave.
Oroville WA. 98844
I do not have a paypal account, but I WILL shipp the moment the cheque arrives. Yours is Unit #0004
the Old Sgt.
Hey Sgt., you need to get on board with PayPal, it helps people feel confident when purchasing from a small company or individual. Trust me, you will get more orders if you use PayPal....

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Any plans for making versions for multi-speed hubs with freewheels, or are you concentrating on the coaster brake market?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
You might look into the USPS flat rate boxes, they have smaller ones that ship nationwide for about $5 bucks that I am pretty sure would work. Flat rate is always nice (when its low), cause you can just list the price for the unit shipped, another way to encourage people to order (by not gouging on shipping).

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
How about marketing them through a widely known motor kit and part store? Bikeberry sells the Kip Springer Chain Tensioners and the Manic hub adapters. Yours looks better and is a similar price. Bikeberry might hire you on, or perhaps other companies like the sponsors on this page (Venice, Piston Bikes, Kings, ThatsDax.

That would simplify your ordering system, and they'd get free traffic from your own marketing. I'm sick of the "half-rag" system because I can't use the fat chains. I'll think about your adapter. I was thinking of buying the $35 pineapple kit, but your idea drives the hub instead of the spokes, so it is really appealing. Using the HT cogs makes it a real winner.

How do-
I'm Sgt. Howard and I've finally designed and commissioned my own hub design to rid these bikes of the dreaded 'rag mount'. There's been more than a few folks reporting broken spokes useing the HT ragmount as supplied in the kit- I personally did not trust it as anything that clamps to half of your spokes and then pushes your bike cannot truly be your friend- so I came up with my own design, independant of other clamp-to-the-hub operations- it is a three-piece hub clamp designed for the Worksman monospeed hub (Shiamono CB-110) or the Chinese clones thereof on the Huffy Cranbrook. Other hub sizes will be avaliable as development allows. These C-N-C produced hubmounts will take the HT sprocket without hiccough, anchoring it on nearly 6 square inches of contact held by 6 five-sixteenths by two-and-a-half inch bolts torqued to 20 footpounds. I mounted the prototype on a Huffy Kareoke where I smeared the hub with axel grease before I mounted it... it has not budged, and that's with my 200lb carcass driving it hard!
Pix comming soon- need to downsize the images to work. PM me regarding purchase, or Email- [email protected] - I can send images through Email. Currently asking $55 plus shipping- this is a heavy, over-engineered device that is fail resistant to a remarkable degree. I will pit it against any other on the market.
the Old Sgt.usflg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Howard, I sent an email inquiring about the Howard Mount and shipping. I expect to buy one. I look at my bike as a sum of working parts, and that is a nice part. I'll post pictures when I get one and install it. (KT Hi Stop hub on heavy duty mb wheels)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Heck yeah! If someone made this for Shimano freewheel hubs or cassette hubs (like LX or Deore Mtn bike hubs), that would be cool.

You can find 6 hole cogs (pirates? Kings?) that fit on 6 bolt disc brake rotors, and get a "cheap" mtn bike disc brake hub (LX, XT, etc).

I like the adapter idea better, because it could fit more hubs, and gives you alignment room without washers.

There is more market than just china-kit riders, because the Dax Chain Drive and others could use grubee cogs with this.

Any plans for making versions for multi-speed hubs with freewheels, or are you concentrating on the coaster brake market?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Heck yeah! If someone made this for Shimano freewheel hubs or cassette hubs (like LX or Deore Mtn bike hubs), that would be cool.
I'm with you on this one, I run a Shimano Deore LX freewheel hub and none of the sprocket adapters seem to fit this hub. I was kinda surprised to see this type of hub omitted by the sprocket adapter makers, they seem to be pretty common hubs.
I know lots of people run beach cruisers and cheapo bikes, but I am certain plenty of riders run quality bikes as well, and it seems more likely that someone running a better quality bike would be more likely to spend the cash for a better sprocket adapter, as opposed to those that build their bikes on the cheap....

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Has anybody bought one from him yet? I want to buy one. He told me by Email, 55$USD and about $9 shipping or less. Sounds ok to me. He should put them up for sale as Buy-it-now on Ebay, then he could do a brisk business, surely. Rag joints suck!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've been using the Howard mount for almost two months with no problems at all. Being a three peice mount means it applies more grip area to the hub. If ya think about it for a sec. you'll realize the same thing I did. With a two piece mount there's no way for it to apply any pressure to the hub where the bolts go through. That leaves only two points of pressure on the hub. With the three piece mount it applies pressure all the way around to almost the entire hub. I also like the idea that you can change a sprocket size without a lot of B.S.
I've got a Manic Mechanic hub in my shop, I only use it to explain to my customers why the Howard mount is better. The Manic mount has been around for a while and a lot of people are using them. It's not a "bad" mounting system, It's just the Howard is a better one.
fatdaddy.
I have those fender struts fixed properly now.

Attachments

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
For Shimano freehubs, the only thing I know of is the Hybriped sprocket adapter (18 bolt sandwich adapter with a freewheel mechanism). Last I heard it was around $50, and you can pedal start with it.

You could also replace it with a Grubee HD hub, but you can't pedal start.

I'll order the Howard bracket because I only need 1 rear speed, so I'm using a KT Hi-stop hub.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I'm with you on this one, I run a Shimano Deore LX freewheel hub and none of the sprocket adapters seem to fit this hub. I was kinda surprised to see this type of hub omitted by the sprocket adapter makers, they seem to be pretty common hubs.
I know lots of people run beach cruisers and cheapo bikes, but I am certain plenty of riders run quality bikes as well, and it seems more likely that someone running a better quality bike would be more likely to spend the cash for a better sprocket adapter, as opposed to those that build their bikes on the cheap....
... OK, guilty as charged. I only got into this motored bike thing in 2010, and yea, I did the WalMart thing and got a Huffster. As it stands, I order these things from a C&C shop that charges me PLENTY to cut them out. I do them 20 at a pop- we're seeing the last of the first 20 dissappear rather quickly now. I've not cut any for other sizes because I've not built any other style of bike other than the Cranbrick and it's variations. As things work out, other sizes will become avaliable- but first I need to... get a tax licence, build a website AND a paypal account, advertise all over ****'s half acre... and start employing workers for my assembly line, because I have created more products than I can build. What started as a means of overcoming gas expenses turned into something with a life of it's own, and it seems I am in it for the ride whether I like it or not. Brake light switches for any cable operated brake that do not require dissasembly of brakes (and are weather resistant), complete lighting systems that trickle off the white wire and give exellent illumination and visibility, mounting systems for that wretched PNP carb, piezio horns to name but a few concepts... these are not speed implementia, but items to create reliable, safe, DOT compliant machines. That's my ultimate goal.. state by state, these things WILL fall under regulations regardless of our best efforts. If we are to enjoy them, we need to prepare... so far, they are legally bicycles in Okanogan County, but for how long?
In time, freewheelers (multispeeds) will be addressed by my system. When they do, they will recieve the same, clunky, over-built quality that marks my obsessive nature... your bike will turn to dust before my mount slips.
the Old Sgt. usflg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I got it on there! Pics and or video to follow this week. It just BARELY fit between the spoke heads and elbows down onto the hub, and some of the spokes brace against the blocks, but do not deform from their normal course. On anything even a little wider, or with standard spokes, its a snap.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I tried it on a Walmart Schwinn / Star Circle Rims freewheel hub. It cleared the spokes and the flanges, and the 9 hole pattern cleared the flange, but the center hole is HUGE compared to the barrel. So it looks like one could be made for generic freewheel hubs, just need different center hole. (and use the 36h wheels, not the 18 spoke wheels! I use a friction drive on this bike).

I will see if it fits on my LX mountain bike hub Monday or Tue.

It's possible it will barely! fit the KT HI stop hub. I will try measuring it to see if I can disassemble the spokes/nipples and install it, then re-build the wheel. (PITA but would be so worth it if it fits! Otherwise back to the half-rag. fooey!)

Like I said Bro, The Howard mount is just a better one. I think yer gonna like it. But still, let us know how it works out for ya.
fatdaddy.