Honda GX35 Information Thread

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
This thread will be dedicated to the Honda HX35. All and any information for people new to this engine, and will hopefully reduce some initial confusion that I experienced. As evidenced by my previous thread I was un aware that all the HX35 is prone to bogging down (bad enough to stall the motor) at WOT before break in is complete. This seems to gradually subside after a few tanks of gasoline. .

More frequent oil changes during break in may help. Honda recommends changing the oil every 10 hours of use with 10W30 4 stroke oil.

A completely dry (never oiled) motor will take 3.0 ounces of oil. During oil changes the motor will accept 2.7 ounces of oil, or just to the threads where the oil dipstick screws in.

In comparison to the 2 stroke Tanaka 40, the Honda has a broad flat torque curve starting all the way at the bottom of the rpm range. The Tanaka in comparison, is much more of a higher RPM power source. They both seem to get upto about 30 mph on a beach cruiser with a 200 pound man.

GX35 is extremely quiet, especially at idle, and the motor never sound like its being stressed or overworked.

The first few times the GX35 was run it seemed like it was giving off tremendous amounts of heat, at least more than I was used to. This has since decreased greatly with use and oil change.

If you've run a GX35 on a bike please add your to this short body of knowledge for the next guy.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
If you're riding a bike with a GX35 on seriously rough terrain, don't fill the oil to max. Fill it to just below the minimum requirement and add a tiny bit to maintain that level every time you take the bike out. This will help prevent the oil from getting sucked up into places it ain't suppose to be.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Excuse me. Does the Honda GX35 carburetor plug up at the idle jet and main jet with Caifornia gas like the carburetor on the Honda 50, then runs rough at take off or top end? Thankyou for all the information on this little red engine.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
I"m in Hawaii, so I'm not sure about Cali gas, but ours idles just fine. I haven't needed to adjust or clean the carb either so I haven't had to dig into it. This is just the info I have garnered in the short time I've had the engine, since March of this year.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
I just received one of these in the mail a week or so ago--along with a mounting kit from GEBE. I have noticed while breaking it in that some gas seems to be getting into the oil. Is this just a breaking in phenomenon or what?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Not sure what is wrong with my new Honda GX35, but I'm not all that happy with it. It sounds like it is sucking air or is not getting enough gas for the first 3-4 minutes of start up. After that it runs fine. I also get gas that comes out of the air filter and lands on my foot during that time. I'm going to try and take the air filter cover off and try and run it and see if that helps. If that does the trick, I might be looking for an aftermarket air filter for it. I've got a GEBE in the mail coming to me but I'm going to use a Japanese motor for it. Either a robin subaru eho35 or a Tanaka 40. I had a Honda GX31 that was made in Japan. It was a good runner. When Honda went to Thialand when making the GX35, I think quality control went with it.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Tom Allen: The engine should not be leaking gas into the oil, sometimes if there's too much oil the oil will travel to the air filter. But the gas and oil should not be mixing. I would contact GEBE and ask them what you should do, it sounds like something was damaged during shipping.

Albula vulpes: Sounding rough on start up is normal, its a weed whacker motor they are just cranky like that. As for gas in the air filter, if your current Honda GX35 is from GEBE I would contact them. Or who ever you bought it through.

newinertia

Feb 27, 2014
ft lauderdale
I have just installed a GX35 on my pusher trailer, and i wanted to share my experiences in the first ten hours of use.
Firstly, I ordered the engine from Small engine warehouse- $260 after shipping, built the trailer and installed it, and filled with oil like the manual with it said, i was using a 20" heavy duty bmx wheel and pocket bike cvt.
I went for the first test ride, and all was great for 10 minutes, then it quickly lost power and died. I pedaled to the nearest gas station for a soda to let it cool and look for problems, but none were obvious other than really hot. Waited 30 minutes and it started first pull, resumed my ride to friends house 3 more miles, hot as heck again. this time I let it cool completely for an hour and rode it home- it was a bit faster than before. Riding in short hops for the next 5 hours made it seem like it was getting happier. I had installed a digital tach/hourmeter for this valuable info. Oil change time- 7 hrs- just unbolted the engine and tipped it up to drain into a pan, wow, crap, a metallic sheen to the used oil! I dont know if the small amount of oil that was originally in the engine might have been zinc fortified break in oil or if the motor is already dying??? I have now put another 2 hours on it and I dont really see as much metal on the dipstick, so I will change the oil again in a few days and we shall see...
Other than this metallic oil, I like the little engine, and it is so quiet being way back on the end of the trailer, Im pretty happy with it! The chinese cvt on the other hand has already started squealing from the driven pulley shaft bearing, so a replacement timken american made equivalent will be installed throughout the transmission next week.

God Bless American Bearings!.trlrl.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Bohemian Lady: I have contacted GEBE: They refuse to take any responsibility for the engine and advise me to go to a small engines repair outfit in my area. GEBE has a good drive system but a miserable customer service dept.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
I'm not optimistic about the customer service at this point either... Their Kevlar belts keep breaking, regardless of how the belt is tracking. The first belt I can chalk up to operator error, but a second belt that barely lasted a month WTF. I'm really starting to get miffed.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have just installed a GX35 on my pusher trailer, and i wanted to share my experiences in the first ten hours of use.
Firstly, I ordered the engine from Small engine warehouse- $260 after shipping, built the trailer and installed it, and filled with oil like the manual with it said, i was using a 20" heavy duty bmx wheel and pocket bike cvt.
I went for the first test ride, and all was great for 10 minutes, then it quickly lost power and died. I pedaled to the nearest gas station for a soda to let it cool and look for problems, but none were obvious other than really hot. Waited 30 minutes and it started first pull, resumed my ride to friends house 3 more miles, hot as heck again. this time I let it cool completely for an hour and rode it home- it was a bit faster than before. Riding in short hops for the next 5 hours made it seem like it was getting happier. I had installed a digital tach/hourmeter for this valuable info. Oil change time- 7 hrs- just unbolted the engine and tipped it up to drain into a pan, wow, crap, a metallic sheen to the used oil! I dont know if the small amount of oil that was originally in the engine might have been zinc fortified break in oil or if the motor is already dying??? I have now put another 2 hours on it and I dont really see as much metal on the dipstick, so I will change the oil again in a few days and we shall see...
Other than this metallic oil, I like the little engine, and it is so quiet being way back on the end of the trailer, Im pretty happy with it! The chinese cvt on the other hand has already started squealing from the driven pulley shaft bearing, so a replacement timken american made equivalent will be installed throughout the transmission next week.

God Bless American Bearings!.trlrl.
Metal in the oil is fairly standard for break in on a four stroke as there are a lot of moving parts wearing in to each other when you first start using a new engine.
As long as it doesn't keep doing it after the first few oil changes you should be fine.
Most four strokes I have dealt with were a bit cranky until they had a few tanks run through them.
This is the main reason full synthetic oil is not good for break in. It simply works too well and doesn't allow the parts to bed in like they need to for a reliable motor.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
My Honda GX35 is running better too. It still does not run as good as my Honda GX31 did though. It is a Made in Thialand vs. Made in Japan difference.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Every setup is different even with the MUCH more consistent Honda engine.
Some run tight from new, other are good from day one.
It's all about where the tolerances lean when all the parts add up to an engine.
Tight engines take longer to free up and get right
Some come sloppy and loose and scream from the box
Some are just right from day one and last forever.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Every setup is different even with the MUCH more consistent Honda engine.
Some run tight from new, other are good from day one.
It's all about where the tolerances lean when all the parts add up to an engine.
Tight engines take longer to free up and get right
Some come sloppy and loose and scream from the box
Some are just right from day one and last forever.
Lets agree to disagree. Honda's were better when they were made in Japan.

UP Rider

Jun 29, 2014
Upper Peninsula MI
Hello

I have my 2nd 35 GX and all is well after about 400 miles. Grenaded my first after about 1400. For a $260 replacement its still cheaper than a car.

I've seen claims of 30 plus with these little beasties and I have only clocked out at 24 on a flat.

A thought, swap out the 1 inch drive roller to a 1.34, the largest that Stanton offers ?

I realize that I will lose climbing ability but hey, my " Gofast " devil has been revived. Partially anyways.

Last edited:

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Hello

I have my 2nd 35 GX and all is well after about 400 miles. Grenaded my first after about 1400. For a $260 replacement its still cheaper than a car.

I've seen claims of 30 plus with these little beasties and I have only clocked out at 24 on a flat.

A thought, swap out the 1 inch drive roller to a 1.34, the largest that Stanton offers ?

I realize that I will lose climbing ability but hey, my " Gofast " devil has been revived. Partially anyways.
What do you mean, "grenaded"? 1400 miles is a pretty poor show for a Honda engine.