Pros / Cons Centrifugal Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
yea you can just hit the throttle and go. I think that style of clutch has a sprag, so you can still bump start like normal, and away you go.

a con would be pedal clearance, as that whole unit adds like 1"'ish to the side of your engine. Something to consider.

Other's will chime in, but the big issue will be pedal clearance I think.

gl.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am a firm believer in using the centrifugal clutch, and all my builds now come with a centrifugal clutch.

Pros:
No need to mess with the clutch lever when slowing down or stopping.
Clutch pucks only in action with starting, afterwards clutch and pressure plate stay squeezed together (less clutch puck wear).
Can start from a standstill with no pedaling needed.
Rotating mass of clutch shoes makes idle smoother and allows a lower idle speed to be set (flywheel effect).

Cons:
More pedal clearance required, bend out your pedal cranks or buy a wide crank kit.
In some cases, due to crankshaft size tolerances, some filing of crankshaft or grinding of inner surface of clutch bearing might be needed for the clutch cover to go on without hitting.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
If your not into racing it is the way to go. I find it great for my stop and go city riding.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If your not into racing it is the way to go. I find it great for my stop and go city riding.
That is the reason that I first got into using the centrifugal clutch.

In my area, there's a stop sign at every corner, and constantly clutching got old real quick, so much so, that I preferred riding my friction drive bikes / GEBE setup instead.

After installing the centrifugal clutch, it became my favorite ride again.

huffy80

Who comes to a complete stop on a bicycle? A lot of the commuters I see on the way to work barely slow down.

.duh.

That is the reason that I first got into using the centrifugal clutch.

In my area, there's a stop sign at every corner, and constantly clutching got old real quick, so much so, that I preferred riding my friction drive bikes / GEBE setup instead.

After installing the centrifugal clutch, it became my favorite ride again.

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california
Who comes to a complete stop on a bicycle? A lot of the commuters I see on the way to work barely slow down.

.duh.
Funny enough the one and only time I've been pulled over on my MB was because I rolled through a stop sign, turning right to keep my momentum going up a hill. The cop was right around the corner, he told me he see's bicycles do it it all the time but since I had my motor on he had to pull me over. He told me straight up he wasn't going to give me a ticket, just to try and stop at stop signs if I've got the motor on.

He ended up asking me if I built it myself and how much it cost/MPG :D

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
There will be some power loss when it is slipping, but once it is engaged, it acts just like any other centrifugal clutch assembly.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Funny enough the one and only time I've been pulled over on my MB was because I rolled through a stop sign, turning right to keep my momentum going up a hill. The cop was right around the corner, he told me he see's bicycles do it it all the time but since I had my motor on he had to pull me over. He told me straight up he wasn't going to give me a ticket, just to try and stop at stop signs if I've got the motor on.

He ended up asking me if I built it myself and how much it cost/MPG :D
Oh dang, where in california do you live? and what do you have with you as in helmet, licensing, and registration?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Cool info here. I think Im gonna put one on My girls China this winter the lever clutch is too much for her.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'm a firm believer in the centrifugal clutch and decided 2 years ago to never build another bike without one.

With appropriate gearing, i.e. a shifter kit, my 1st gear is low enough to get the bike moving without any pedaling up a 10% grade. So far, it has been 100% reliable and I regularly take it on long rides on mountain trails 5+ hours without shutting off engine (I have 2 gas tanks, one in front and a rack mounted tank for 1 gallon total).

If you have a small single speed rear sprocket, you'd probably want to pedal as you engage throttle to save the clutch from excessive wear.

While there is more rotating mass with the clutch, I don't see much loss in performance and feel (in my case) that acceleration is faster because my bike's gearing allows me to start off from a stop without having to pedal up to speed before engaging the engine.

My only complaint about the centri clutch is that some are louder than others meaning that an occasional rattling noise is experienced.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA

.duh.
Right. Same where I live. When they really want bicyclists to stop, they put up a sign like the one below. The sign means you could get a ticket for not stopping on your bike.

When I bike up to 4-way stop interestion, stopped cars will always let me go first. I slow down to make sure, but the cars rarely move until I have ridden through the intersection even if I was the last to arrive.

Attachments

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Thanks for the info guys. here in Indiana law sates that mopeds (in Indiana motor bicycle are classified as mopeds) 50cc or less 2 hp or less and automatic transmission. now single speed drive with a clutch??? if i ever got pulled over might get a big ticket, might be classified as a motorcycle.

they have been cracking down on moped this summer. speeding and no helmet if under 18 ect (i am well over 18) and i don,t speed in town and i have insurance $30 a year .

i had seen the Centrifugal Clutch on ebay and motor bicycle web sites and wonders about them.

the cost of Centrifugal Clutch is a lot less than a bunch of traffic tickets for riding a illegal motorcycle lol.

thanks