cant seem to sell these things!

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I was just wondering if you guys have the same problem.

I have been trying to sell two of my motorized bikes on craigs list for a while. They are both just about brand new. One is mostly stock on a specialized bike that has been rebuilt (the red one) The other one is heavily moded and I have at least 1200 into it (the black one). I am selling for 350 (red) and 450 (black) OBO and no takers. These bikes are mint and run perfect. Why no takers?

I just thought I would ask you guys what is going on? It seems a while back people on here where having no problem selling these things for 500+.

Here is a link to the CL listing:
2 motorized bikes for sale or trade

Thanks in advance for your input.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think that while this forum is full of knowledgable people, the lay world is not so up on such tech. Your bikes appear quite reasonable to someone who knows something of both bikes and the motors, your ad seems particularly technical- and probably lost on most people.

I think a general problem here selling these bikes and motors is that people are skeptical of something home built- that they may have to mess with. They can get a scooter for the same money, and take it to a shop if it breaks. Motorized bikes are more a gamble.

I muse once and awhile about it- although age and arthritis and living in an apartment preclude acting it. I could have easily done a build or two a week in my prime, but wonder if they'd sell.

I would personallly keep it very simple, using the least expensive kits and cruisers, and aiming to sell to people who want a cheap transportation workhorse- maybe put a basket on and use as an alternative to taking a car. In fact I just got back from a trip to the grocery with a front basket full of goodies- here in Florida this is possible most of the year. I put in a dollars worth of gas that will be good for maybe a half dozen trips.

but I only use the motor because I can't pedal a regular bike so often now in my late 50's. Wish I could.

When I put my first build together a year and half ago- a new cruser could be had for under $100 at Walmart and the motor kits just over 100. In fact I bought a kit for 105 delivered from Boygofast just a year ago. I figured if I built to sell I could have a new bike up for $225 and still maybe clear $125- a used cruiser maybe even less. But prices are up now on kits, and new cruisers. Individual bike parts are expensive- although it all tends to accumulate in various spare parts the more one does- you have to have a place to keep them and a place to work from.

So I've never tried to sell or build to sell myself- but i think that people want something they don't want to mess with- most don't know how. The market is going to be almost entirely male- and perhaps the best targets are older men with some mechanical skills, who may not want to build a motorized bike, but who can keep it running and save on some transportation costs and have fun doing it.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hm, maybe people think you're trying to sell them both at once? Maybe try separate ads for each bike? Sounds like a good deal to me. Might have better luck in the spring. Good luck.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Killercanuck hit the nail on the head. The time to buy a boat is in the fall. The time to sell it is late spring early summer. Buy a snowmobile in the spring or early summer. This is the worst time of year here in the north country... for selling a bike, or canoe or boat... any of the summer things. Even those who indulge themselves and buy un-needed toys, tend to be seasonal.
SB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Even the Cruisers don't sell well out here.:(:rolleyes: I watch Craigslist like a hawk. Then after selling one comes some of the silly questions later. I think there is a reason why bikes shops don't carry these things.

I would still build these things for friends though.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
I am on my third bike, I try not to put more then $250 into them and I sell em for $400, but I also offer to barter, with the way things are right now, people have things that are worth way more then what your selling, and they are willing to trade because they have no money. So, my first bike, 66cc grubee on a very nice mountain bike, sold within 2 days of posting, got $200 cash and a brand new shot gun that I sold shortly after for $200. second bike, a cranbrook, $400 cash, I got offered though, a pepsi machine, a 9hp outboard, a 79 olds cutlass, and tons of other things. now I have a micargi, just keep your prices low and if your posting on craigslist, have big beautiful pics and a short novel for a discription and it should sell

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think there's anything wrong with your bikes or the price. It doesn't have anything to do with any of that. The problem is nobody has ever heard of these bikes outside of us. Why would anyone look on CL for something they've never heard of. The ones that have heard don't want to buy yours, they'll make their own.

Here in Dallas there's shops all over town selling pocket bikes, and crappy cheap scooters. They all sprung up out of nowhere in the last 5 years. No one is selling motor bicycles, because they don't know they exist.

What would help a lot is if we could get in a major motorcycle magazine. We need mainstream exposure.

I think someday there will be a huge market for these bikes because unlike pocket bikes or crappy little cheap scooters, these bikes are practical and can be be ridden on the street.

Last edited:

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Another thing, these things are one of those things that when you see one in person you say " wow, thats awesome!" I think the more you get out and show it off, and then when some one says "where can I get one?" you can just say " well, actually, this one is for sale" done deal.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Add the required brake light, horn, and maybe even a headlight and turn signals. Get the California moped plate for it and advertise it as a street legal moped. Now it can be used for transportation as well as off-road play. It may expand the market for the bikes and command a higher price.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Another thing, these things are one of those things that when you see one in person you say " wow, thats awesome!" I think the more you get out and show it off, and then when some one says "where can I get one?" you can just say " well, actually, this one is for sale" done deal.
This is actually a pretty good strategy, as I get asked and pulled over daily as to where can I get one of these things? I could have sold any one of my bikes in a heart beat, several times a week. They are a novelty, but a practical means of fun transportation at the same time. Everyone loves them.....young and old, male and female and on and on.....seriously. I hand out cards now and people are starting to get a clue. Spread the word, it's a good thing!

dance1dnut.wee.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think walander and scotto have it right. The bikes themselves are the best advertisement. My own sales strategy is to make a couple killer rides which get attention. One I built last summer to look something like an old Indian and I made a sidecar for it out of a canoe. That bike in a tourist canoe town will stop traffic. That's why I built it. I also made the EZMotorbike as a kind of high end build and am now doing a Greyhound on a 51 Schwinn. All three bikes must be good looking and run well sine they are rolling advertisments. I will have my business cards much like Scotto's also with a link to a website I hope to finish this winter. When the curious stop to look a bike over I can tell by the questions whether or not to give out a card. Some people I don't want to sell a bike to. I'm looking mostly for people like myself, older folks who remember the great cruisers and always wanted a motor on theirs. Did the playing cards thing. That's my target customer and who I build bikes for. They have money and if they want the bike will buy one. I have a couple cheaper bikes to let go of next summer, China girls on old cruisers... not so flashy and not much money in them. By comparison they will seem a bargain. And as has been suggested one is open to barter on the lower end bikes, you might come out way ahead. I had not thought of that, so thanks for the tip. (I want to be done with the cheap bikes for liability reasons.) I also think it helps to have an idea who you are making bikes for... who your target customers are. Some of you will look toward the lowest price and simplest build for the person without much money. If you're going to put money in them which as you know adds up quickly, you need to know who is likely to buy it. It won't be the teenager or college student. Too broke. Nicer bikes require buyers with nicer incomes.
Not that I really know, it is simply the plan I'm formulating. Your plan will probably be different, but you need a plan. I think Craigs List is a great place to buy stuff, but not so great for selling. Ebay is great for selling, but not so great for buying.
SB

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I am dealing with this same issue.... very helpful posts guys.... I have finished 4 bikes now and sold one..... the one that sold was a huffy cranbrook that i listed on C.L. for $395... the same ad had a vintage cruiser that i poured alot of hours and more money into than the cranbrook and priced a hundred dollars more.... the guy was impressed but wanted the cranbrook ( sorry bairdco)... it was the price.... i am working on a really cool 1953 schwinn corvette now that will have to be priced even higher... but imo will be a bargin.... i spent two days with just paint and refurbishing on the bike before even starting on the engine kit. now i'm thinking the slightly higher priced bikes might be collecting dust awhile though.... i ride my schwinn jaguar around town with a for sale sign, so far it has gotten more attention than any of my craigs list ads, the bike i sold was in an ad that featured all for bikes lined up in one pic.... and the guy said thats what did it, he was considering building one himself but thought it would be better to get one from someone that had built several bikes and was offering service as well.... i ordered 2 more engine kits today, the interest is incredible here and the sales will come...oh , my MB is my only form of transportation, and its great! brnot here is one ad i placed ... New Custom Motor Bicycle ..any input would be appreciated... thanks , David

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Yea like this summer when gas hits $5 bucks a gallon and Mobile , Shell , Sunoco , all turn another 500 billion dollar profit alone ..."Oh yea"... and some how have to pay no federal tax on said profit WHATSOEVER!!!. Hows that for a kick in the ass. How did they ever get away with that ?...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yea like this summer when gas hits $5 bucks a gallon and Mobile , Shell , Sunoco , all turn another 500 billion dollar profit alone ..."Oh yea"... and some how have to pay no federal tax on said profit WHATSOEVER!!!. Hows that for a kick in the ass. How did they ever get away with that ?...

All I can say is that everyone better start thinking about what they will do in a SHTF situation, anyone is a fool to think it isn't coming down the pipe, it could be much sooner than we think. Hope not but things looking pretty sketchy now days....!

Map

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Mine all came from college kids advertising on CL.
Of course all were defunct and a discount offering, otherwise I could not have expressed interest.

Re-post the ad when the WX is nice and sunny and gas goes up even more...
but should you really sell them off????

I can not recall when the last time was that I actually filled the tank on my truck.
and it's just a baby v6 that gets 20mpg on the best of days...

Good luck
rc