need the plastic wheel for idler

GoldenMotor.com

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
my idler roller stripped out. does anyone have one laying around and would want to sell it? the plastic roller is all i need.
jeff

cdoug50

Jun 25, 2008
Maine
Looks like thatsdax.com has it in stock..ball bearing with the mounting stud for 11.99 plus shipping. You might be better off to buy two and get free shipping. I'm pretty sure u could sell the extra one with no problem.
Page Title

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
someone near you or someone you know has a old skateboard laying around or visit your local roller rink for a old wheel. put a stud through the wheel and chuck it in a drill press and use a old screwdriver to lathe the center of the wheel ( to make a channel about 3/8"-1/2" deep.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
the skateboard wheel needs a channel or the chain will fall off , it is also a guide for the rear sprocket ; to keep the chain from climbing the rear sprocket!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the skateboard wheel is lined up with a straight chain run, no groove is needed as the tensioner only acts as a tensioner, not a chain guide.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
O.K so why do they pack that small nylon cracker jack spool in the kits and call it a chain guide or tensioner and it's a channel! with a skateboard wheel , it gives a lot smoother run for the chain without fear of jumping off sprocket! thats what I done and it works for me so thats what really counts!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Whatever works for you or me and we can disagree.

I know that the guys using no tensioner don't seem to have a problem with the chain falling off or climbing the sprocket.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I DID have to cut a small groove into the wheel...then I realized the "skin" or "tire" on the wheel came off, leaving a nice flat surface instead of the rounded worn wheel.

Still, yes, it's best to cut a little groove in your roller.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I decided to go with the $5 one from Boy Go Fast. Quality appears to be top notch, I was going to buy from Dax, but it was going to be $20 with shipping. Dax did have the bolt and the nut, but I got that taken care of at the hardware store for .80 cents.

huffy

Jul 19, 2008
LF, your pixs are a little cryptic.

Is the little wheel from a derailleur, do you use spacers to allow it to roll?

Nice idea, BTW.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Off a dreailier. First pic shows what attaches to the sprocket and those you toss. Then the hole that remains fits that bolt in the second pic perfectly. It just rolls on the bolt so make sure you get that bolt that has that smooth neck. You can use dry graphite or just chain lube for lubrication. Hit it when you lube your chain. I used both
Both of mine has since broken in half.(I blame the alignment. Those sprockets give you little room for error) I haven't experimented much more afterwards. I'm currently using Dax's roller.
I think if you find a derailier that has metal sprockets it would last. And if you find a sprocket with more teeth it would spin less therefore it should last too.
I loved this mod because the chain rolled SMOOTH. The sprocket touches the rollers only and not the chain body so none of that "bump bump bump" you find in regular rollers. And yes,this sprocket although made for a derailier chain works for the BMX and the China chain like it was meant to be.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I went to the factory the other day and the service person was replacing the idler on one of the robot welder arms .He said he did twice a year,it is made of a white nylon block.I got a section of it which is 3 by 3 x12 foot long.If it works ok i will chop it up into 3x3 and give it to anyone who wants it.HARLEYS DAD