EZM information on the Q-Matic

GoldenMotor.com
Just a few quick comments on the production Q-Matic drive system.

The heart of the Q-Matic drive is the MaxTorque automatic clutch.

The MaxTorque clutch is custom engineered to work inside the Q-Matic drive. Unlike other drive sytems, the MaxTorque clutch is supported by very large hi-speed bearings on BOTH ends, not just one side or center support.

The MaxTorque clutch is of course AMERICAN made and a similar version has connected the motor power to the wheels of go-carts across America for almost 40 years. If it can withstand the brutal go-cart rental market it can certainly work on modern day motorbikes.

The MaxTorque clutch supplied to EZM is a special version [costs more] and is not the same unit often advertized on several internet sites.

The Q-Matic drive can be custom tuned for low end torque, or more top end, and the EZM version of the MaxTorque clutch can also be tuned for various idle & top end RPMs.

The Q-Matic will work on low idle & low RPM motors [HF, B&S, Honda, etc]as well as High idle & high RPM motors [HS 142 & Honda GHX].

The Q-Matic can be ordered with custom ratios.

The Q-Matic isn't a CVT drive, or a multispeed system.

The Q-Matic is very light, considering the very heavy duty MaxTorque clutch, and weighs approx. 6.5 pounds. The Q-Matic is only slightly wider than 2" [2 1/16"], and can be slimed to under 2" by altering the belt cover.

The Q-Matic has 4 hi-speed bearings, 2 to support the clutch system and 2 in the idler tension system.

The Q-Matic uses special light weight aluminum alloy [expensive] and will not crack, distort, flex, or tarnish.

The primary is belt driven, and will soon use a custom version, however "off the shelve" belts will work. The secondary is chain, but can be converted to rear belt drive if needed [requires special machine shop modifications].

The clutch isn't mounted on the motor crankshaft, and therefore it doesn't slow down the motors ability to rev as quickly.

The Q-Matic has thousands and thousands of actual test miles logged prior to release.

The Q-Matic belt guard covers all the moving parts in the primary to protect riders & riders clothing [no pants leg connected to spinning parts].

We ship Q-Matics daily across America & Canada. Q-Matic are available via Authorized dealers.

Hope this information is helpful,

Hi Mike,

I know you just started on the build, but do you have time to take a few pictures along the way. I for one would love to see the before and after pictures.

Is this the build with the vintage Schwinn frame or a different one?

Have fun,

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Quenton -

The secondary drive belt.... I like this idea. Your concept sounds like it requires mating a V-belt pulley to the commonly-available through-the-spokes mount by drilling the mounting holes and cutting out the center...) I know Gates V-belts can be obtained in really long lengths. I would like someday to extend my rear wheel backward by 12 inches or so. So my desired final length would be (length of standard 415 chain plus 24 inches). I could modify my own pulley from a retailer, but if someone with a machine shop can modify a pulley for me, I'd rather purchase a prepared pulley. I may work on this during the next few months.....

MikeJ

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
HI Mike, well the rear sheave is an easy deal if you use the Whizzer unit, either the WhizzerUSA part, or the Vintage design, whether new or used. Long belts are indeed availbe, this bike uses a very long belt, and a WhizzerUSA sheave.

Mike

Attachments

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi MotorBikeMike -

I went to the Whizzer site. The Whizzer sheave assembly may be an option. Quick calculations tell me to expect to spend about $90 to get an assembly to my door. I may go that route rather than do an original reverse-engineering of a tractor implement store pulley. (A bad drilling or cutting mistake will wipe out any hoped-for cost savings.)

The Whizzer site does not give the diameter of the sheave. Can you provide? I am guessing it is about 14 inches. The sheave diameter will give me an idea what diameter pulley to use on the drive output shaft for my purposes.

Thanks,
MikeJ

Hi MikeJ,

The Whizzer sheave is 15". The sheave from Whizzer USA is made to fit 105 spokes and is difficult to affix to smaller or larger spokes. The vintage version of the sheave has small thick washer & screws and will fit different spoke sizes. The vintage can be purchased from Memory Lane Classics in Ohio and the cost is about the same with the needed hardware. I think Memory Lane has them in stainless steel or plated [less money].

Have fun,

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Several have converted the Q-Matic to rear belt drive. Max Torque has made a special clutch for the Q-Matic with rear belt drive. The rear belt drive clutch is approx. $65.00 to $70.00 more than the stock Q-Matic drive. The rear sheeve and AX belt will cost approx. $120.00. Plan on spending about $200.00 more for the rear belt drive system.

Have fun,

Dbogue

Mar 7, 2012
Escondido
I realize that I'm wayyyy late to this thread but.... Is the qmatic drive basically just a better version of the gearboxes that come stock? It's got a great clutch I see, and a quieter, smoother belt primary, but it seems that the concept is the same as a hoot or 4g. If my hoot runs great, pulls me from a dead stop, and scoots around 30; what would the benefit be of upgrading? I've been looking at cvt's (which would require more horsepower to operate) and the sbp shift kit - they inherently bring an advantage over the stock gearboxes using multi gear type systems. Could I get better low and top-end from the qmatic? If so, how?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello Duboge, I am happy to answer this question for you.

Horsepower can be lost in many ways, I will talk about lost HP, not gaining hp. A function of physics that most people do not take into account is Flywheel action, and the effects of centrifugal force.

The Q-Matic moves a 6 shoe, Heavy-Duty C-Clutch to the rear of the Primary Drive. We now spin the heavy clutch at around 1/3 speed of the crank, thus reducing the HP loss at the crank, by the amount not spun (AND engaging at RPM just above idle), AND simultaneously reducing weight, and centrifugal motion.

There are several other HP saving gains in the Q-M including smooth belt friction and a nice tuned clutch, that begins to engage at the correct RPM.

IF you reduce loss, you will perform well at low speed, and will also gain top speed based on the HP developed by your engine.

Living in Escondido, you are close to Scotto, and some others who you can meet and ride with.

Have fun,
Mike

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I would probably go with the qmatic myself, except for the clutch not being on the crankshaft, and having to adjust the system for different rpm's. I know its a high quality product. The transmission I am going with when I install my predator also uses a maxtorque clutch, and its directly on the shaft. it will engage around 2200 rpm, leaving plenty of lower rpm for idle, with no adjustment required to get the idle where I want it. the transmission will also give me a final ratio of 11.41:1 when I install a 56t sprocket, which another member has told me is a good balance between speed and torque for the predator. at 5000 rpm, this will give me a speed of 33mph.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
how does that pertain to this thread ???
as the heading says, this is info on a particular drivetrain, from the manufacturer ???
btw,,,my predator runs quite nicely with the Q-Matic (>1100 miles ;))

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi motor_bike_fanatic, I hope it all works out well for you. Predator is not easily available here in CA, but, thanks to a friend I have one! My Predator is scheduled for a Q-Matic, adjustable front pulley, AX belt, 56th in the rear, sadly, it should make more than the 30 mph legal here in CA.

I have also an interesting project in the works, that will be a Belt-drive rear, adjustable front pulley, 1/2 inch belt (AX style), and a WONDERFUL 2hp Briggs and Stratton upright flathead probably from a Lawn edger.

I'm not sure what you mean about having to "adjust the system", as we have the ratios figured out already.

BTW, Bill, HI!!!! And, I dunno how this pertains, but am happy to try to lend a hand.

Have Fun

Mike

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
other people were sharing their thoughts, so i thought i would share mine. as far as tuning the system, quenton said the drive can be tune for higher rpms or lower rpms. he also said that the clutch not being on the shaft means that the clutch does not lower the engines revving as quickly. having a tranny with the clutch on the shaft, i know exactly when my clutch is gonna lock up and when its gonna release, and as soon as the clutch stops spinning, the engine is idling. this may suit some people's needs better. the qmatic is still a high quality product that fits more than one engine and suits a lot of people's needs very well. I just prefer the clutch be on the shaft, so when i let off the throttle, the engine isnt still turning the wheel. probably makes it easier to brake. i am used to letting off the throttle and braking. of course with an ht engine, i am pulling in the clutch lever between dropping the throttle and braking, but thats a simple matter of coordination.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi motor_bike_fanatic, Well, as I read my post, then your reply, I realize that I have neglected to tell you a few things about how my Q-Matic, the #2 prototype works, from a riding standpoint.

My 1962 Schwinn Tornado middleweight has it's clutch in full lock at about 18 mph. With my weight (Over 300) the bikes's acceleration peaks at about 6450 rpm, netting me about 32 mph on level ground.

Upon deceleration, the clutch stays locked untill 18-19 mph, then automatically drops into a natural freewheel (a special bushing, NOT a mechanical part that might break). I have good "engine feel" locking the compression of the engine to the rear wheel, from 18 mph up. AND down. The well-built clutch has the freewheel bushing built-in, for many trouble-free miles.

I like engine braking, as most bicycles are a bit short on braking for my taste.

I have always preferred a manual clutch, and a positive lock, but I doubt I'll ever go back to my Silent Power (yes I still have a couple) now that I have the freedom of the automatic.

Mike

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
with the transmission I am looking at and a 56t rear, my final drive will be 11.41:1. my clutch will engage at 19mph, and I will hit 33mph at 5000 rpm. From an economical standpoint, I might consider buying a used transmission if it will produce similar results as the transmission I am looking at. Im gonna send you a pm.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi motor_bike_fanatic, you are not able to receive my PM. The Silent Power's I have are MANUAL clutch, I do not know of any used Q-Matics for sale.

Mike