Breaking in a 4 stroke Huasheng

GoldenMotor.com

Kustomized Hypnosis

Mar 17, 2016
Boulder, CO
I'm gathering parts for a build that I'll probably finish in July. I've got a 142 Huasheng 4 stroke, with an air filter from Sick Bike Parts, and I'm ordering a better exhaust than what came with the engine kit. I'll be putting it on a Helmutt Excelsior Frame Kit which I'm saving up for.

If it's possible, I'd like to break the engine in by running it, throttling up, changing the oil, "putting some miles" on it, tuning it and troubleshooting it now, even before I have the frame. It wouldn't be hauling any weight, and there would be no resistance, so it would be performing in slightly different conditions, but I would have the break-in period all done with when I do mount it on the frame.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Would this be recommended? Would there be any drawbacks to doing it this way? Are there any precautions I should take if I decide to break it in before mounting it?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You are over thinking break in on a 142 Huasheng 4 stroke.

The engine is a Honda clone and really doesn't need to be broken in
as it is built to good tolerances.

Just drive it once it is installed. Vary rpms and don't hold it wide open
for extended periods right away.
Changing oil more than specified is really not needed.

You want load on the rings as no resistance or load may glaze the bore.

Ever hear recommendations for "breaking in" automobiles these days?

Kustomized Hypnosis

Mar 17, 2016
Boulder, CO
Good point MotorBicycleRacing. I figured I might have been overthinking it, if it's built to mount and ride, great! That's what I want to do! Of course, I am looking forward to fine tuning it for best performance as well. I want to "have all my ducks in a row" for when I get the frame and all the parts for the best possible maiden voyage. Thanks for the warning about glazing the bore and the reassurance!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I've never done anything with my four strokes except first running standard oil then after first oil change switching to synthetic. Done this on all my motors including HS and Harbor freight . Ride it hard. !

mrbnlb

Feb 25, 2015
Long Beach, CA
I'm looking at prices on 4 strokes to replace a 2 stroke on a nirve cruiser, I've been looking on dax and Helios. I figure I don't need the whole kit, any suggestions would be appreciated

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've never done anything with my four strokes except first running standard oil then after first oil change switching to synthetic. Done this on all my motors including HS and Harbor freight . Ride it hard. !
Me either, and I've built a bunch of them.
We test ride them for a couple hours, change the oil, and ready to rock.

I'll be putting it on a Helmutt Excelsior Frame Kit which I'm saving up for.
That may not be enough engine for Dick's frames.
They are darn big heavy frames.
I've known Dick since high school and he swings my shop now and again so I have rode one.
I'll ask him.

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
I recently built my 142 Huasheng 4 stroke and having issues with power seems it starts and runs but when I go to give it more gas it just seems not to want to go, I drove it to work today only going about 10-15 mph let's just say my commute was rather long today. I got to the store to get a soda after 1/2 hour of riding and it wouldn't start back up. Puzzled, flustered and well ya..... $@#$%@# haha! Also the back wheel seems to spin when I do start it.......... scratching my head.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You must have the long shaft 142 with the clutch bell on a brass bushing on the engine shaft?
What transfer case?
Pics of how you hooked up your throttle will help, its little tricky to get full open if you don't have enough pull throttle to pull it.

Shady760

Apr 18, 2016
San Diego CA
I found a local mechanic that had a 29er motorized bike he charged me $65 bucks and seems to be running fine, minus a little spitting from the exhaust when decelarating, and a little shaky on take off, but once going smooths out.