carb falls off

GoldenMotor.com

jaws

Oct 11, 2015
florida
I have tried two carbs ( stock nt and cns) and three different intakes and none of them fit the way I think they should. All are loose and have tried gaskets, tape. Only a short ride and the carb ends up hanging by the fuel line. please help.:-||

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
When you screw down the carb it should be tight enough to where there's a good resistance to twisting the carb on the intake, not too tight tho or you could crack the clamp part of the carb. If the screw is backing out you could try a drop of purple locktite or the lightest holding locktite to prevent the screw from working loose. If you can't get the purple locktite, coat the screw with a light coat of rtv, screw it down so the carb is nice and snug on the intake, then cover the screw with a light coat of rtv, don't ride or start the engine until it's cured. Clear rtv will work and also be the easiest to clean off if you need to remove the carb later. You can also clean the intake and put a light coat of the clear rtv over the area the carb slides over to help seal off any potential vacuum leaks. Ultra grey works best here, but the clear will do.

The carb shouldn't be falling off that easy so check your intake closely to make sure it's not cracked, and how is your engine as far as vibration goes? If it has a bad vibration it can work screws, nuts, and bolts loose and could very well be what's causing your problems...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have tried two carbs ( stock nt and cns) and three different intakes and none of them fit the way I think they should.
stick with the NT and a standard intake and adjust your thinking about how it should fit - the NT is simple and never falls off unless it wasn't all the way on and tight in the first place

look around all the many years of posts here and you'll see this question never comes up for other folks

jaws

Oct 11, 2015
florida
Thank you both. I started with NT and stock intake and it fell off, that's why I tried others. I will go back to original set up and try some RTV. Bike really does not vibrate too bad so I hope this works cause I love to ride, Hate to pedal.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you don't want to use rtv or anything else there, just intake & carb - all that is needed is to be sure carb is all the way on so you can hear intake smack against lip inside carb

another way is to stick something into carb against that lip & measure how deep it is, then make a scratch on intake so you can see if carb hits the scratch mark so you know it is all the way on

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
on occasion, I've seen folks somehow get the clamp ring turned a bit such that the locating boss that should fit in the hole in the clamp is out of place - this makes the mouth of the carb a bit out of round & causes difficulty getting a good fit - loosen clamp, reposition boss & hole, and try again