Help with exhaust.

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
It could be something else not to sure. Im breaking in this new engine and im noticing that the muffler is spitting out black oil. Is this normal and it is smoking quit a bit.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
If you are using the 'recommend' oil ratio of 16:1, you are using too much oil for these engines. Many people suggest to use a 24:1 ratio for the first couple of tanks. I used 32:1, now run it at 50:1 using Echo oil mix.

The carb may also be set just a little too rich.

Best of luck on whichever ratio you decide to use!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're assuming that the black gooey stuff is coming from the outlet of the muffler and not around the flange where it attaches to the cylinder. The kit exhaust gaskets aren't the best and the flange on the pipe is usually warped from the welding process and needs to be lapped flat so it meets the mating surface of the cylinder.

Either way Xseler's advice is correct. All kit instructions will tell you to run a 16:1 fuel/oil mix. That is too much oil and will result in the problem you've described as well as foulded spark plugs and clogged exhaust systems and overall poor performance.

Tom

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
We're assuming that the black gooey stuff is coming from the outlet of the muffler and not around the flange where it attaches to the cylinder. The kit exhaust gaskets aren't the best and the flange on the pipe is usually warped from the welding process and needs to be lapped flat so it meets the mating surface of the cylinder.

Either way Xseler's advice is correct. All kit instructions will tell you to run a 16:1 fuel/oil mix. That is too much oil and will result in the problem you've described as well as foulded spark plugs and clogged exhaust systems and overall poor performance.

Tom
Yeah its only coming out of the tail end of the exhaust. my mix i used was 20:1 6.4 ounces per gallon

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many of us would still say you're a little oil heavy even at 20:1. You can safely reduce that to 24 or even 32:1.

You also need to consider that this is a new engine that is far from being broken-in. The piston rings haven't seated yet and you're going to experience some blow-by around them and the cylinder walls until you get some miles on the engine. We typically recommend 200 to 300 miles before we consider an engine to be broken in.

Break in procedures are as varied as the members here so don't ask what is the best way. It only starts arguments. Type 'break in procedures' into the search box and you'll have lots to read on the subject. You'll need to decide what works best for you.

I will ask what oil you're using. This too can be an inflammatory subject but it is something we'd like to know. Some oils work better than others but again, there are many opinions on this issue and some oils that you really shouldn't use. Outboard motor oil and regular 30w motor oil are two of them.

Tom

Last edited:

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
Many of us would still say you're a little oil heavy even at 20:1. You can safely reduce that to 24 or even 32:1.

You also need to consider that this is a new engine that is far from being broken-in. The piston rings haven't seated yet and you're going to experience some blow-by around them and the cylinder walls until you get some miles on the engine. We typically recommend 200 to 300 miles before we consider an engine to be broken in.

Break in procedures are as varied as the members here so don't ask what is the best way. It only starts arguments. Type 'break in procedures' into the search box and you'll have lots to read on the subject. You'll need to decide what works best for you.

I will ask what oil you're using. This too can be an inflammatory subject but it is something we'd like to know. Some oils work better than others but again, there are many opinions on this issue.

Tom

Well probably a bad idea on my part i got non-synthetic Briggs & Stratton oil Multi ratio blend ashless.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's probably okay.
Does the container say what ratio they recommend? Do they offer high and low mix ratios? EX: 20:1 - 50:1? Some oils will tell you to follow the engine manufacture's recommendations and some have their own.

Tom

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
That's probably okay.
Does the container say what ratio they recommend? Do they offer high and low mix ratios? EX: 20:1 - 50:1? Some oils will tell you to follow the engine manufacture's recommendations and some have their own.

Tom
Nah just says multi ration i leaned the oil ratio out. Not spitting oil out yet. so far so good