What is the HP of ThatsDax engines?

GoldenMotor.com

inkybait

Jan 11, 2015
California
Does anyone know the actual hp of the F50 and F80 engines? The KTMC 49CC is 9 hp, but i don't know how accurate that is.

BikeBerry claims that its cheapest 66/80 cc engine is 5-6 hp. But that seems kind of high considering it is 7/25th the cost yet 2/3rds the hp of the KTMC.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Dax may be able to answer this question himself, but I am not sure about how accurate an estimate you can get.

A lot of what will determine the power of one of these engines are the details of the build, such as any porting or port matching that may have been done, as well as what sort of intake and exhaust are installed.

you have mentioned that you are building a compressor in another thread, assuming that you are still working on that project might I suggest directly contacting an engine builder (like Dax, who you've mentioned or any other person who builds and sells these motors) and asking them about getting a motor set up for this purpose. Ideally you would want a motor built to be producing a lot of power but running at a lower RPM compared to most motorized bicycles. chained or belted to your compressor with the right gearing.
you might encounter cooling issues with the motor stationary, and noise issues depending on your exhaust system.

as awesome as what I think you are trying to do here is, I would be doing you a disservice if I did not point out this which is a tiny honda four-stroke used for things like what you are doing. I've seen a few using a quick google search going for $200-$250 new.

whatever you end up going with, good luck with your endeavors!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'd recon if your getting 2HP out of a stocker, your doing well.
No reason with the right mods not to be getting double that or more.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I can't think of a worse choice for a stationary engine than a China Girl.

It has no starting system, no cooling system.

If you are truly fixated on building a small 2 stroke powered compressor, start with the engine from a Harbor Freight generator. They make about 2 horsepower, have a cooling system & pull start.

You can buy one, take it home & start it right out of the box. Break it in with 300 to 500 watts of load - then tinker with it. Around 100 bucks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just curious Inky, but you've posted five questions, all asking for information on the 2 stroke engine and have not responded to any of the replys you've recieved. You've indicated that you do not plan to mount the engine on a bike but are exploring building an air compressor. We have explained the problem of cooling in a couple of your other threads but you haven't responded in those.

Do you have any plans to build a motorized bicycle?

Tom

inkybait

Jan 11, 2015
California
Just curious Inky, but you've posted five questions, all asking for information on the 2 stroke engine and have not responded to any of the replys you've recieved. You've indicated that you do not plan to mount the engine on a bike but are exploring building an air compressor. We have explained the problem of cooling in a couple of your other threads but you haven't responded in those.

Do you have any plans to build a motorized bicycle?

Tom
Sorry. I have been busy lately and have been struggling to work in the time to actually do research. I thought i did reply to GoreWound's post, but i guess i forgot to send it or something. I mistyped when i made that post about a compressor. I actually want to use this to drive a hydraulic pump at around 2000psi. In order to run this pump i am going to need as much hp as i can get. I also need this to be as physically compact as possible. i am planning on having a cooling fan on the engine.

I am going to make a prototype using pneumatics. but i already have a electric motor to do that. this will last me for a while. until i upgrade to hydraulic in a couple months.

inkybait

Jan 11, 2015
California
Dax may be able to answer this question himself, but I am not sure about how accurate an estimate you can get.

A lot of what will determine the power of one of these engines are the details of the build, such as any porting or port matching that may have been done, as well as what sort of intake and exhaust are installed.

you have mentioned that you are building a compressor in another thread, assuming that you are still working on that project might I suggest directly contacting an engine builder (like Dax, who you've mentioned or any other person who builds and sells these motors) and asking them about getting a motor set up for this purpose. Ideally you would want a motor built to be producing a lot of power but running at a lower RPM compared to most motorized bicycles. chained or belted to your compressor with the right gearing.
you might encounter cooling issues with the motor stationary, and noise issues depending on your exhaust system.

as awesome as what I think you are trying to do here is, I would be doing you a disservice if I did not point out this which is a tiny honda four-stroke used for things like what you are doing. I've seen a few using a quick google search going for $200-$250 new.

I did call Dax regarding the F50 and F80 engines. He seemed to think they were around 2-3 hp, but he wasn't sure. Both engines have around the same hp, he said, just the F80 has more torque. I will call him again and ask how confident he is in that the KTMC engine is 9hp.

How much hp can a good banana exhaust add to an engine? Even if you don't no exactly what hp, do you know how much more powerful it felt.

I am actually going to use this to power a hydraulic system. I need as much hp as i can get. I also want it to be ask compact as possible. 4 stroke engines don't have the characteristics i desire. i am planning on running a fan over the cooling head.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
by the sounds of things what you are looking for is a dirtbike motor.
I suppose that the KTM engine you've mentioned is that, but honestly you can probably find a more powerful motor than that if you take it out of a dirtbike.

because you are building a stationary device you shouldn't worry about getting a motor that fits inside a bike frame, removing that limitation will open up higher cc motors with more power.

you should look around for a used or broken dirtbike with a good engine in it, you will spend more money doing that but the thing will come with a lot of parts you would need to acquire separately if you bought just a motor new. dirbike motors are usually single cylinder two-strokes just like these bicycle motors but are also likely to come with cooling systems, starters, and alternator/ battery, and an exhaust. they also come in much higher displacements.

also if you are taking a dirtbike apart to get your motor you will be able to get a more accurate estimate of how much horsepower that motor is supposed to make from the manufacturer of the bike.

as far as tuned exhausts go you will probably get some pretty different answers about that, usually a tuned exhaust will only really be making your motor run better in terms of efficiency, but that said actual horsepower gains are not uncommon. For what it's worth a dirtbike will usually be sold with a well tuned exhaust from the factory, which at least eliminates some of the guesswork.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Water cooled KTM motor sounds to me what your after? It will give you at least 9HP.
However, a Chinese KTM clone?, May not live up to expectations? I have no experience with them.
Just been warned against, I'm sure like anything else cloned from China, your best to strip it down first.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
It will require the correct pipe to get your 9/10 HP.
It will be loud!
I hate the sound of them little KTM's, My neighbor's Kid has one.

inkybait

Jan 11, 2015
California

I found out why that my reply never got thorugh. I didn't hit the post button haha. It was still open on my other laptop. Here is the original reply i sent you:

Yeah, i am planning on putting a fan right next to the head of the engine. The problem with these 4 stroke engines is that they don't have very high hp. The on you mentioned only has 1 hp and the highest dax has is 3 hp. Also, i need this engine to be as compact as possible. Dax's KTMC seems to be the most powerful engine for it weight and size that i could find on the internet.

inkybait

Jan 11, 2015
California
Water cooled KTM motor sounds to me what your after? It will give you at least 9HP.
However, a Chinese KTM clone?, May not live up to expectations? I have no experience with them.
Just been warned against, I'm sure like anything else cloned from China, your best to strip it down first.
I really don't want to deal with water cooling. Also, the cheapest legit KTM engine i could find was $1000. I will go electric before i spend that much. Also, the smallest ones i could find are still too big for my application. This NEEDS to be small. Dax said he makes sure to get the KTM clones from a supplier he trusts and has experiences. All i need to know is whether the KTM truly is 9 hp.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I use to have an old electric over hydraulic car hoist. But did not have Mains electrical supply. I thought about driving the hydraulic pump with an IC motor, but then 'scored' a 10 000 lb Warn winch on a $200 Landrover. With a doubling recovery block and a little welding, I had a Solar Powered 12V car hoist capable of lifting my Toyota Landcruiser.
This may have no impact on your project, but sometimes done right, electric can be much better.