Stick welder

GoldenMotor.com

brian15

Jul 3, 2014
san jose ca
Hey Everyone,
I need some advice I have been looking into buying a stick welder to do some mods, i was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on any good brands. Something not to expensive i am on a budget. Any suggestions would be great!
Thank you

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Not pushing any brand but what you need to consider is duty cycle, each welder should have the information listed. A 20 present duty cycle means you can weld for two minute out of ten. Then the welder needs to cool for eight. Most of the time this shouldn't be a problem with a stick welder because you can usually burn a rod in less than a minute, if you are welding something like steel plates that require long welds it could overheat. Harbour freight has low end starter welders, $200 and under.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First I'd ask what your experience level is. Have you used a stick welder before? Have you ever had any experience with a MIG, wire feed, machine?
If you're an experienced stick welder then you'll know the limitations using one for thin material. They require a lot of practice for small/thin stuff like found on a bicycle.

MIG, or metal inert gas, welders will cost about the same as a stick (arc) machine and be much easier to master.

Whatever, most experienced welders will tell you to steer clear of the cheap, big box, discount store welders. They might perform fine for you but if they ever need repairs or parts you'll wish you had gone for a quality unit like, Miller, Hobart or Lincoln.
Just one man's opinion. You'll get others on this subject.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom is right about name brand welders, but you mentioned budget so that's why I said to look at harbour freight. Unless you have a specific need for a stick welder look at mig units that have the cover gas option, you could start with flux core wire and add argon/co2 later if you wanted to. Of the two types mig with cover gas beats flux core wire for easy of use.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have been a welder for over 30 years and I have the pos $99 Harbor Freight stick welder.
I bought it for one reason only. Cheap. The only things I need to buy to use it are electricity and rods.
A MIG is the easiest to use, but requires bottles, tips, wire, and rollers. It is therefore more costly to use, especially the gas which can only be bought at a welding supply.
The fluxcore MIG is the cheaper version but is messier and leaves a nasty looking weld even when working correctly, but only requires tips , rollers, and wire to run.
A TIG is the best quality, most versatile welder. You can do almost any metal joining with the right process using a TIG. But it requires the most skill to use properly and has the most expensive consumables.TIG is, hands down, the preferred style for top quality beautiful welds.
So it all boils down to two things...
How much you can spend,
and how much you are willing to practice.
Need it only in case? Buy the cheap HF stick or fluxcore mig.
Looking to build beautiful, stunning, world class art stuff and get creative? Buy a good TIG.
Somewhere in between? Buy as good a brand (Miller, Lincold, ESAB) MIG as you can (or want to) afford..