No idle adjust ???

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys been having a **** of a time trying to diagnose a problem with my china girl

I've followed all the steps in my previous thread being

Cleaned all fuel filters
Changed CDI lead for better one
Flushed tank
Checked for spark ( she does fire up but .....)
Flushed the 16:1 mix and opted for 32:1
Checked for air leaks ,none detected

Now the issue is she won't idol and it's very difficult to get her up to speed compared to before the issue started
The idol adjust screw needs to be full in order for her to idol at all meaning it basically has no effect whatsoever

I've noticed she doesn't have the flow of fuel she had before the problem started meaning the inline fuel filter won't fill up even when both taps are open ,
I do have another carby I'm just about to fit and see if this resolves the issue but it's driving me nuts ATM

Any help as to what could be the problem would be greatly appreciated :-||

Regards Henshooter

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Re: No idol adjust ???

Check the main jet. They have been known to unscrew from vibration which will flood the engine and make it a pig.
Also clean the needle and seat.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au

Woot woot problem solvered

Many thanks to all who aided me in this repair
LESSON LEARNT HERE >>> DONT TRUST THE MOTOR BUILDERS !!!!
Yes yes I could have just fitted the new carby Theon was so kind to send me (which I did to test the motor )but my thrifty nature said I must fix not replace

I started by checking the seals ,all intact and no pressure leaks

It took me a week to diagnose the problem and I believe it was a multitude of issues so ill name them in series just incase this happens to other members in the future

1: when the kit was given to me it was pre fitted with the acc cable , didn't bother to check it and upon doing so the small split pin washer was sitting above the c washer and was relying on gravity to hold it down after throttle down ( god knows how it lasted a month like that as well the c clip was sitting one from the bottom notch ( adjusted accordingly)

2: upon taking the carby apart the floats brass tang pin was off one side so it wasn't shutting the fuel down correctly and was overfilling the bowl ( slipped the pin back in and the level and flow are much improved)

3: the jet was as loose as a mother goose and has since been tightened

4: the tank ohhhh the tank , flushed it and believe it or not a big clump of human hair plopped out ,as if the person who made it cleaned their hairbrush ,as a member said and I strongly agree the china girl tanks come with EVERYTHING except fuel and a flush before it's first run is essential

5: all filters flushed and cleaned apart from the inline ,as you can imagine the tank filter was a mess

6: flushed and cleaned the carby in entirety ,there was black plastic looking pieces all through the bowl and the jet was partially clogged polished the needle and all is clean as a whistle

7: replaced CDI cable with a decent one THEON gave me and fitted 3point spark plug

Still to do a chop test just to be sure she's not running rich or lean but......

She is now back to her old self
And as I run her for the first test something so happened to arrive in the mail ,something I'm very proud to have on my cruiser ,can you spot what it is ???

Again thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction and getting my baby up and running, I haven't done much work on 2 strokes before and thought pulling the carby to bits quite daunting ,couldn't have been more wrong ,I thoroughly enjoyed it

Again many thanks to each and every member for their advice on both my threads

Kindest regards Henshooten aka Sean dance1dance1dance1

Attachments

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut

DUAL!

LOL! Sorry HenShooter, I couldn't help myself. Stupid iPud! Sweet build BTW. Those NT carbs are phenomenal, although be careful with the "Speed"'s banjo-bolt fuel connection. If you move it around too much it'll start leaking on you, and it's a pain trying to get the washers to seal properly after they've been loosened. I had a smaller standard NT laying around and opted to use that after two NT Speeds' washers crapped out on me. Not as much fuel-flow, but I love the MPG!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
By the way, I never heard back from you. I asked you a while back as to where you are in Melbourne. I spent some time there with my (ex) wife. She was a cop somewhere in the city, and her folks live out in the Yarra Valley. There are some great abandoned railway bike paths out there.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

I blame iPads auto correct lol
Any staff can change/correct the title of any thread you've created BTW, jus' give us a private message (link included please) or just "report" the thread with the correction you'd like...

...& I swear we're better at it than Macintosh lol ;)

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Well done Sean,
We'll make a mechanic out of you.
And a warning to all, go right over your Ebay kit, even the carby.
Did you get your exhaust fixed?
And, Is she run in yet?
Bring on the Mods!

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Well done Sean,
We'll make a mechanic out of you.
And a warning to all, go right over your Ebay kit, even the carby.
Did you get your exhaust fixed?
And, Is she run in yet?
Bring on the Mods!
Got exhaust welded today Theon cost me $10 though which I thought was a ripoff considering the cost of a new one and it took the guy all of 20 seconds to do two small tacks
And I'm running 32:1 , she likes this mix very much and the CDI cable makes a massive difference in smoothness .
I reckon I've done roughly 80km so far so a tad more before I break her in ,reckon I'm going to start at 100-150

Mate you wouldn't believe the amount of garbage in the tank and as such the carby as well was full of black plastic flakes .
She idols beautifully now somewhat better than she was before and doesn't miss a beat

I will admit I was a tad daunted at the prospect of ripping the carby to bits but gridded it when pulling apart and had it back together without using the guide
Easier than I'd imagined
Going to take her for a night run but the familiar rumble in the clouds over here is swaying me against it

Next I'm going to change out the jet ,do you reckon it will increase performance ??

Regards Hen .shft.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
you should have a .68 in there already, so .65 isn't a big difference, but it'll probably want to rev a bit higher, just keep an eye on your plug colour, If your not doing big hill climbs, the .68 is usually a bit rich. If you want it to really scream, I use a 'loose' .6 jet.
I have a black lead here for you, will have to send it with the next lot of 'leftovers'.
I've never found much crap in my tanks, but always something on every motor, I recon they must have a fair sense of humor in the Chinese sweat shops, I guess you'd have to.
Either that or they resent us?