"Who Are You" and "Love is Coming Down"

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
This is for all of you Who fans out there.

The track I'm talking about would be second to last on the album "Who Are You". Right before the title track.

Does this song just feel wrong to you too? It's always sounded to me like something that would've been written by some Christopher Cross wannabe who'd never, ever make it big in the business. I'd imagine this guy, even, as saying to himself, "I'm not getting anywhere with this turkey. I might as well go to bed and give up and try to write something new tomorrow."

I also have a picture in my mind of the other members of the band plus the producer saying, "Look, Pete.....are you really sure you want this song on the album?"

I'm certainly a fan of Pete Townshend and his writing. Every here and there in his discography there's songs that I'm not all that fond of. A few that really do rub me the wrong way. That's not surprising. But this song does surprise me. I'd say that it's the worst song of his that I know of. By a long shot.

I wonder if I'm missing something. Could this song, or it's mere inclusion, have some meaning that I've missed?

On a related note; Does "Trick of the Light" sound to you like John Entwistle giving a little 'tip of the hat' to Led Zeppelin? That's the feeling I've always gotten from it. If so, then it was a nice thing to do.

Last edited: