Just saw this.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
In most of the United States there is a policy of checking on any stalled vehicle on the highway when temperatures drop to single digits or below. About 3am one very cold morning, Montana State Trooper Allan Nixon #658 responded to a call there was a car off the shoulder of the road outside Great Falls, Montana.
He located the car, stuck in deep snow and with the engine still running. Pulling in behind the car with his emergency lights on, the trooper walked to the driver’s door to find an older man passed out behind the wheel with a nearly empty vodka bottle on the seat beside him.
The driver came awake when the trooper tapped on the window. Seeing the rotating lights in his rearview mirror, and the state trooper standing next to his car, the man panicked. He jerked the gearshift into drive and hit the gas.
The car’s speedometer was showing 20-30-40 and then 50 MPH, but it was still stuck in the snow, wheels spinning. Trooper Nixon, having a sense of humor, began running in place next to the speeding (but stationary) car. The driver was totally freaked, think the trooper was actually keeping up with him.
This goes on for about 30 seconds, then the trooper yelled. “PULL OVER!” The man nodded, turned his wheel and stopped the engine. Needless to say, the man from North Dakota was arrested and is probably still shaking his head over the state trooper in Montana who could run 50 miles per hour.
Who says troopers don’t have a sense of humor?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Good stuff.

Drunks are a good source of humor 'till they kill people. Then they're not so funny anymore.

Yeah, that guy got off easy. When he revved the motor the cop could have blown his brains out for assault with a deadly weapon.

Throw 'em in jail where they belong. And don't let them ride motorbikes when they get out.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mike B,

Your absolutely right when you say that. Having been on a volunteer fire department I have to help clean up the carnage that they have caused and I've written about it on the forum before.

I simply posted this to show that the cops who have to deal with these types on a constant basis do have a sense of humor when the situation is under control. This Butt Head couldn't go anywhere jammed into a snow bank so it was safe to mess with him.
Imagine him waking up and starting the car and watching the speedometer do 50 and the cop running along beside him the whole time. In his drunken state what was left his brain must have tried to figure out how the cop did it.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,

I agree but unfortunately this guy will probably never stop and if we knew his history it was just another arrest in a line of drunk driver arrests. Where I live one beer (.05) will put you over the limit and instead of having a designated driver, taking a bus or a taxi as expensive as they are people still chance it and pay the price.

Steve.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
BCs limit is .05%?

Man...and I thought .08% is a bit on the thin side.

The last time I did any serious drinking the limit was still .1%. I just don't know how anyone can feel that they dare drink at all and still drive. It's just about impossible to be legal.

Add to it the fact that the consequences are now more severe. I don't think you can get out of your first DUI these days without paying a few thousand bucks at the least.

Obviously they're trying to make it impossible to mix alcohol with car keys. I'm not sure that I disagree, by any means. But it does seem harsh.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bluegoatwoods,

British Columbia is known for the harshest DWI laws in Canada. The province is the auto insurer and we buy plates and insurance form them directly or through private insurance companies. You can even buy insurance on Saturday and Sunday through the private insurers. You also register your new car with them or get a temporary transfer plate to get a vehicle home without waiting until Monday.

A DWI in Canada is a criminal offense like robbing a bank. Many Americans find themselves turned back at the Canadian border because of it. Your a criminal in their eyes. Other provinces may not give you a drivers license if you move there even with a Canadian pardon. After 3 DWI's in 5 years you will most likely lose you drivers license for life and the costs can be around $4.000+ each time.

You are also open to charges from the Canadian federal laws regarding DWI charges.

Found this on an e bike site of all places but it will give you an idea of the drunk driving laws here.

Steve.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...tgdfcm3-5G3_Bqw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cGU&cad=rja