Just had a major heart attack and all I can think about is getting on my bike!

GoldenMotor.com

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Well guys I just got to take a cool ride in a neat jet only problem it was flying me to the ICU unit. Ive just had a major heart attack. Looks like I was a few sec from riding the big bike in the sky!! Total clog. Installed stent. Now I have to take a pile of pills everyday some twice. (no biggie). They say I have to take it easy from now on. (oh ya like that's going to work lol) Funny thing is now that Iam back home all I can think about is getting my new set of wheels built with the 12 gauge spokes, double wall rims and riding my bike. Funny how these bikes of ours gets into our blood. Got to go pick up my new spokes and find a ride to my wheel guy. Peace.shft.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Follow the Doctors orders Oldtimer! I had a heart episode and the Doc told me to get more exercise so I put an engine on a bicycle. It actually did get me more exercise, I have had to push that thing home a few times.

Reactions: tommygunn1488

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sorry to hear that your ol' oil pump malfunctioned. That's precious fluid that it moves through you.
Take heed to the doc's words, and use the engine a little more, pedals less.
I am glad to hear that you are still with us and doing well!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Glad you survived the flight. I'd have to go with listening to the doctors. This is you first heart attack and they have to work through them every day.
Super glad you made it.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd listen to the docs and then go from there, not necessarily following exactly what they say since they don't know all and probably are not fooling around with attaching motors to bicycles.

I'm a lightning survivor and was required by my insurer at the time (some years back) to see a neurologist. There was no treatment for the aftermath nerve damage and eventual Guillane Barre Syndrome (like polio), but was advised to take it easy, avoid strong exercise and was prescribed medications (pills) for feeling down about loss of a job, a marriage falling apart, being pretty much crippled. So his answer was to sit down and take some pills to make me more or less a vegetable.

No thanks. I believe we are in the end our own best doctors. Sometimes we hire an expert for specialized advice, but in the end our healing is our own path to walk as we see fit. I wanted to live by myself in the woods so that's what I did. It meant hauling water pumped from a well, cutting and splitting my firewood, living in an old trailer in northern Minnesota where it is below zero a good bit of the time in the winter. That said, I tried to be moderate in what I did, knowing I'm getting up in years, but also knowing that we all die... it is a matter of when where and how. I wanted to go out on my own terms. Did a big giveaway, said some goodbyes and went about my life. Got a great little dog who has been a real friend and kept up my human friendships as well. Divorced my thrid X on good terms. Practiced walking until I got pretty good at it to the point of no cane, no walking stick except on icy ground. Tried riding a bike, but had no real leg power, but my balance was good so I looked into some kind of motor I could put on a bike... remembering ads I had seen in magazines as a kid (Bumbelbee, Whizzer, etc.)

Got a motor, started tinkering. Got another motor. It helped pass time through a long winter. Got a China girl and then another one. Found this forum and made a lot of friends while learning all kinds of stuff.

The years have gone by and someday I'll have to do another give away of motorbikes this time. I'm still walking and swimming, putting up my firewood and riding motorbikes. Never did get that prescription filled for pills from the doctor. And I'm glad I didn't. Glad I stopped feeling sorry for myself and got off my ass trying to walk or I think I'd have ended up in a wheelchair. Glad I listened to myself and trusted in messages from Spirit.

Glad to hear you made it past the shadow of death... not time yet. Plenty of time yet for living, enjoying your life on your terms. Be sensible, but so long as you're alive you might as well be living a life if you follow my meaning. We're not done yet, Bud! Woohoo!
SB

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Thanks for the good advice and vibes. I also live alone deep in the woods at 9000+ feet. Here in the winter it often gets to below -30 deg. I have to chop wood and haul my drinking water. Around 1900 - 1910 my grand father owned a Indian motorized bike and filled my mind with his adventures riding his bike from Oklahoma to Mount Shasta in northern California where he built himself a cabin. I was hooked before I could ride a bike and have been playing with engines before I could ride. So like I said motorized bikes are in in my blood (along with lots of grease and gas from working on bikes with open riding wounds lol) its a family thing. As for there drugs I use herbs for most of what the drugs are for, something else my Grand Father thought me. (its an Native thing) This is why I got into building my own Indians as I could never afford to buy a real one. What else could I do to follow my Dream but build my own. Luckily I found this site. This is why I named my big 200cc bike the Indian Chief my 98cc with the jack shaft the Indian Scout and my little cruiser the Pocahontas. I remember and Honor my Grand Father and Family with these names. Yatahay
PS I always thought his story would have made a GREAT movie but it still makes for GREAT stories around the camp fire. Peace

Last edited:

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I'm an old timer myself. Just be patient and follow your doctors advice IMHO. You will be riding before you know it IMHO and be healthier. Wish you the best.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
im not an old timer,but back in october i was suffering from what i thought was food poisoning.maybe it was.thought i was gonna die.with othother things going on including a torn ligament in my arm,i probably didnt know.

just a month ago i finally got my test results,with the cholesterol so high,i wasnt suprised.i had a minor heart attack.

kinda knocked me for a loop.was scared to do anything without checking with my DR first.

so far lost 15 lbs and dropped cholesterol from 9.5 to 4.3.
no junk food,no soft drinks.

i missed my bike too.
now a pinched nerve and hardly walking.

oh,yes i just turned 49.
kid brother is in worse shape,42 and had 3 stents in march.

cardiac disease isnt just for the older crowd anymore.

quality food,rest and exercise.
get well and take care of yourself.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Got the rims spokes and hubs to my wheel guy. I hope to have them done in a few days. If I can get a few good nights sleep I think Ill be ready to ride. The Doc said I had to wait a week before I could lift more then 10lb. A few days from today will make one week so it will be time to ride.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I suspect you well know there are different kinds of healing, different paths to wellness, wholeness and different things that qualify as 'good medicine'. I think good medicine includes feeling the wind in your face, smiling at feeling alive, feeling grateful for all the good fortune in your life and even as a kind of clumsy old guy ... feeling 'graceful'. Each day is a gift to be enjoyed. One thing that has been helpful for me is to avoid toxicity which includes toxic foods, congested toxic environments and toxic people. You have to know what is toxic for you and avoid it. And if you like building bikes then that's good medicine, too! Just go easy; be kind to yourself.
SB

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I don't know if I am just to stubborn or what I am 66 take no pills eat what I want and very healthy I think . I have always stayed active so I think that's the reason . I will admit to a little laziness hence the motor on my bicycle LOL . But these china girls will cause a person to get some exercise both physical and mental . SB I hope your getting better and I think you are right wind in face any just enjoying life is the best medicine of all .

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
YEAH oldtimer, I had my first one in 1993, a couple more since With the stents and a double bypass LIKE NEIL young said, DON;T LET IT GET YOU DOWN.
And Not complaining, but I ALSO just had my first Stroke on FRI, Aug, 2nd. I'm still riding SO I"M OK I Think. JUST Take better care of yourself than I did. I didn't change a thing after my first heasrt attack. JUNK FOOD, HAMBURGERS CIggerettes aND I'm STILL smoking. NO one ever called me a quiter. our body's are just another machine and if ya don't take care of it it's gonna break down.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
heal fast old timer. I would be just like you and taking care of my bike and other toys wanting to play however get the ok from the doc to ride your motorized bicycle first though

tommygunn1488

Mar 6, 2014
SANTA CRUZ ,CA
IN 2017 had open heart surgery 2 valves replaced got pig valves in 2019 had a catastrophic fork failure at about 35MPH busted left hand tore up right shoulder ,2021 gall bladder out and in june was in the hospital with septic pnuemonia and multiple pulmanary embolisms that one was scary coughing up blood but every thing is pretty much back to the way it was before that last trip to the hospital and alkl tha is why i havent been here for some time but since i got my harley sorted out ive been building a case reed bike and a bike with a yd100 and jackshaft will post pics soon.
something funny ive noticed about getting old is when im sitting down UP seems to get a bit farther away all the time