Trouble at High Speeds

GoldenMotor.com

KeenanB

Jul 29, 2013
Ilwaco WA.
I need some help. I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my bike for a few weeks now. Nothing I do seems to fix the problem.

Here's the deal,
I have a 49cc flying horse 2 stroke. Everything on it is pretty much stock. The only thing I did was put soft mounts on it. For about 2 weeks the power has been dropping out when I get to around 20 mph. I thought it was a carb adjustment but no adjusting of the carb seems to help.
I changed the plug cap because I thought it may not have been getting a good spark. Didn't fix the problem.
I thought "maybe the mixture is not right, and am running it too rich." So I am running about a 24-1 mix. That didn't work.
I was running it without the muffler cap on for a while and thought that I could be floating my valve because it didn't have enough back pressure, so I put the muffler cap back on. Still nothing.

The bike runs great until I get to about 20 mph then it starts puttering as if it were flooding, the tone changes and the vibrations increase. Then it loses all power until it slows to about 15 mph and starts accelerating again.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a noob to the motor biking world. This is my first one so I have a lot to learn. Help is much appreciated.
:-||

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
There are no valves on a 2 stroke the piston is the only valve. And I would start by reading the plug to see how its burning because even though you've tryed adjusting the carb it may be way off in jetting, elevation is a factor. Can you post a pic of the plug.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Delete the 'soft mounts'. They actually cause your engine to vibrate more -- resulting in the carb foaming the fuel. I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole that this will cure your issue!

Good luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Delete the 'soft mounts'. They actually cause your engine to vibrate more -- resulting in the carb foaming the fuel. I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole that this will cure your issue!

Good luck.
Ditto:
Soft mounting the engine is a mistake that will come back to bite you in more ways than one.
There has been a lot of discussion here about that subject. Take a little time and read what others have tried (and failed) in the way of resilient engine mounts. Your engine needs to be as solidly mounted to the frame as possible for many reasons; fuel foaming is only one of them.

Running with open exhaust is also bad. Not only can it cause a lean condition that is detrimental to your engine but it isn't doing our hobby any favors either.

Tom

KeenanB

Jul 29, 2013
Ilwaco WA.
Wow, you guys are awesome. I'll take off the soft mounts today and see if that resolves the issue. I'll let you know. If it doesn't , I'll take a pick of the plug and post it.

I'll keep you posted.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
proper backpressure is necessary to make a two stroke run right too.i also agree with the soft mounts,will cause problems with chain /drive sprocket when it shifts around.
the guys here are very knowledgeable,and for the most part there is/are no dumb questions.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
when the bike slows down, are you giving it throttle and the sound of your exhaust changes? are you getting fuel in ur line when this is happening? if not, is the gas cap vented? Also last guess would be a jet change after checking ur spark plug

KeenanB

Jul 29, 2013
Ilwaco WA.
So I am now a firm believer that soft mounting is one of the worst things that you can do to your bike! I took the soft mounts off and low and behold my frame had BROKEN IN HALF! It broke right where the bottom bracket was mounted. Apparently the guy that I bought the bike from didn't know that you're not supposed to drill through a bike frame and then attach an engine to it. I thought it looked suspect when I put the soft mounts on it but figured "well he builds these bikes all the time so he must know what he is doing". WRONG!

Anyway...luckily I have another bike and am putting the engine on it. Once everything is put together I'll see if the problem continues.

Thanks everyone for all the good advise. You can keep it coming because even if it's not the problem it's good to know.

@dumpstercrucher,
I'm not sure if the cap is "vented". It's just the stock tank that comes with the Chinese kits.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All kit supplied fuel tank caps are 'supposed to be vented' but some don't vent which causes a vacuum in the tank. Fuel will not flow. It's like holding your thumb over a straw.

I posted some info on the caps and why some don't vent. I'll find it and post it here for you.

Tom

EDIT: Look at post number 6 in this thread > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30967

Tom

Last edited: