Muffler has the runs?

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all, for a while now my Voodoo expansion chamber has been spitting out a muddy brown substance all over my rear forks. Any idea what this indicates? I also notice that my engine seems to be skipping sparks (ignites) sometimes. I'm running a stock plug and CDI, but I know I'm leaking a tiny bit out of my exhaust gasket. but the spit mud problem was occurring before that

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a too-short kickstand could dump one carb bowl worth of fuel into the motor even with the petcock turned off (leaky petcock could do that too)

starting the motor could push raw fuel to the muffler where it would act as solvent to remove rust from baffles and spill on ground

rush of fuel to the spark plug at startup could leave the plug a bit fouled

I'd check all this first before tearing anything down.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree with norm and tom. sounds like it's too rich. a little bit of unburnt fuel naturally comes out of a two stroke, unless you're using oils designed to run at 100:1.

if it's muddy brown, there's probably rust in the pipe.

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
I've tried moving the C clip up and it bogs like crazy, same with another notch down. I just tried a new SBP gasket, SPB lead wire and Iridium plug but I'm still having troubles...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't answer our question: How much oil are you putting in the fuel?

If you're running that 16:1 ratio that the instructions tell you to use, it's too much oil.
That's probably why you're seeing it coming out of the exhaust. It is also why your engine isn't running well.

Tom