Crash-N-Burn

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I always put a long zip tie on my spark plug wire. It may look goofy, but in an emergency you can give it a yank and the motor will die.

I'm glad you are O.K. and look forward to seeing the rebuild.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Scotto, sorry to here about the mishap. Do you know what made the throttle stick? I don't have a kill switch on my bike, and I do worry about shutting it off in an emergency, but I just don't want to add more wires to my handlebars. Anyway, knowing how yours stuck might give me some insight on what to look for when doing pre-ride inspections.

Gilbert
Hey Gilbert, I'm tearing the bike apart now and will let you know what I find....it's more than the kink it had at the top of the carb which I had straightened. When it over-rode the kill switch I went to lock-up the brakes but it was too late by then, the bike took off without me so to speak.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
that it bad news.

Zip tie on the sparkplug is brilliant as long as its on the boot for wire-breakage prevention.

I ususally go for the choke since most small engines will die at WOT with the choke on. Yank off the air filter and cover the induction with something that wont get sucked in.

I had a chain saw go off WOT and my friction drive unit just started slipping and smoking. I did the plug-wire yank that time.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
that it bad news.

Zip tie on the sparkplug is brilliant as long as its on the boot for wire-breakage prevention.

I ususally go for the choke since most small engines will die at WOT with the choke on. Yank off the air filter and cover the induction with something that wont get sucked in.

I had a chain saw go off WOT and my friction drive unit just started slipping and smoking. I did the plug-wire yank that time.
The induction on this engine will suck your hand through the intake valve and into the combustion chamber. When this bike gets out of control with a stuck open throttle, things happen quicker than your brain can think.....a deadman switch is your best friend in this situation.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Man, so my next question would be along the lines of, are you going to build another OHV monster bike? Or are you goina lighten up on the power and use a shifter? I think there is a sweet spot with the 49CC engines coupled with shifters.

Ripping your hub in two is just outrageous! POWER!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Wow split that hub like nothing. Your scaring me buddy!! I got to wounder about the power I have been running trough my stuff lol. Glade to hear you came out of it OK

About three months ago...

Boss man here at work at the shop had a Camaro made strictly for the drag strip. To great big ol Holly carbs on it and one mean blower. Which the power valves were all ready blown out of the holly carbs again.

To make a long story short a totally cherry mint tangerine pearl orange paint job. ''50,000 dollar show car'' ran away from it's owner ''with him in it'' Doing everything he could with the brake peddle. about 800 HP.... All you heard was the sweetest motor go through three gears like nothing and crash.

That one was very lucky he went about 25 feet hit his son's truck broad side and got to the key switch about the same time. Another 10 feet and it would have been unstoppable !!

We are gonna rebuild the front clip and completely and repaint it eventually. Roll Bar design saved this thing. Other wise the front clip would have been way wore. The whole thing made everybody feel sick inside for quite awhile...

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Man, so my next question would be along the lines of, are you going to build another OHV monster bike? Or are you goina lighten up on the power and use a shifter? I think there is a sweet spot with the 49CC engines coupled with shifters.

Ripping your hub in two is just outrageous! POWER!
I have 2 brand new engines, a blue 196cc Greyhound and a black 212cc Predator just waitin for a home. I won't build them as radical as my Slant engine because of the cost alone (over $1,000 in engine parts only). I love riding and racing the 200cc 4-strokes, but at the moment I'm building a 99cc for my daily ride. Won't need a shifter on that!

And yeah Goat........800 hp is bonkers!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This was the culprit that ruined my last ride of the year 2012. Knowing full well the condition of this toasted throttle cable, I just had to take it out for a ride.......big mistake!

kink at carburetor end

really bad kink in the middle of the cable housing

nobody's fault but mine......

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wow! Kinky cables just don't belong on a bike I guess.
Sorry to hear that it was a $7 part that caused the whole mess.
At least you were able to walk away from it!