Broken Motor Mount Bolt

GoldenMotor.com

kkalan

Jan 4, 2013
VA
Finally got my bike running great and I pushed it backwards and the chain jumped the rear sprocket and pulled the motor back and snapped the front motor mount bolt off. See picture. Anyone have any suggestions on getting it out? The motor is still solid I was thinking just spray some WD40 and ride it until it vibrates out. Any thoughts. It seems like it is one thing after another with this motor!

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
so many problems after you get the bolt out

chain should run true in both directions and never 'jump' the sprocket - needs fixing
motor should be mounted securely to the frame with no air between the two - put something in there to fill the gap (possibly motor leaned a bit to the left to throw chain off)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you actually confirmed that the bolt is broken off in the case? Could it have simply fallen out? It appears that you used allen head cap screws which are usually at least a grade 8.8. Shearing one would have taken some work.

Also what is the engine mount where it attaches to the frame made of? If that is rubber, it's why your engine moves and vibrates bad enough for fasteners to fail. The engine should be mounted solid to the frame with no resilient material between the parts of the mount.

I also agree that your chain/sprocket alignment is off. The chain should travel smoothly without binding no matter which direction you roll the bike.

Tom