Rear Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

ROGERk

Apr 16, 2012
oklahoma
This is my 1st try. When I tighten the rear sprocket on the spokes it locks up the wheel. I loosen the bolts then the chain comes off, also it seems the sprocket is about 1/4 inch out of alignment is there a spacer??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A photo of your sprocket installation would help us.

Some sprockets are dished. That is, the teeth are more to one side than the other. If yours is a dished sprocket instead of flat then it can be installed to put the teeth either closer or further from the center of the rear wheel.

It sounds like you have a coaster brake. If so there are things you can do to eliminate the binding. Use the Google search, keyword, 'coaster brake' and you'll have plenty to read on the subject.
Tom
Shoot us a photo and we can offer more advice.
Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I think Tom is on it, sounds like your sprocket might not be clearing the dust cap on your coaster brake, if that is your setup. If that is the case, you can either make the center hole in the sprocket bigger to clear the dust cap, or modify the dust cap. There are threads on here on it.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
You are corect I thought the center hole was too small?? I damaged the dust cap it won't stay on now!!
Options.. in order I like
1) Buy a new dust cap, and enlarge the sprocket hole.
2) Buy a new dust cap and trim the cap so sprocket will fit over it.
3) If possible use your dust cap and trim so the sprocket will fit over it.
4) Take a jar lid, trim the edges off, drill a center hole and use it like a washer.
5) Use no dust cap.
All will work, the brake arm holds the cap on if you have a coaster brake..