NEW! 2011 GT5 "Super Hawk" ???

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
my wet dream of owning a 4 stroke with a 12 volt charging system seems to be further off than i hoped, however i still check out dealers for hopes that they will soon carry them, then i stumbled across this...

"New 2011 Super Hawk GT5-A Angle Fire 80/66cc Bicycle engine kit. We call this one the "Super Hawk" beacuse it is a regular GT5 bottom end with a Super Rat top end. Wide 40mm intake hith high compression head. With a 45 degree angle plug the new Super Hawk with a smaller profile to fit in frames to tight before. Head can be rotated 90 degrees if spark plug forward is desired."

as noted here Grubee GT5-A 80/66cc Silver Super Hawk Bicycle Engine Kit

does anyone have any thoughts on this engine kit? i know there has been a mess of complaints on the 2011 GT5's, which i haven't come across a problem with them yet, but i would like to hear what any of you think before i toss almost 200 bucks out the window.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Looks like the same old kit with a newcarb

Yep, just has the "Super Rat" jug/cylinder that makes it take the larger wider bolt pattern intake for the CNs carb. all else is the same, it also come with the lite duty 410 chain and narrow sprockets, this alone is a big negative in my opinion, wouldn't mess with this one at all, still just a china girl with a weak chain and a junk CNS carb for more money than you would spend on a kit with a NT carb and a better chain and sprockets..... nope wouldn't spend my money on that one.

Just my $0.02

Peace, map

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just built one.

it is the rat barrel and the GT5 jug with the larger intake port.

the head has a very small combustion chamber and it's not as tall, which could make it prone to warpage.

it comes with what looks like better quality 6mm studs, but after i bottomed them out in the case, they weren't long enough to put nuts on.

the other studs look better, too, and the engine mounts and intake come with nylock lock nuts.

the intake is matched to the jug, and will take either the crappy cns carb or the NT.

the exhaust flange is still the same 'ol little dime sized hole that needs to get match-ported, and they also come with the small exhaust gasket.

comes with a lousy bicycle chain that fits really tight, so if the alignment is off a tiny bit it'll blow the chain. the sprocket still needs to be hogged out for a coaster brake.

the CDI box is smaller, and the plug wire is more supple, but still has the same crappy "boot," and the plug is a three pronged type, and the prongs aren't even. i just throw them away anyways and stick with the 'ol reliable NGK B6HS.

throttles are the same, with kill switch, and the old style hard plastic grips, that melt themselves into the styrofoam packing.

cables are still soft and stretchy, choke lever is the same joke as the rest of the cns's, and...

i think that's about it. oh, the fins look a little better.

performance wise?

the thing runs circles around the GT5. seriously.

when i first fired it up, it bogged for the first block (opti2 at 100:1 first tank) and i thought it had an airleak, then it took off like a rocket. could be because it was test run at the factory and had crap in it that needed to be burnt out.

GPS'd top speed of 36 with the stock sprocket, with really quick acceleration. i didn't even have to pedal off starts.

if you have a choice between the standard GT5 and the GT5 A Super Chicken, get the GT5A.

make sure you order an NT carb, too.

i've also reversed the barrel on one, but i can't get it to run right. haven't had enough time to mess with it.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
bairdco,the super rat jug is spossed to be 40mm openings on the intake and exhaust ports right? but your noticing them to be smaller/normal?

also what sense does it make to ship with a worse chain and sprocket,thats not the "grubee" i used to remember,whats really going on with them lately? do you think the sprockets will accept a #41 roller chain from harbor freight or tractor supply?

ive also heard that manic's CNC intake for that CNS carb takes all the problems out,is that true and worth it VS slapping a old style NT carb on? every NT carb ive had worked fine,but was a mess,leaks here and there.just nasty and not to much room for refinement without rolling the dice with a dremel tool,botching it then waiting 5 days for a new one in the mail.

also the super rat is spossed to have a 7:1 compression ratio,more than the GT5,however,there is no aftermarket head yet for the super rat. im just wondering if it makes dollars and sense to go for the this kit,but later on you cant slap an aftermarket head on.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the intake port is the same size as the exhaust (which i predict some newbie's gonna accidentally mix them up...;))

the exhaust port is the same size as all the other motors, and the pipe flange is still a little round hole that needs to be matched.

the intake is bigger and matched to the port.

i'm using a 41 chain and it works fine.

i don't think the intake is the problem with the cns carb. i think it's the carb itself. i thought i found the cure, as i modified one and it worked great for three days, then started pissing itself, so i threw it in the pile with all my other worthless cns's and put an Nt on. works perfect.

BUT, we've blown 2 head gaskets in 2 weeks, and warped the head both times. each time i lapped the head with sandpaper on glass so it was flat again. i'm waiting till it blows another one before i start mixing up other heads to see if it'll work.

i'm gonna build one up for myself this weekend, and start a thread with my results.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
thanks for the info bairdco, sounds to me like more of a reason to hold out for a 4 stroke kit. what a bummer you've had to go thru all that. the kits that i have installed and rode on were all pretty solid if there is a thing for cheap Chinese pot metal. i think im starting to agree with what some one else posted about these 2 strokes that they are more of a novelty item than a reliable means of transportation. its a damn shame cause when they worked right it was nice.

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
Hey, On the issue of blowing the head gasket, and gas leaks.
I always use Permatex Copper Spray -A- Gasket Hi Temp Sealer
Item # 80697 Spray Can!
This stuff works great on: Head gaskets, Engine gaskets, gas tank valve threads, Intake, exhaust, gaskets.
The way I use it is in a well ventilated area and maybe wear a mask, this stuff is strong. I use a long wire to hang the gasket on, then spray both sides and dry for 15- 30 minutes or over night. On threads I tape the parts you don’t want to spray and spray the threads let dry there you go. I never blew a gasket yet and no more gas leaks. You can get it at almost any auto parts store. I don’t work for the Co.
Hope this helps someone.

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
On the Issue of the CNS Carburetor on the New 2011 GT5!
I did see more power from take off, more speed, better acceleration wants to keep accelerating at high RPMs (I like) and starts on the first time! It is faster then a speed carb. (I did and do have issues tuning it). I want it to rev then come to an Idle quickly and purr like a kitten like my speed carb does on my other bike. But the CNS has issues. I run a boost bottle, a custom fitted and welded SBP Expansion chamber and a 8 speed shift kit. I like the power, it fells like a 4 stroke, deep smooth power sound. Best bike with the most power I ever had or seen on a 66cc china motor. Quickly hit 50 mph. Its very impressive. I wish someone can do a detailed video on you tube on how to set and tune a new 2011 CNS carb from the manufacturer or someone that know how to dial these things in.
Let me Know!
Give Feed-Back?
Thanks

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
I also forgot to mention the only thing I see on the 2011 GT5A Super Hawk is a different bigger intake Manifold and I guess the head is different that’s about it.
But then again they know it has more power then the 2011 GT5 Hawk!