66cc Chinese motor Electric start?

GoldenMotor.com

DingleberryPie

Nov 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
I was wondering if anyone here has gone about converting the standard two stroke chinese motor into an electric start?

All i see are 49cc pocket bike motors with electric start, I am starting a project where i am eliminating the actual pedal cranks and using the main bottom bracket as a jackshaft. So starting would be much easier with electric start

any input would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

DingleberryPie

Nov 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
In order to have an electric start, you'd need:

A starter motor
A battery
A charging circuit for the battery

I have to think the best place to mount a starter would be against the ring gear. A solenoid would be in order as well. Wouldn't be simple, but not impossible. And once you have a battery and a charging circuit, you can run lights off that, too.
Thanks. I am aware of what is needed to do it. I was just wondering if any one had specifics of modifying the engine to take one.

I know alot of 4 strokes have them internally housed.
alot of 49cc engines have them top mounted to the pull starter as well.
Just wondering if we can do something similar on this engine.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you are going to do all that ,Why not one of the pocket bike motors you mentioned,more reliable and ready to start

Reactions: nam70

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
im working on an electric start for mine, as i've eliminated the pedals altogether as well. Currently i have a pull start, but i working out an electric, at most looks like some respooling and a template to mount the 49cc pocketbike electric start to these babys.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok heres a idea cut a hole in the mag cover above the bolt a little bigger than size of a socket that fits the mag bolt then use a cordless drill to start the motor when it starts the socket may stick on the bolt thats ok just pull it off and use a socket extension with out a lock on it so the socket slips off when you pull the drill away

i think this could work in fac t im gonna try it out rite now be back soon

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok so i got it to work i found a 1/4 inch drive socket size 14 mm and started the motor right up

now theres good news and badnews the good news id to start the motor it turned clockwise and tightened the bolt
the bad news is once the motor tured on it was spinning faster than th drill and loosened the bolt

so if you could figure out a way to keep the mag nut from comming off this method could work

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ohh brain storm what about this crazy concept what if you spot welded the nut on not alot just enough to keep it on and be able to grind it off if you need to take the nut off

ok heres another brain storm now lets suppose you figured out a way to keep the nut on the bolt when engine is running faster than the drill used to start it , you then find sealed bearings to fit snugly with your socket attatch the socket and bearing in the mag cover and make it water tight drill a hole to fit them in seal it watertight and put it on the motor you would then have a simple drill start motor thats water tight the socket would be sticking out a little spinning but since a socket is smooth and cant snag anything it wont hurt any thing

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok so heres another add on idea lets say you have this sealed bearing with socket stuck in your mag cover that uses a drill to electric start your ride well your twnty miles from home and the drill is broke or battery dead well pull start your motor using a rope wraped around socket extension you would have to wind it up every pull but it would work i myself would just push start ut even with out pedals you can run your motor bike up to speed drop the clutch and apply pressure to seat to push start motor i know cause ive done it

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
just for the record i have started three wheelers that had brokin pull starts in the same way i fi could i would use a drill if i couldnt i would wrap a rope around the crank a pull one time and rewind the rope to pull again till it stared this is a slow process but works and i have driven them with out the recoil starter covers on(because i had to manualy wind the rope ) exposing very fast spinning parts that sometimes rubbed my leg or shoe it but didnt cause any injury or damage

DingleberryPie

Nov 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
Wow talk about posts galore.
Well the idea is you want to have the starter in the unit at all times. A hole there causes it to be susceptible to rain and moisture. not sure thats what i want

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
hay just an idea that brain stormed

what i was trying to say was the over all design would have the socket attatched to the mag cover sealing it from the weather with sealed bearings

you would have to see my picture in my mind to understand

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
For an electric start I was thinking of mounting a small motor on the seat tube with freewheel cog on my drive chain. The motor could actually power the bike but it would mostly be used for an electric "bump start"

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
Nice concept. How did the tests go? If it works a nice compact right angle cordless would be easy to carry around. What other options are there? If you don't have a jackshaft it becomes even harder. The drill may overcome that.

WallHaxx

Mar 18, 2017
Florida
ohh brain storm what about this crazy concept what if you spot welded the nut on not alot just enough to keep it on and be able to grind it off if you need to take the nut off

ok heres another brain storm now lets suppose you figured out a way to keep the nut on the bolt when engine is running faster than the drill used to start it , you then find sealed bearings to fit snugly with your socket attatch the socket and bearing in the mag cover and make it water tight drill a hole to fit them in seal it watertight and put it on the motor you would then have a simple drill start motor thats water tight the socket would be sticking out a little spinning but since a socket is smooth and cant snag anything it wont hurt any thing
I was thinking about doing exactly this. Have you done it successfully, or know of anyone who has?
Also, I think you could get away with not welding the nut by using the two-nuts method, only with the outer nut being smaller than the inner nut. I imagine one or both nuts would have to be thin, though it probably wouldn't matter for the outer nut. A bit of thread lock couldn't hurt either.
An even easier option would be to just use a rubber plug over the hole and make sure your socket stays on your drill. Remove for starting, then plug it back in. It just seems wayyyy simpler to carry a drill around than to add all the crap you need for electric start (including extending your pedals, which is my big gripe)