Greetings from Ireland

GoldenMotor.com

prunch

Jun 3, 2015
Ireland
Hi lads
Just joined. I have built quite a few of these over the last couple of years and have been checking out this forum for tips and advice. I have come across a problem with a 66cc engine. The small gear on the gear mesh keeps being thrown off and i have lost the half-moon washer type thing. Have found a replacement but there seems to be a bit of play on the shaft [crank ?] Sorry but i don't know the correct name for some of the parts but any advice would be very much appreciated

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us. I hope we can help you with any problems you might have.

You said you've "lost the half moon washer type thing". That is critical. It's called a 'Woodruff Key' and must be there to keep the small gear from spinning on the shaft. If it is broke or missing you'll have to replace it. It is a metric width and length.

Other members will have more advice for you so keep watching for more replies.

Tom

prunch

Jun 3, 2015
Ireland
Thanks 2door/Tom
OK i had a woodruff key from an engine that was scrapped [friend had a bad crash] .Is it advisable to use threadlock on the retaining screw for small gear.

Prunch

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When using any kind of thread locking compound we recommend using the type that is not made for permanant installations but is considered 'removable'. The Loctite brand we recommend is blue, not the red stuff. Loctite's product numer is #242. The red product, # 262 has no place on a motorized bicycle.

Let us know how you're doing.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

For some odd reason, I feel the need for a pint of liquid refreshment...........

prunch

Jun 3, 2015
Ireland
Thanks lads think i have iit sorted. Went on a wee spin and all seems well. Have had an engine on an old Raliegh for about 5 years and havn't had any problems ,use the bike most days only problem is our climate but i have to live with that.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A bit damp there, I imagine. We have our difficulties, too. Some places are so hot in the summer the asphalt in the road melts. In my part of the world it is cold with a very short summer. Had frost twice this past week and here it is June already. But like Ireland, when it is good, it is lovely indeed. Send us a picture of Sir Walter with his engine, please.
SB

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
Where are you based ? I live in Co Louth ( north east of Ireland for all you living outside Ireland ) had been on motorised bikes a few years now and in all type's of weather.

prunch

Jun 3, 2015
Ireland
I live in Clones in co. Monaghan .In Ireland we have accepted European road traffic legislation whereby if you need pedals for propulsion they are classed the same as electric bicycles.It is a bit of a grey area but they would need to change the law at a european level and i cant see them doing this as there would not be any huge call for that to happen. The only problem is i live very close to the border and the authorities in the north work under different rules, mind you i have had no problems with them so far.

ps. I will have to work out how to post photos as i wouldn't be that computer savvy. Will have to get my twelve year old to show me.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I live in Clones in co. Monaghan
Cool. My folks are from Roscommon and Longford. I've been all over Ireland EXCEPT for the north. Oddly enough, I was tooling around on Google Maps not too long to see what the boarder-traffic looked like, unfortunately the satellite images are blurry; is there much security or patrolling? Your area held specific interest for me due to the very unusual boarder-line to your west: it winds back-and-forth over Cavan Rd. Who the heck came up with THAT one?

prunch

Jun 3, 2015
Ireland
I actually live on the Cavan road and yes it does criss-cross the border quite a few times. There is no real security presence any more and the road was there long before the stupid border was imposed on us [thats enough politics] If you ever do make it to this part of the world give us a shout and i will show you around the border area be prepared for plenty of hills.