Sluggo Fat Tire 4-stroke shifter.

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This new customer custom build should be fun.
A Micargi 26" 7-speed Fat Tire with dual disc brakes.
http://micargi.se/product/slugo-ss-fat-tire-7-speed/

It is here and I would have my own pic of the bike up, but he is trading in his old Schwinn to the bike shop and keeping his old seat so there is no seat on it right now.

It is getting a 49cc 4-stroke jackshafted to use the 7-speed and keep the the rear disc.

I priced it for a 7G but I think I might put this new 10G short shaft I have designed for use with a SBP shift kit, it's a heck of a free transfer case upgrade but if anything it is going to test it's endurance because this is the high torque demand build for testing it.

Besides his original seat, it is also getting a back rack, harder than it sounds with a fat tire but TryMe (my local bike shop) had just the thing so he bought that with the bike.

This will put my unfinished 'winter impromptu builds' aside for now, but I don't ever pass up cool new totally cash paid in advance builds, and this won't be cheap, the Slugo and rack to fit were close to 6 bills out the door for him and I charge more than that to motorize it.

It would sure be nice if I could find another helper, someone younger and stronger to help for chump change pay just to learn and ride cool stuff.
My 25 year old son offered, that would be nice but I'm not going to count on him.

Cole (my best buddy main mechanic) took a bad spill Monday when his bike blew a front tire at 40 and screwed up his right shoulder, and I semi-dislocated my left shoulder yesterday trying to do things I had no business trying to do by myself, getting old sucks.

That's OK tough.
We heal slow but we still heal, and the two of us with only one good arm each can still probably outbuild most any kid.

We may not be able test ride it ourselves when it's done, we sure know what to do and test long before it ever sees gas ;-}

Reactions: Dylan Lee

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A 4-stroke with a SBP shift kit base fits pretty well.

Sorry for the messy background pic but it servers the purpose, I can indeed make the Slugo a 4-stroke shifter with a little customizing ;-}

Reactions: Dylan Lee and slump

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I sure like the longer wheel base on this than the Dolomite, that was cumbersome to ride.

Paint is drying while we finish a pesky repair but we should make some progress today.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yet another great build.
Not yet, but I am optimistic.
The bottom bracket may be an issue, just getting to that now.
It's 5.25" wide, but 3-piece cranks so I think I can just put a normal 2-stroke freewheel dual chainring and pedal combo right on it without having to change it out for the wide shaft and crank arms.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This dog will hunt...

I am just using a SBP freewheel dual sprocket chain ring on the bikes stock 3-spiece crank arms.

The left pedal wouldn't clear the new 10G case bottom at level so I just drilled new mount holes and oriented the 10G up to be level.

The left crank arm clears on the bottom now with enough pedal to put your foot on, but it's not like those funky 7G pedals that make you spread your legs so wide it feels like riding a horse.

Sure it has a lot of moving parts that need to be aligned perfect and totally secured but everything will indeed line and should play nice together without having to mess with extra wide bottom bracket.

That's it for today but some nice temped in 'proof of concept'.
That makes me a very happy boy ;-}

Reactions: slump

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Slugo is coming along.

Note neither the throttle cable or kill button wire is long to reach the engine with the ape hangers.
No biggie, just annoying ;-}

The new SBP 4S shift kit base is nice with 10G transfer case.
My hat is off to both SickBikeParts and Grubee for both making some simple design changes so the two parts play nice together.

The shift kit base has parallel sets of slots for different engine mount widths, and ideal for moving the engine forward and backwards to adjust left side chain tension.

With the ability to slide the keyed dual set screw sprockets anywhere you want on both shafts, it is easy to get the chain aligned anywhere you want in relation to the bike frame.

I am liking the 2.5L (2/3 gallon) gas tank on top too.
It seams perfect for the big bike to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: slump

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I agree on the tank. Is this an aluminum frame? They are everywhere, it seems.

It's good to know where I can get good insight on all of these kits, just in case I want an easier project next time :p

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I agree on the tank. Is this an aluminum frame? They are everywhere, it seems.

It's good to know where I can get good insight on all of these kits, just in case I want an easier project next time :p
A magnet says a steel frame.
When shopping for a bike take one along, if it don't stick it's not steel ;-}

I ran into an issue with the stock air cleaner, it is in the way of the transfer case output sprocket since I have it orientated up to clear the pedals.

As usual SBP to the rescue.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=134

It's still going to be tight though but not unexpected, builds like this always have 'special needs' as it were, but fun to do anyway ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The drive train is in so I took some pics before all the covers go on.
I even stood up a a white background so you can see things clearly.

This is the left primary side drive train.
Note the bottom of the T-belt between the little primary and big secondary, the belt is level.
This allows the bikes crank arm to fit under it's cover and not have to extend out past it.

Here is a right side view of the chains.

The jackshaft chains are KMC HL 710 1/2 link continuous chain.
No master link on either side, just continuous chain you should never have to dink with.

The stock air cleaner won't fit with the transfer case angled up so I have a better on the way from SickBikes, and we have to do some welding work on the exhaust pipe for a better fit, but the drive train is done.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks guys.

I am thinking of making up some bolt on kits with everything you need but the bike to reproduce it.
That is for another topic in another forum later however ;-}