Zen and the Art of Motorbicycle Maintenance.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
It doesn't look like much does it? Just a basic lengthening job on the sidestand fitted to my Wu Yang/Solex. However in undertaking that basic job tonight I was able to break free of a major personal block that has been haunting me for years.

When I had to take early retirement from the mental health service due to this illness I have I decided that I would spend my redundancy money on the kind of workshop equipment I'd always wanted. Finally I was going to have the time to work on old bicycles to my heart's content, and what's more I was going to have the tools to make anything I pretty much pleased.
Only I found that when I came to try and move beyond basic handtools type mechanicing I'd completely lost my nerve. I couldn't do it plain and simple. So for the past few years my lathe, welding gear and other tools of metal manipulation have sat idle. Oh I managed to do a little welding on my cyclecar frame just recently, but only because my daughter was interested and I forced myself to do it. Not very good welding either, nothing like what I used to be able to do.

At first I thought it was just because of my illness, but as it happens it was nothing like so clear cut. I was married for 15 years and my marriage partner whom I thought I would be able to loyally stay with through thick and thin suffered severely from bi-polar disorder. Having worked for the mental health service I now know my ex also suffered from periods of paranoia and psychosis. At the time though I didn't know any of this.

We had a small holding at the time on a coastal island and in addition to trying to make the property support us with what we could grow I picked up work here and there when local businesses had the need for somebody who knew one end of a spanner from the other. In a small community like that one folk had a very clear idea of who could do what and whether they were any good at it.

Of course with me being me I built things, mostly sidecar outfits, but I was building a tadpole three wheeler front wheel drive cyclecar too, but that never got finished because my marriage had well and truly broken up by then and it all came to a screeching halt. Pity really because it would have been quite a cool little car. Essentially the thing was built around a Hillman Imp engine and gearbox transaxle driving though front wheel drive components from a Morris 1100. A 1950s Skoda Octavia provided the chassis with the chassis's long spine backbone tube cut down to suit the cyclecar's shorter wheel base. Being an island everything that had ever been taken there was still about the place somewhere so most of the parts for this project cost me nothing but my time in collecting them from where they's been dumped.

When my ex was ill it was a living nightmare. Being harranged for my shortcomings and failings for hours at a stretch was only a small part of it. Mostly I made sure the children were safe and properly fed and looked after despite the madness breaking out all around them. Not being your average kind of woman made for fuel for the fire and most of the verbal abuse I endured was very cruelly barbed and very much aimed to wound. As time went on my ex was ill more often than well and eventually the Police and the local medical team were on the doorstep one morning and my ex was taken away to a psychiatric hospital.
When my ex was discharged and came home things weren't a lot better because my ex was putting meds down the toilet instead of taking them and would use all manner of cunning schemes to hide being unwell from the local community.
Then one day I looked in the mirror at myself and I knew I couldn't do it anymore.

The marriage breakup was messy and of course I blamed myself for not being able to endure it all anymore. Then when I was away from the island on a visit to the mainland my ex got the local wrecker and scrap dealer to come and clearout all my mechanical bits and pieces and projects which was a bitter blow. Among other things I had a nice collection of old engines including an Onan flat twin. Imagine what sort of a motor bicycle could be built around an Onan flat twin, but anyway it's all water under the bridge.

To get back to the sidestand I modified this job was such a major breakthrough because I used my lathe to turn down the two cut halves of the sidestand to fit the steel tubing I used to extend its length. The reason for my loss of nerve and my block with anything involving real engineering was that I was afraid that if I committed myself to building any kind of major project it would somehow be stopped and I would lose everything all over again.
Sounds silly doesn't it. You'd think that with the bits of paper I've got that say that I know what I'm doing when it comes to mental health interventions that I should have known what the problem was. But I didn't. Or at least not until tonight anyway. Pressing the switch that awoke my lathe from its long sleep served to finally banish the past and now I can get on with enjoying all my lovely tools and building whatever I want.

Just as a by the way I've found the solution to being badly fatigued by the hot and humid Summer weather which has always been a problem for me ever since I became unwell. Now I sleep during the day and I work on my bikes at night in the deliciously cool night air. And no I don't sparkle in the sunlight ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Good for you.

I started building motorbikes to keep me busy doing something that I had never done before to occupy my mind with something that I wanted to do and liked to do.

To keep me from blubbering over the loss of my wife from cancer. Yup, a mental health activity. So now it's coming up on 3 years and 5 motorbikes since she died and the sobbing has declined with the time.

Yup, motorbikes and mental health care is something we share.

Keep on keepin' on - :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you for sharing your own story Mike. Yes there is definitely something about a constructive hobby that helps us to heal mental wounds. Completing my latest build, - a Wu Yang 28inch wheeled bike with a Velosolex engine, - has helped me to turn a corner. Moreso since everyone including my doctor was telling me to rest and not to try to do so much.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've learned over the years that doctors can do some seemingly miraculous things. With that being said, I've also discovered that some are very interested in their job security by 'stringing things along'. When a mechanic fixes a vehicle, he doesn't say, "Let's go ahead and schedule a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks." You just go back if something isn't right.

There's something apropo about the saying 'doctors practice'............

My ex-wife (lasted 19 years.....shoulda ended much sooner) also had some 'issues'. Overall, I'm much happier now!

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Isn't it strange? Consider, for instance, the flat twin and some of the other goodies that were there. Naturally their loss was a bitter pill to swallow. But you were able to find other things to work with. And it's good that you were able to get past the 'block'.

The items were replaceable. Some, perhaps, more easily than others. But replaceable, all the same. The time is lost for good. Not that I mean to criticize you personally, Intrepid Wheelwoman. I'm just trying to remind us all that objects, even precious ones, are not all that important and, in the end, not even all that precious. "Doing" is what's important.

Congratulations on your victory. And look with happy anticipation on what you'll be able to do with it. Even if you lose some item that you make, the making was far more important than the keeping.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I deeply fear the day that I won't be able to go to my garage/shop and either tinker with something I've already built or start a new project. My hands, being directly attached to my mental well being need to keep busy doing, creating 'something'.

I got a taste of inactivity this past summer while nursing a broken bone. Sitting and reading, either here or a book on the sofa just didn't cut it after a few days. I was depressed, irratable and bored out of my mind. I finally devised a way where I could hoist my leg up and if nothing more, sit at my workbench and look at my bikes and car and model airplanes. It wasn't long, a week maybe, that I was out there, hobbling around and starting to repair the damage the crash caused to the bike that threw me. My attitude took a definate upswing (not unnoticed by my wife) and things continued to improve.
I have to surmise that my recovery from the injury would have gone much slower if I would not have been able to work on my hobbies.

My father-in-law was much like me. He loved his garage, workbench and tools. When he was unable to get out there due to his extreme pain and illness I watched his mental, then physical state decline steadily and culminate in a defeated, sick old man who convinced himself that he had nothing else to live for. He left us a year ago. I hope they have workshops and tools wherever he is.

Tom

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My biggest fear is my eyesight failing to the point I can't ride safely anymore. I could still work on motors by feel I guess after so many years, but not riding would take all the joy out for me.
My plan has always been to live forever.
So far, so good....

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
......or listened to this radio station?

http://www.hauraki.co.nz/

It must not take much to initiate a 'fact finding' mission for our intrepid forum members....... :D

(I actually have this saved in my "favorites" ----- really a cool site!)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
IWW, Just curious. Have you ever shopped here?
:)
Tom
That's my local hardware store! They're really great guys too and really helpful.

Xseler, yes i used to listen to Radio Hauraki a lot when I was younger. They had a big following when I was in High School because they were a genuine pirate radio station. At the time government regulations forbade setting up a private radio station and in protest a bunch of guys found themselves a large motor vessel, installed a radio transmitter and took it out beyond the three mile limit. Eventually the government of the day backed down and Radio Hauraki became the first licenced private radio station in New Zealand.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I guess I wasn't so Zen when I was muttering some foul language while fixing what I thought was going to be easy.

I bought inner tubes about 2 years ago that already came with that green "Slime" brand stuff inside. Each time I have to remove a wheel, I usually would rather just let some air out to have the wheel get past the brake shoes. I did disconnect the brake cable at the end but that did not provide enough clearance.

If I removed the shoes I could have not resorted to letting some air out, but aligning the shoes is not so easy so I let air out.

Slime finally caught up to my rear wheel inner tube valve. Air was leaking past the valve as the slime had contaminated it and it did not seal. I goofed and did not put the bike on the center stand. It was propped up so it would not fall over, but the weight of the motor bike must have had the rim abrade the inner tube when I removed the valve and it when completely flat.

When I replace the valve with a new one and filled the tire inner tube with air I saw the tire look fine, but a while later saw the tire flat and green slime, #^$^&!

I got a spare tube with out that @^%^ stuff and got the bike ready for some dirt biking in the US Forest Services parks designated for trail riding.

Working on the bike can be fun, but getting out and riding it, that's it!!!

MT

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Intrepid Wheelwoman, xseler, 2door, maniac57, Mike B: thanks for confirming that some of the crap I've gone through is not so uncommon and that my reaction to it is more understandable than I might realize.
Even thought it felt weird to me, even though at the time (late 2010) my broken bones were still healing, I was drawn to snatch up my crutches and hobble out to my demolished bike and, with the bones of the JC Higgins, begin a new build. I agree here: my healing and sense of well-being truly felt like they were improving once I resumed doing something I loved. Sarah probably thought I was nuts, but she never tried to stop me. I think she noticed something about me and just let it go.
Doctors seem to agree that depression has a profound impact on the healing process, physical and otherwise. And I was horribly depressed in the hospital. Dreaming about my next bike-build mitigated my depression somewhat. Fighting through the pain to go out and work on my bike lifted my spirits tremendously. Even my doctors noticed the improvements later.
In my life I've lost friends, family, loves, a child; I've fallen from trees, roofs, been hit by cars and trucks; I'm probably loopy as a jaybird by now. But I try to stay true to myself and what I enjoy. And true to my friends, because they've been more of a help than they'll ever know.

Last edited: