Motorized Bike Break in Update

GoldenMotor.com

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Ok so I have run my bike for 6 gallons or so.

Maintainence wise the bolts kept getting loose for about a week or two, then I decided to forget about the 12 pound torque setting on the heads, and tighten them till they snugged and a little.

I did that on all the bolts holding engine, and the exhaust.
Now I find that they don't loosen as quickly at all, or the engine gets loose and vibrate badly, as it was doing after a few rides.

There was horrible squealing coming from the engine at one point.
Traced that down to no lube in the clutch shaft. Once gear moly in there
ran fine again.

Gearbox does run more quiet with the gears lubed.

Wore through factory tire in 5 gallons! so I bought this
http://www.sears.com/schwinn-26inch-x-2.125inch-cruiser-tire-with-kevlar/p-080W029801060001P

Now it seems this has cut my top end speed down. But on plus side because it is heavier i don't seem to get that low speed tugging on the hub as I go slowly down the sidewalk. I don't reach that level of engine vibration where
i have to back off. So this should help engine piston ring survival. This is what I wanted by buying the 32 tooth drive. Keep my engine rpm peak down so I don't run full tilt revs.

Also the bronze plug clip fell out of my boot, so this might be giving me a
not so good spark, and thus crapping out at high RPM load. Bike still runs
but I question the connection after having it fall out!

All in all a blast to ride, provoking love hate responses from neighbors!
Love people running out of house (in my deed restricted bunghole) saying
hey you you don't live here get out of here!!! LOL!! Boy they hate it when i tell em I do live here!

I even let some teen take it for a spin! Man was I crappin, but his mother was there so I figured he'd come back. I mean someone I had no idea who it was.

Guess what I really need is a good light now. Those flashlights with the lithium battery blow, I forget what size, but panasonic only makes good ones
18650's. They go dim too quickly. And the vibrations tend to short them out quickly. What is the voltage out of the motor lead? Anyone know where to get a nice 12v light or 6v light whatever it is? I like bullet design. But dish spotlight style ok too.
Then there is the draw off the magneto, that effect the spark?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have found these machines to be relatively cheap 'adventures on wheels'.

Take that as you may.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The white wire from the magneto is almost useless, trying to run lights from it can kill the motor's spark. Your best bet there is to either tape it off, or disconnect it inside the mag cover and remove it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just curious as to why the neighbors don't like your bike. Is it muffled?

Forget the white wire. It won't give enough power to run a decent headlight. Cut the white wire off or at least isolate it from touching anything and ignore it.

Throw the spark plug boot in the trash and buy a good automotive quality one from and auto parts store. That plastic piece of junk will only cause you grief.

Tom

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Good news! After I snugged down the cap to make sure the bronze tip was not rattling
loose, I went for a spin on my test loop. Now the bike runs just as fast as it did!
What was causing it to not get up high was the crummy loose boot! It was detonating
badly and not revving as high.

Good thing about the tire is it has killed the bad high end vibration I used to get at
full throttle! And the low end jerkiness.

rock out

Jul 5, 2013
canada
If your looking for a good light I'd go with a x7 Cree off eBay for around 50$ shipped thats what I use its rated something like 9800lumens and is bright as **** maybe even on the blinding side