online security. asked for my 3-digit security code

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
NEVER before, have i been asked for my debit card 3-digit security code, when making a purchase online. the card # and exp date has always been enough.
a few music download sites are asking me for it.
i'm not really certain i want to give that out. anybody know if i should or shouldnt?
"is it safe?"
"is it safe?"

(a homemade apple pie goes to the first person who gives the name of the movie thats taken from.)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
When I was in the autoglass business we did mobile installation. Sometimes the customer would pay with a credit card and my credit card machine always asked for it. Also I have been asked many times for it in phone purchases. I have never had any trouble. I cannot win the pies because I am not a big movie fan.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
"is it safe"from that madd dentist working over Dustin Hoffman in
the movie Was it "Marathon man"? I'm not sure!!
I cringe just thinking about that. drilled a hole in his front tooth then blew air on the exposed
nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
that would hurt. that is right up there with a prostate exam.
Did I win the pie????????

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
It is exactly as safe as buying anything online. If you put any of the numbers out there, you are at risk. Not saying not to, I do it all the time. I try to do it as smart as possible though. I have a small limit card for internet purchases and a seperate card for "just in case."

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I really wouldn't know, but why don't you just download the music for free?

A lot of people out there offer music free via the sharing thing. Check out filestube.com (that's just one of them) and when the search results are displayed, look for the source of that file (it'll be right under the link for that file). Go to that source to make sure it's still up and also to make sure there is or isn't a password for it. Also, that source is another extra, because a lot of these sites offer more than what filestube does.

Then follow the links and download it. The only difference with these types of files is that they're generally "rar" files, but a free tool called 7zip or a similar Winzip app will work, to open them. That's what I do and I've downloaded hundreds of CD's so far.

The music is free, you just got to know how to get it that's all and it's easy too.

dance1

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
yeah i've bought a ton of things online and in the past 2 years or so i've always had to enter the code.

if you are worried about giving out that info online you can get prepaid visa cards just for online purchases. kinda like civlized said with his small limit credit card, but with the prepaid visa no one can steal your credit. just steal what ever you have left on the card.
Definitley the best way to go and if your credit is shot it dosen't matter.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
pretty much standard practice to ask for security code when buying online anymore that or they ask for zip code

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
"is it safe"from that madd dentist working over Dustin Hoffman in
the movie Was it "Marathon man"? I'm not sure!!
I cringe just thinking about that. drilled a hole in his front tooth then blew air on the exposed
nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
that would hurt. that is right up there with a prostate exam.
Did I win the pie????????

yep. thats it! i ate the pie already. sorry. :(

i guess i have given out before. for whatever reason, at that time i didnt remember that and was freaked out. i dont have to do it all of the time, though.

i used to download illegally, but for $39.99 i got a lifetime membership with unlimited downloads via MP3 Suite. ive downloaded over 100 songs since last night and couldnt be happier, knowing the suede-denim secret police will not be knocking down my door.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I really wouldn't know, but why don't you just download the music for free?

A lot of people out there offer music free via the sharing thing. Check out filestube.com (that's just one of them) and when the search results are displayed, look for the source of that file (it'll be right under the link for that file). Go to that source to make sure it's still up and also to make sure there is or isn't a password for it. Also, that source is another extra, because a lot of these sites offer more than what filestube does.

Then follow the links and download it. The only difference with these types of files is that they're generally "rar" files, but a free tool called 7zip or a similar Winzip app will work, to open them. That's what I do and I've downloaded hundreds of CD's so far.

The music is free, you just got to know how to get it that's all and it's easy too.

dance1
One of the easiest ways to break a law other then ridin a mb..wee.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Why is it illegal? Since when is it not O.K. to share music?

I would think that if it was, they'd never allow them to be uploaded in the first place.

Now, I could see it being illegal if I was taking them and selling them, but I'm not.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Talk to the big corporations 'bout that hiker - 'Sesame Street' apparently had it all wrong, sharing is evil and is the biggest threat to the world since terrorism, actually according to MGM and a few others - actually funds terrorism :rolleyes: (I'm really not makin' this BS up, check: P2P filesharing funds terrorism? Enquiring congresspersons want to know. goggle for more ifn ya want) despite the fact there's no monies exchanged with p2p unless yer gettin' scammed.

They really can't do much to combat sharing - but you can bet they're trying, while they don't tend to target the "lil fish" (those who jus' DL a few songs here and there), know that your ISP is not only carefully watching your bandwidth consumption but is actively embedding malware and "fake" files (Comcast is the number one bastid, Search Results comcast for the tip of the iceberg) and we've even caused some international incidents and riots by attempting to enforce our domestic copyright laws in other countries (Sweden is a primary example: Sweden threatened with Trade Sanctions by the US).

Still, simply downloading is a "gray area" and while you might get some hate mail from your ISP and mebbe even get your service disconnected - uploading (sharing your stuff w/others) is hazardous, the more you share - the greater the risk, this has nothing to do with generating a profit - even simple sharing is the devil.

Perhaps one day they'll realize that most of this "piracy" is a direct reflection, in opposition to the corporation's rampant greed - that they're not likely to get any sympathy while they're trying to sell single songs for a freakin' dollar, tracks that may well erase themselves after three plays or if you try to transfer them to another 'puter (digital rights management (DRM) encoding is one example), or a plastic disk valued at 50c or less being sold for $20+ even though it's been censored and/or such a low audio quality that it sounds like they're singing thru a pillow (done to reduce filesize, thus decrease the time it takes to batch burn in massive quantities).

*shrug* No - it's far simpler to turn all of our younger generation into criminals for doin' what we always told them was the nice, right thing to do - play nice & share with their friends

Do w/e ya want - but know that it's mildly dangerous, even if for no other reason than you're never quite sure what you're downloading till after you've got it (potential for malware), it's a greedy, evil world and the 'net is a prime example - a lil paranoia goes a looooong way on the interwebz ;)

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Why is it illegal? Since when is it not O.K. to share music?

I would think that if it was, they'd never allow them to be uploaded in the first place.

Now, I could see it being illegal if I was taking them and selling them, but I'm not.
Since the 90's. If it is copyrighted, it is illegal to share by copying even without monetary gain. Same thing with movies. Haven't you ever read the warning at the beginning of a movie or on a CD cover?

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
how about this. Its legal to make back up copies of software, moives, music, ect. but its illegal to circumvent the copy protection on the media. So your paying a corporation to impose copy protction that limits your right to make a back up copy. WTF? long live the pirate bay.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Hmmph! I had no idea. I do know, however, about the threat of malware from some of these files, but with my triple-layer protection, I don't have any problems.

Alright, I have a question concerning online movies. A while ago, I was into watching online movies. You know, click on the link and wait until the movie loads and then you sit back and watch it. I got a tool called Sothink that could catch the stream of that movie and save it to my pc. It works great and I burned them to disk (about 100 of them). Now, of course they would need to be converted so they can run in a standard DVD player, but I don't care about that. Is this illegal too?