Florida electric bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
We have gone over this so much and I have read it over and over.

20mph on level ground , right ?

Depending on the hill, bicycles can go over 60mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFpNsZXWgc&feature=related

That is why they have those real pricey wheels, brakes and tires and such.

So going downhill the speed limit on any bicycle is the posted speed limit, right ?

Surely you don't have to hold the brakes to go 20mph downhill because you used an electric motor to help get up hill ?

Very little level ground where I live. Not big hills for sure but still not level. :)

Twice the words level ground.

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/florida-drivers-license-n-o-t-30183-3.html#post294754

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I think I can understand why Florida DMV does not want gas powered bicycles included with electric bicycles.

A gas powered bicycle with a gas tank is a bomb at speeds allowed for bicycles in Florida.

States that have linked gas with electric bicycles say 20mph tops.

We don't want that in Florida !

We have the most free electric bicycle laws in the country ! :)

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
This says 60mph max and 5000w max in Florida.

Electric bicycle laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess 60mph is the fastest a bicycle can go in Florida because the only place you can go faster is on the interstate and bicycles are not allowed on the interstate. :)
Someone obviously changed that (grid part) on wikipedia as a joke..
The true law for electric in FL is no more than capable of 20mph (on level ground), no matter what wattage the motor is and no DL needed.

If you read the actual section underneath that grid, you will see the correct info.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Someone obviously changed that (grid part) on wikipedia as a joke..
The true law for electric in FL is no more than capable of 20mph (on level ground), no matter what wattage the motor is and no DL needed.

If you read the actual section underneath that grid, you will see the correct info.
The only way I can think of to make a bike like that would be have a level sensor that would cause the motor to cut out at 20mph when on level ground.

I don't have a problem with that law.

Most electric bikes would strain going 20 mph up hills and 20 mph is fine for me on level ground.

Going down hill an electric bicycle can go as fast as the posted speed limit in Florida. ( not level )

Sounds fair. In some states people can not go over 20 mph on an electric bicycle. I think they want people going electric in Florida ! :)

The Florida electric bicycle founding fathers have given us a lot of freedom with electric bicycles. Lets see what we do with that freedom !

Free electric charge stations.

Free electric car charging stations open in Delray Wednesday

And I agree about Wiki . Online info about Florida electric bicycles is all over the place !

No thanks to craigslist sellers in Florida that post every day it is legal to drive gas motorized bicycles and members of forums that more or less say screw the law and drive them anyway in Florida !

The law as it is written is very simple and I have read it over and over. Got it !

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Most of us knew what you meant...
Anyways, I digress... What I would REALLY like is a law that makes it 25mph instead of 20.. That would be better, since most electric bikes in the 36v range can do 20-23mph. The point would be that most places in rural area's have a speed limit of 25.. If they allowed that speed on electric bikes, the people with those could ride in the middle of those streets instead of off to the side where there is a lot of debris and the like (as well as most of those streets are not made for both card and bikes, unless there is a bike lane).
This would also force the people in cars to actually go the speed limit in those areas.. I personally see cars doing 35-40 on such roads.. Dangerous to say the least.

Last edited:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
most if not all police.and courts are going to base a decision on the maximum speed capability of an e-bike on the manufacturer's specifications just as the Oregon judge did in the other thread. There are just too many variables to draw a conclusion any other way to be practical.